Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

101 - 120 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Well, the valves seem to have solved the problem for me. No overheating.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well, I would like to get the valves put in the car from the TSB I posted.
But...the dealership says they need to see this happen in person to warrant working on the car. See as how this has only happened to me after the car has been sitting for some amount of time (usually all day or all night -- i.e. cold engine), it would be an all day even for me to drive 45 minutes to the dealership, let the car cool, and then try to coerce the vehicle into "acting up". I called back, and hopefully they'll accept a Blackberry video of the next time it occurs...which I will try to induce before next month when my 3y/36k runs out!

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Hot

I took the TSB into the Dealership, told them this was happening to my car. They ordered the parts, and installed them when they showed up.

Good Service and Good Folks. Payton GM in Heber Springs, AR. :thumbs:

Steve
:cool:

·
Registered
267 Posts
I took the TSB into the Dealership, told them this was happening to my car. They ordered the parts, and installed them when they showed up.

Good Service and Good Folks. Payton GM in Heber Springs, AR. :thumbs:

Steve
:cool:
I wish this were the case with me.
They are wanting to keep the car and reproduce the event. I told them it has happened about 5 or 6 times in a year span. Good luck getting that to happen...

If they think I'm going to let them sit and cold start my car 20 times over the course of 3 days they're crazy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Fixed my bubble.

My car came with the bubble. Got hot all the time. Here is the fix.

Try this one. The main hose to the radiator is on driver's side low. About a 2 1/2 inch hose. With the car cold grab this and SQUEEZE repeatedly. In my case this cleared the bubble and I have had now more problems.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My car started having the overheating/cool heater air problem the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. That night I found all the info I needed HERE in the forum and so I stopped into the dealership Friday after work to tell them of the problem and that they needed to order me the check valves. The tech said that they'd have to take a look at it so I was told to bring it back in this Monday.
I took "Shadow" in first thing Monday morning and found out that afternoon that they needed to order some parts, which I found out today (Tuesday) are the valves. The tech said that they have no idea when the parts will be in, so now I'm car-less for another day at least.
I know that it would be foolish on the dealership's part to take a customers word on a 'fix' for their car, but it would have saved at least two days of waiting for the darn parts if they would have ordered them last Friday.
I was told today that they might be able to get me a loaner until the parts get in and are installed. He (tech) doesn't think I should be driving Shadow it in the meantime.

Has anyone else had to wait a LONG time for the valves to get to the dealership?

BTW: Just passed 18,000 miles.

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
My valves took a week to get up to the Great White North.

You are lucky - you could have taken the car in a half dozen times and if they didn't observe the overheating, they wouldn't have done the valves.

Surprised they didn't drain, fill and flush a time or two first, but maybe that's because the valves no longer cost hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wspohn, where did you pick those up? GMPARTSGIANT says they are out and the part is on national backorder.

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
My dealer got them to do the warranty work earlier this year.

·
Registered
329 Posts
don't wanna deal with the hassle of the dealer, and can get the valves elsewhere for $10/each. any installation instructions i can reference, or is it very straightforward? plug-n-play, splicing/soldering, coolant flush required after, what's the low down?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
don't wanna deal with the hassle of the dealer, and can get the valves elsewhere for $10/each. any installation instructions i can reference, or is it very straightforward? plug-n-play, splicing/soldering, coolant flush required after, what's the low down?
Can you share your source for the check valves?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well, I'm on day 17 waiting for the valves to get to the dealer, and they still don't know when they'll arrive.
They gave me a new 2011 Acadia (got it with 170 miles on it) to drive in the meantime. It's just a little bigger than Shadow ;) but I'll manage ok. Actually, I'm ok if they don't get the part til April 1st. Just wish the gas milage on the Acadia was better (I'm getting about 12-14 mpg)
I'll let you'all know if and when they get my car running again.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well, after 53 days at the dealership, my Shadow is back in my own garage. The dealer called me Monday and said that GM had finally 'pushed through' the parts (check valves) and they were on their way to the dealer. They got them this morning and two hours later I was back in Shadow's driver's seat.

I put on 970 miles on the loaner during the time my car was at the dealership; which is 970 miles LESS on Shadow's odometer; so that is good. However, before I got home the car overheated again and I got mild air coming out of the heater vents. This happened while I was waiting at a red light for 12 minutes (rush hour and icy roads). Once I got going again the temp came back down and was fine the rest of my trip. I'll be watching it carefully the next few days to see if today's event was a fluke or still a problem.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
However, before I got home the car overheated again and I got mild air coming out of the heater vents. This happened while I was waiting at a red light for 12 minutes (rush hour and icy roads). Once I got going again the temp came back down and was fine the rest of my trip. I'll be watching it carefully the next few days to see if today's event was a fluke or still a problem.
Doesn't look like they bled it properly, btw what was gm's bill for the loaner?

101 - 120 of 168 Posts