Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm installing a Kenwood DDX396 head unit in my '06, and Crutchfield included the Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel interface with the Axxess GMOS-LAN-03 integration module and harness. Everything works except the steering wheel controls. After I go through the steps to program it, it doesn't recognize the steering wheel buttons, and sometimes instead activates OnStar. I've updated the ASWC-1 firmware and the programming software shows that it is set up for a Kenwood receiver. Is anyone using this interface, and if so, any thoughts on what might be going wrong?

Aside -- I did notice in the GMOS-LAN-03 instructions it said for "Saturn Sky 2006-2009" to cut the green/orange wire, but did not list cutting that wire for the Solstice (but it did list other Pontiacs). I tried it both ways, neither of which worked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this problem when I put a Pioneer deck in my GXP. Turns out the buttons aren't "smart", they just have a different resistor value on each button, so having a GOOD ground is super important for the Axxess module. I had tapped into a ground that was under the dash somewhere when I did my initial install and I had similar symptoms to you. Once I grounded the Axxess module to a solid, direct ground without tapping it into anything else, everything just started working. Check your grounds - you may be in a similar boat.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Good memory Mark! Yeah I had troubles with mine and yes, each steering wheel button is a different resistance so it's important that all your connections to the steering wheel interface are soldered and not crimped. That was the very first question that Crutchfield asked me when I called them for tech support.

If you have tried all avenues to get it working, don't hesitate to call Crutchfield as they will spend as long on the phone as needed to get it working. In the end they had to send me a new interface as the old one was dead. Literally 5 minutes after I received the new one in the mail I had it plugged in, programmed and working.

You might have a bad interface. I imagine it's rare but make sure all your connections are soldered and if you still can't get it call Crutchfield.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is the issue that when you try to “program” the ASWC-1 switch, on-star comes on? I fought with that switch last week. The solution was to pull the on-star fuse, hold the volume up for 3 seconds when turning the key on.

If it doesn’t go into program mode, you will need to do the rest on the switch. Go through the programming again.

When it recognizes the steering wheel switches, you will need to turn the ignition off and on. This will lock the programming in.

Replace the fuse.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I didn't have the Onstar issue at all but what Kappasky suggests is worth a shot.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had a lot of trouble getting mine programmed to the point where all of the buttons would work. I finally called the tech support for Axxess. They walked me through all of the published programming methods with the same results. They finally had me go through an undocumented programming procedure and that finally worked.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello,

Yes, the trouble seems to be that OnStar won't quit trying to be helpful.

Every connection is soldered and covered with heat shrink. I've been using a 3:1 shrink ratio tubing that has heat-activated glue in it. I like it.

I wired this in with the integration harness that came with the GMOS-LAN-03 integration module. That harness connects the integration module to the factory radio harness and the aftermarket radio, and has a connector for the ASWC-1 pre-wired.

I took the advice and pulled the OnStar fuse, and that made the process work just like the instructions. I reset the module, got the fast flash, held volume-up until it stopped. I got 7 green flashes (first one long, then 6 short). I then got 2 red flashes (for Kenwood radio, which is correct). It went solid red for several seconds, then green. The instructions say that it's recognized the car and the radio, and that it should work.

No dice. I tried it several times.

I'm suspicious of the GMOS-LAN-03 harness that came with the integration module. The SWC-1 instructions say that pins 2 (white/green wire) and 4 (green/orange) on the module should be grounded for our cars, and the steering wheel control from the car's harness is on pin 3 (yellow/green). The GMOS-LAN-03 harness only has wires on pins 2 and 3, and they don't 100% match the wire colors for the SWC-1. There is a white/green wire on pin 2, but pin 3 is green/orange and there's nothing on pin 4.

I think I need to call Axxess. I suspect either the harness is wrong, or (more likely) there's yet another thing I need to do that's not documented.

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
Do you have an ohm meter? You can check the car end if you do.
If my math is correct:
V+ = 1,270 Ohm
V- = 1,564 Ohm
Up = 1,912 Ohm
Dn = 2,387 Ohm
Mute = 3,102 Ohm
If those values are correct there almost has to be a problem with the adapter.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello,

I used the manual programming method tonight, and it worked.

For completeness -- for my '06, to make the ASWC-1 work with the GMOS-LAN-03 module and harness, I had to pull the OnStar fuse to keep it from interfering, and I had to use the manual programming method detailed in their instructions.

Also note that the instructions with the GMOS-LAN-03 module are not clear on cutting the Geen/Orange wire. They say to cut it for 06-09 Sky, but not for Solstice. For my '06, it does NOT need to be cut. The instructions for the GMOS-LAN-04 module (same as the 03, but for factory amplified cars) say to cut the wire for Solstice as well (and they get the Sky years right, as 07-09). I would try the manual programming method before cutting that wire with either module.

It seems odd to me that after pulling the OnStar fuse, the automatic method looked like it worked, but failed. The manual programming method was pretty easy.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello,

This was working fine until just before we left for NASSAM 2019. My radio (Kenwood DDX396) started to randomly reboot itself and reset to factory defaults. It would work for 30 minutes or an hour, then reset. On the 600 mile drive to Corning, it only did it a few times but then became more frequent by the time we got to Corning. While there, it kept doing it and then developed a second symptom -- the speedometer and tachometer would drop to 0, then immediately come back to normal, and the instrument cluster lights would temporarily come on.

At first I thought the reboots might be a wiring fault, but after the gauge cluster started acting up I decided it must be something to do with the ASWC-1 since it's the only thing in the system common to both. The ASWC-1 is connected to both the radio and to the CAN bus. I assume (!) that the module is failing and either temporarily shorting out the CAN bus, or otherwise corrupting it, causing the cluster to blip. I don't know what it's doing to the radio to cause it to reset.

While at NASSAM I disconnected the ASWC-1 and the problems went away. The radio and gauge cluster worked fine for another 800+ miles. I'm going to see if I can have it replaced under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
I could look this up, but I take it that the ASWC-1 is what gives you chimes and turn signal sounds?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello,

No, there are two modules involved. The ASWC-1 is only for steering wheel controls. It sees button presses on the CAN bus (or GMLAN? I don't remember which one my car has off the top of my head) and sends a signal (which I have not investigated) to the radio via a one or two-wire interface depending on the radio.

The chimes come from a separate module. I used the GMOS-LAN-03 module, which also connects to the CAN bus to know when to play the chime, and for OnStar integration. The front speaker wiring from the radio routes through it. The turn signal sound is from a relay that clicks. The relay doesn't switch anything, they're just using the sound of the relay toggling to make the turn signal sound. Kind-of silly given that the module can make chime sounds through the speaker... If my '06 supported it, I would have used the iDataLink Maestro RR since my radio supports it, and had a lot of interesting data from the car available through the radio (and probably a more reasonable solution for turn signal sounds...) If I were to do it again on my '06 I would have used the Maestro SW.

Honestly, depending on how the ASWC-1 replacement works out, I may take it all apart again and buy the Maestro SW anyway. I'm not impressed with the Axxess products. Their connectors are not that great, and the ASWC-1 has caused me problems.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello,

I was under the impression that the resistor ladder was read by the BCM or something similar, since the radio has GMLAN going to it already. I looked in my Solstice factory shop manual, and sure enough, the resistor ladder goes directly to the radio. The factory radio puts out a 10 volt reference on pin C1-14 and reads the resistor network on pin C2-11. Checking the ASWC-1 wiring diagram, it can be connected to CAN but that wire is not listed as being used on the Solstice for its standalone harness. The harness that came with the GMOS-LAN-03 module was pre-wired for the ASWC-1, and I right now I don't remember if the GMLAN wire is connected to the ASWC-1 in that harness or not.

That makes the symptoms a bit more confusing since now I'm not sure what was interfering with the cluster. The cluster has a low-speed GMLAN connection, as does the radio, but I'll need to dig into it a bit more to see how and if the ASWC-1 is electrically tied in.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
My aswc-1 also failed. it wouldn't maintain volume control. Replaced it with a new aswc-1 and everything OK now. Only problem I had was not following the aswc-1 programming instructions EXACTLY. I found that I had to program all eighteen buttons the aswc supports even though I only have five controls on the steering wheel. Once I did that, everything was OK.

Bill.

·
Registered
352 Posts
so If I read this right on my base solstice(2006) no onstar, I have the aswc1, but I will also need something else to get chimes&turn signals??? I dont have a clue when Ill get around to the install, but i sure wood like to have it all hear when I do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts