Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good idea for you!!!

I think it would be great if all dealers were to have 1 solstice for display and test driving only!! that way you could always have one to show customers when you are out of stock. Also that way you could limit the miles on the cars you have in your inventory and just sell the demo solstice at the end of the year as a used car.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
enderokc said:

I think it would be great if all dealers were to have 1 solstice for display and test driving only!! that way you could always have one to show customers when you are out of stock. Also that way you could limit the miles on the cars you have in your inventory and just sell the demo solstice at the end of the year as a used car.
There is rules against selling demo cars.. isn't there?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know, I just thought it would be a good idea since that would mean anytime you walked into a dealer you would be able to see the car. not just pictures of it since they are out of stock. its harder to sell a car on pictures alone!!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
enderokc said:
I dont know, I just thought it would be a good idea since that would mean anytime you walked into a dealer you would be able to see the car. not just pictures of it since they are out of stock. its harder to sell a car on pictures alone!!
That's how I bought mine :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your not the average customer though :) most people wont buy a car just by looking at pictures. I know I wont. I love the solstice but I want to drive it first and see if it lives up to all the hype :) I hope it does!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
enderokc said:

In theory that sounds good but wouldn't work. Customers would get pissed when they couldn't buy the demo now.
Most dealers pay the bank floor plan every month. If you left a car in your inventory for and entire model year it would cost you money. Dealer ideally want to turn the old units every 60 days or so. The quicker they turn the less they have to pay the bank.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
couldn't the dealer just buy the car and sell it later?? of course they will take a loss on it but I think they would get more orders for new ones that way.

·
Registered
82 Posts
enderokc said:
couldn't the dealer just buy the car and sell it later?? of course they will take a loss on it but I think they would get more orders for new ones that way.
They could, they would still have to pay the floor plan. New or used unless they have a "TON" of money they must pay.
I don't know one dealer who would take a lose for this purpose, someone may be doing as we speak.??
It's not a bad idea having one to show, if you could keep one, dealers would be able to sell off of it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason I brought it up is that Scion is doing that same thing now. When I got my TC it was the first one in OKC. The salesman said that normaly they wouldnt sell me the car since it was their only one on the lot but since their demo car (or track car as they call them) wasnt in yet, they could sell me it. but they are not supposed to be out of stock ever with either of the 3 scion models. they have to have at least on of each car on the lot to show people. That is part of the Scion buying experience. and I must say that buying my TC was the EASIEST car I have ever bought.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That's not a bad deal with the TC. I'm glad it was a good experience for you.

They probably came up with that when they launched the new division.
I bet that the dealers get a special incentive from the factory to have those cars.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think they do because if the dealers were to sell their "track"(demo) car they get a fine or something. its not good when a dealer sells their track car with no other cars on the lot :)

IMO I think scion has the best policy for selling cars. I really havent seen any problems with scion dealers!!!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
SlipSlider said:
There is rules against selling demo cars.. isn't there?
Usually 3000 miles and a car becomes "used". Bot my daughter's Vibe as a return from Driver's Ed. Extra discount and still was "new". Bot my '90 Bonne as a program car at 2600 miles and sizable discount. Wait till the summer and the golf specials. Usually more than just Buicks are supplied for the big regional charity pro-ams for the pros to drive while in town.

·
Registered
338 Posts
achieftain said:
Usually 3000 miles and a car becomes "used". Bot my daughter's Vibe as a return from Driver's Ed. Extra discount and still was "new". Bot my '90 Bonne as a program car at 2600 miles and sizable discount. Wait till the summer and the golf specials. Usually more than just Buicks are supplied for the big regional charity pro-ams for the pros to drive while in town.
I think it's state to state. We sold an Envoy XL that the previous GM's wife put 5980 miles on it, and he put 5800 on a 1500 Crew SLT. Ridiculous....the current GM only drives the used stuff, 'cept once a week a drives a new one to show off a unit to the other sales staff at the weekly meeting.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I called my dealer and he said he'd have them Mid-Summer (around July) to test drive and buy. Gives me more time to get at least $5000 down to bring my lease to under $100 a month :)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Adrenaline said:
I called my dealer and he said he'd have them Mid-Summer (around July) to test drive and buy. Gives me more time to get at least $5000 down to bring my lease to under $100 a month :)
I know my dealer said there's more then likely not going to be any available for test drives at their lot. The anticipate it handle the Solstice like the GTO. No test drives unless you go through the paperwork and credit check. They also anticipate it to be like the 2005 GTO's they have on lot. They're not going to be there long enough to have them available for test drives.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
brentil said:
No test drives unless you go through the paperwork and credit check.

I think that is totally dumb!!! its not like the car is 35k+ its a very inexpencive car, they shouldnt do that IMO!! what a pain

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
enderokc said:
I think that is totally dumb!!! its not like the car is 35k+ its a very inexpencive car, they shouldnt do that IMO!! what a pain
I'm not going to buy a Solstice some punk kid (or punk adult for that matter) came and ripped the crap out of just because he wanted to during a test drive and didn't have the intentions of buying one. I want an unmolested car to drive home. Not some test mule anyone can drop the clutch at 6600 RPM in..

·
Registered
338 Posts
brentil said:
I'm not going to buy a Solstice some punk kid (or punk adult for that matter) came and ripped the crap out of just because he wanted to during a test drive and didn't have the intentions of buying one. I want an unmolested car to drive home. Not some test mule anyone can drop the clutch at 6600 RPM in..
Again, this all from my perspective at a small, rural store, for those of you not familiar w/ me. We have 3 GTO's on our lot. One used black on red 04 auto, one red on red 05 auto, and one black on red 05 manual. The only people who have even test drove them have been serious buyers. In fact, only the 05 auto has been demo'd.

A salesperson w/ good common sense is not going to let an 18 or 19 yr. old test one of the most powerful, fastest mass-produced cars in the country. I did have one try, said his Dad was going to buy it for him. I said great, is it for a special occasion, b-day, graduation, etc? He said ya, graduation. I said, OK, then your Dad must realize this is pretty big for you, and it's a special moment for BOTH of you. Why don't you bring him back and you guys can share YOUR first drive in it together, and maybe even take it to lunch. He did come back, they ended up buying something else b/c Dad was afraid of the HP, insurance, and too many other things.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
brentil said:
True, but a good salesman should know the diffrence when showing the car as to weather or not he should let that person test drive the car.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Well all I can say is you guys don't live in Orlando then.
I've heard to many horror stories of people bringing cars home to find out later it has a fried clutch, or other internal damage thanks to too many parents willing to let their kids test drive whatever they want however they want.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts