Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
>not very concerning with the solstice which has already been discussed many times, but figured some of you might be interested in the article
Will Coronavirus Wreck The Classic Car Market?

"In August 2019, we suggested how it might be a good time to thin out the classic car collection. Now vintage automobile prices are moving lower, which could result in a sharp correction.
With an economic depression unfolding in the second quarter, the classic car market could see downward pressure. Understanding how deep a correction would be is anyone's guess at the moment, but what is evident is that a record number of Americans were just laid off and will need to sell assets to build cash. Some of those assets include, as this piece is centered around, classic cars, as well as art, wine, etc...
To show automobile prices, we are sourcing Hagerty Market Rating, which provides a variety of classic car indexes.
Hagerty's Muscle Car Index appears to have "recorded the largest drop" of any automobile index for the "second time in a row, falling 7 percent to a five-year low" in January, said Hagerty valuation editor Andrew Newton. "

·
Registered
156 Posts
Brethern,
I'm thinking there will be some very good deals soon on classic cars for those who still have some disposable income.
But there's a reason I picked " Nervous Norvous" for my forum name !

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think the regular Joe that has a classic car and is living on the edge of paycheck to paycheck without much savings could see their hobby become a necessary asset to sell which is unfortunate. Before the virus I think the classic car market was heading for a decline with the people most interested in these cars starting to age out of he buyers market. Not many millennials at car shows or cruze nights. The virus may just speed up that decline in the market.

I have the Solstice and a 68 Buick GS convertible and I don't plan on selling either any time soon I also know that they are not going to contribute much to my retirement account when I do.

Regular Joes which I believe are the heart of the classic car market don't have wine and art collections and its doubtful that many of the people that have those types of collections are going to have to sell them to survive.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Probably some very good buys out there but a bad time if you have to sell.

Local dealerships are trying to get people onto their lots - but no test drives! They make you buy the cars but give you a 72 hour full refund policy once you have paid for it. Used private market will be down just because those practicing self isolation aren't going to want to test drive or allow others to test drive their cars.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Remember the rise and fall of Harley Davidson due to baby boomers aging out of them? I've been getting the feeling that the same thing is going to happen in the classic car market. Though the pandemic may be accelerating the process much faster. This season big car auctions should be a good indicator of what the future holds for the classic cars market.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts