Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 168 Posts

·
5,641 Posts
Jebsmith said:
But, I don't want to pay for this flush and then pay for the check valve procedure a month later.
If that is the case, do not have the check valves installed when they become available.

·
Registered
630 Posts
There is a guy on the Sky forum that bought a brand new Sky recently, and 6 miles from the dealership the overheat light came on. He checked the temp, and it was very very high. Stopped, turned car off. Let it cool. Got it back to dealer, and nobody can get it to recur. Sounds like this air problem. So, either it had this problem from the factory, OR during make ready, someone in the shop opened the overflow can and let air in the system.

I just had one of my cars inspected, and the people checked all my fluids. If I had been there with my Sky, they would have opened the overflow can to check my coolant level, and I would have been screwed. My point is, this is going to be a problem going forward, even for people who do not have it today. At SOME point, someone is going to pop that overflow reservoir lid and let air in your system.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Jeb,

My issue was taken care of by the dealer under warranty. I gave them a copy of the TSB when I went in to install the Stage II and the problem is now gone. If they give you any flack about doing it under warranty, just let them know that the alternative of potentially serious engine damage from overheating would be under warranty...their choice.

·
5,641 Posts
Jebsmith said:
That is so true. Sounds like the vac n fill is more like a Temp fix and the check valves are permanent.
Both procedures will take car of a car that has had the cooling system improperly opened.

It is just expected that the installation of check valves, which will most likely recommend the vac n fill during the procedure, will reduce/eliminate the chance that another inproper opening will allow air into the system.

·
5,641 Posts
Jpdub said:
I gave them a copy of the TSB when I went in to install the Stage II and the problem is now gone.

If they give you any flack about doing it under warranty, just let them know that the alternative of potentially serious engine damage from overheating would be under warranty...their choice.
There has been no TSB issued to cover this topic. As posted, one is expected near the end of December.

Also, the warranty excludes damaged cause by "Improper Maintenace". So the threat may not work.

·
5,641 Posts
Jpdub said:
...when I went in to install the Stage II......
One site member reported that when they installed the kit themselves, upon removing the original sensor, a rush of coolant came out of the previously removed lower hose.

So it is possible that the kit install could be a source or air introduction into the engine.

So it should be watched until it can be confirmed either way.

·
5,641 Posts
Kappster said:
Does this apply to the 2.4 engine also?
No, just the 2.0L has the issues discussed here.

The Vac-n-Fill procedure can be used for coolant refill process on the base 2.4L engine after a coolant drain.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There has been no TSB issued to cover this topic. As posted, one is expected near the end of December.

Also, the warranty excludes damaged cause by "Improper Maintenace". So the threat may not work.
What I provided the dealer is the "GM bulletin" as you provided in post #7. My appologies if this was not technically a TSB.

Seeing as how I had been to the dealer three previous times for the same issue which was not resolved until I provided your "GM bulletin" to them, they would have a hard time making the case for "Improper maintenance".... That is unless they were speaking of themselves. Sad when we have to provide the documentation to our dealers so they can perform proper maintenance and or repairs.

·
Registered
743 Posts
What I provided the dealer is the "GM bulletin" as you provided in post #7. My appologies if this was not technically a TSB.

Seeing as how I had been to the dealer three previous times for the same issue which was not resolved until I provided your "GM bulletin" to them, they would have a hard time making the case for "Improper maintenance".... That is unless they were speaking of themselves. Sad when we have to provide the documentation to our dealers so they can perform proper maintenance and or repairs.
Agreed. But since that sadly is the case, it makes the forum a fantastic resource. Glad you got the right information and they did the fix! Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
853 Posts
So this is probably inacurate but I'll go ahead and say it. *I did the squeeze test and I did hear the sloshing. *A lot. *BUT, the more I squeezed it the less I heard it. *Probably squeezed it 30 times and then there was no air sloshing noise. *I then filled the reservior to about 4 mm above the line. *During the squeezing I was on a pretty steap incline with the front at the top of the hill.

Ever since that day, I have had instant heat, and no over heating. *Before I did this, every day I would hit at least 230 and have no heat untill the temp started dropping. *So I would suggest to everyone who is overheating just try this free "fix". *if it works, awesome, if not, you have a dirty right hand and are out no money.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Any update on the new fix? Not available to dealers yet?

·
5,641 Posts
wspohn said:
Any update on the new fix? Not available to dealers yet?

Racing towards the end of December, but no information has been released as of yet (12/15).

Still not showing any parts stock or parts pricing informaiton for the expected to be used parts.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
OK, thanks.

I have an overheating condition that is very inconsistent and I am not too worried about it as I keep the DIC set on coolant temp and keep an eye on it, but I'd rather take it to the dealer when the real fix is available than twice, once to get it temporarily fixed with a coolant flush and then again when they have the valves you spoke of.

Interesting flaw in the design - my system is topped up and has never even had the cap off, with good level, yet still shows the problem. Hope the valves fix it once and for all!

·
5,641 Posts
wspohn said:
I have an overheating condition.....
The procedure being talked about here is not expected to take care of an overheating condition, it is for "a gurgle/knock noise from the heater core area, a low/no heat condition and or the coolant temperature gauge may read high intermittently".

You should have an overheating condition checked by your dealership.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
So you figure that this must be improper filling from the factory?
Coolant hasn't been touched since the car was picked up from the dealer and they wouldn't have had any reason to touch it as it was sitting in their showroom as a display and was never used on the road.

·
Registered
281 Posts
So you figure that this must be improper filling from the factory?
Coolant hasn't been touched since the car was picked up from the dealer and they wouldn't have had any reason to touch it as it was sitting in their showroom as a display and was never used on the road.
You are assuming that the dealer never opened it. Someone could have thought it looked a little low and opened the tank. Not saying it happened, but assumptions like this get a lot of people in trouble.

A few people have posted about squeezing the radiator hoses and being able to purge most of the air out of the system, perhaps you might give that shot.

The best bet would be like SD said, take it to the dealer.

21 - 40 of 168 Posts