Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received my ASAP gloss blk vinyl kit, however when I went to watch the installation DVD it gave me "Disc Error", plus received 3 vinyl pieces. One is cut to fit A pillar, 2nd for tulip panel, but also received a 3rd piece about a foot wide and 4 1/2 foot long. Not sure what's that for?

Already contacted ASAP but haven't heard back yet, and yes I cleaned the DVD player. Help!

·
Super Moderator
16,396 Posts
I have applied film stripes, clear bra etc on my car in the past. The key to success is to use soap and water sprayed on the sticky side of the film and the surface. Then you can slide the film around to get it aligned, and use a soft squeege to work the air bubbles and water film out from under the film. Works great.:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

That's how we used to stick all of our "advertisements" on the showroom cars and get all the airbubbles out. We used to use Windex though.... Never hurt the glue on the cheap stickers Ford sent us!! LOL....;)

·
Super Moderator
16,396 Posts
Windex works well. Good suggestion. I have used it. The key is to wet the surface, wet the back side of the film and for large pieces wet the front side as well so the squeege does not scratch the finish of the film:grouphug::agree::grouphug:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Have installed their A-pillar piece. Another key is to have a sharp new exacto blade to trim the edges properly. Didn't watch a CD; just have patience, be careful and take your time. It will turn out really nice! :)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hello. You must watch the video!!. I have laid a lot of vinyl and decals but our first kit came withOUT the video, So I went ahead as I have done in the past using a squirt bottle with a little soap and water with a squeeze gee using a heat gun for the edges, No Problem right, Wrong!

This film does not need water just clean the surface first. The film will not stick you can lay it out then pull up if not placed correctly. Once in place then you can squeeze the air out while using a heat gun to aid around corners.

The A piller is a piece of cake to do while the tulip panel takes more time and patience especially if you go completely around the back.

The third smaller piece in the kit is simply a cut off that you can use on other areas of your choice. Thanks Norm

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
I've been apply vinyl for over 30 years. Don't use a dish soap.
You just need a small amount of glycerin in the water to help it from evaporating to fast while doing the application.
Use a teaspoon of Dawn or Joy in a plant sprayer bottle, fill with tap water. Use on the fine atomized spray and spray the adhesive side of the vinyl and the surface you want to apply it to. Flood the area you want to work in and apply the vinyl.
Then squeegee out the solution and if the vinyl has a cover sheet of paper application tape, allow the surface to dry for a half hour or so before pulling the application tape off. That will help in eliminating air bubbles.!
Then, you can spray a little water on the application tape after install to help it release from the vinyl easier.
Good Luck! And enjoy the results of your new look!!

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
I've been apply vinyl for over 30 years. Don't use a dish soap.
You just need a small amount of glycerin in the water to help it from evaporating to fast while doing the application.
Use a teaspoon of Dawn or Joy in a plant sprayer bottle, fill with tap water. Use on the fine atomized spray and spray the adhesive side of the vinyl and the surface you want to apply it to. Flood the area you want to work in and apply the vinyl.
OK, now I'm confused! You say "Don't use a dish soap" and then say "Use a teaspoon of Dawn or Joy"... Isn't that dish soap?

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
OK, now I'm confused! You say "Don't use a dish soap" and then say "Use a teaspoon of Dawn or Joy"... Isn't that dish soap?
Yes, dish soap is different than a detergent like Dawn or Joy.
The dish soap can effect the longevity of the adhesives bond to the painted surface.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Yes, dish soap is different than a detergent like Dawn or Joy.
The dish soap can effect the longevity of the adhesives bond to the painted surface.
Hope that helps!
Sorry, but no. Maybe give an example of what IS 'dish soap'. If I hear 'dish soap', I would normally think of products like Dawn or Joy.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
cut and paste from the interweb:

Have you ever wondered why we wash our clothes in detergent but wash our
hands in soap? What’s the difference? Soap has molecules that surround the dirt and oil
on your hands and then they get washed away with water. Detergent is soap plus things
called builders that reduce the hardness of the water.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
I'm with TS on this one, some brief googling and reading leaves me with the impression that the terms soap and detergent are used interchangeably.

How about some examples of each? :dunno:

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Detergent:

1. any of a group of synthetic, organic, liquid or water-soluble cleaning agents that, unlike soap, are not prepared from fats and oils, are not inactivated by hard water, and have wetting-agent and emulsifying-agent properties.

I believe the concern for a true "soap" is the presence of the fats or oils that would possibly have an adverser reaction or impact upon the adhesive.

That being said, it all may be relative depending upon the adhesive in play. Some may be sensitive to the fats or oils, some may not. My initial reaction is that most adhesives would be sensitive to the fats and/or oils.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
So are we talking about the differences between the stuff we use in the dishwasher and the stuff we use in the kitchen sink?

Please post some examples of "dish soap" vs "detergent like Dawn or Joy".

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Dave - you'd probably be hard pressed to find a true dishwashing "soap" anymore - most are detergents.

Maybe 30 years ago (when Stvz first started applying the vinyl) you might have found more true "soaps" out there. :lol:

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My graphic shop is installing the A pillar/tulip panel kit for free since the heritage stripe replica stripe they are making for the car will be going over the A pillar/tulip kit. They are experienced in applying automotive wraps, plus will be reviewing the ASAP instructional CD.

Had hoped they could of wrapped the stripe over the Aftershock spoiler and stop just above the 3rd brake light, but was told the leading edge of the spoiler is so curved the chances of the vinyl stripe wrinkling during the application process wouldn't be worth attempting. So basically being forced to go with plan b which is to just extend the stripe as far back on top of the spoiler as possible.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
My graphic shop is installing . . .
Are you trying to get us back on topic here? Sort of?

Heritage edition stripes weren't designed to wrap around and over the edge of the spoiler.

But that gives me an idea. I'll have to consult with my friendly vinyl guy in the near future.

Pictures when it's done if you will!

:thumbs:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
Dave - you'd probably be hard pressed to find a true dishwashing "soap" anymore - most are detergents.

Maybe 30 years ago (when Stvz first started applying the vinyl) you might have found more true "soaps" out there. :lol:
Vinyl is so much more versatile today than it was back in the dark ages. The application techniques have also changed remarkably.

The materials and techniques have changed a lot since I used a vinyl applique on my first (only) Kappashield back in 2006. :yay:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts