Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
9,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been asked to pass along the following information:

Beware that there have been some used Solstices that have been in past floods. There are those who have purchased these cars and 'fixed them up' and are now selling them at very attractive pricing.

I am being told that many of these cars are showing up with a variety of electrical problems.

Please .... PLEASE make sure you do a car history report BEFORE you purchase any used Solstice!!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
:agree::agree::agree::agree:

I was still operating my SnapOn franchise during Katrina and was servicing two salvage yards. Within WEEKS of the hurricane EVERYBODY in the salvage industry was aware of the huge spike in flood cars. So was the auction industry. The salvage yards in the KC area were refusing to accept just about ANY vehicles from the impact areas as they were being hauled away from there in an attempt to dispose of them. Insurance companies were NOT worried about the disposition of these "totalled" cars. Flood car titles will usually be annotated.

When I was operating in S.E. Virginia there was massive flooding in eastern Virginia and some small towns like Franklin were under as much as 30-40 feet of water !!!!!!! About 2 months after the floods subsided EVERY car dealership and body shop I serviced had cars in their bays with interiors pulled out of them and carpets hanging everywhere. Gee, what a surprise.

RESEARCH THE CARS YOU ARE LOOKING AT !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
You have to do your homework. Personally, if I cannot see a clean title and talk to the previous owner the deal is off... Always have a good mechanic look at the car as well.

Common sense goes a long way here!!

Good post MomsSol!!! With the flooding going on everywhere you have to be very careful when you are purchasing anything used :(

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
My brother in law once bought a brand new Ford truck that had been in a Johnstown flood in the 70s. It was marked way down but was sold as-is, no warranty.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Wholly agreed. :yesnod::yesnod: Living in Houston as I tend to do, when I was looking around for my used Sol, I bought from Phoenix, def very few floods there :lol: Also, for many people I know who have had flooded vehicles or otherwise wrecked, it has never shown up on a carfax history report. Of course it all depends on where you take it to get it fixed. My brother took my mother's 30th Anniversary Trans Am into a gas pump on prom night going about 110 (in a 35), it never came up on Carfax.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Car Fax

Wholly agreed. :yesnod::yesnod: Living in Houston as I tend to do, when I was looking around for my used Sol, I bought from Phoenix, def very few floods there :lol: Also, for many people I know who have had flooded vehicles or otherwise wrecked, it has never shown up on a carfax history report. Of course it all depends on where you take it to get it fixed. My brother took my mother's 30th Anniversary Trans Am into a gas pump on prom night going about 110 (in a 35), it never came up on Carfax.
Is it a possibility a car could have been flooded and that not show up on a Carfax report? I've been under the impression the only isssues showing up on a CarFax report are the issues reported and repaired.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Is it a possibility a car could have been flooded and that not show up on a Carfax report? I've been under the impression the only isssues showing up on a CarFax report are the issues reported and repaired.
What happens to the new cars that are on the lots down there after flooding?
YOU NEED TO HAVE A FULL INDEPENDANT INSPECTION DONE FOR FLOOD AND REPAIR BY SOMEONE YOU TRUST!

Got that?

Yes, this does not always show up on carfax or on titles.

I know, the river runs through us.
I have chest high surge marks under this house.
I have lost two vehicles, both double flooded and another was towed out before flooding while another had to be sacrificed.

That is all
:leaving:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a used 2006 Solstice from a private owner. He's owned it for 2 years and I've done a carfax to confirm this. I'm 63 and haven't ownered a sports car since 1970 (Triumph TR 250). It has 110,000 miles but seems to be in good condition. My question is is this car fairly reliable ? I'm too old to do my own work on the car so I I'm not looking for something that needs to be babied. Thoughts ?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I have been asked to pass along the following information:

Beware that there have been some used Solstices that have been in past floods. There are those who have purchased these cars and 'fixed them up' and are now selling them at very attractive pricing.

I am being told that many of these cars are showing up with a variety of electrical problems.

Please .... PLEASE make sure you do a car history report BEFORE you purchase any used Solstice!!
You make exceptionally good points. If the seller discloses that the car is a flood rebuild, then the buyer knows the risks. If undisclosed, then in many states "buyer beware" doctrine may apply.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Carfax reports show only "reported" issues. There are ways to avoid reporting those issues. I currently own a car that I purchased used and had a clean Carfax, but had obviously been in an accident (not my Sky).

·
Administrator
9,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Amen to that. The rust is unbelievable on coastal and northern cars.
LOL..my car is a "northern" car and probaly as clean as any "southern" car!

It's driven all winter but I do take good care of it, washing it during the winter and making sure to clean the underside as well.

·
Registered
453 Posts

It's driven all winter but I do take good care of it, washing it during the winter and making sure to clean the underside as well.
You are unlike most people then. Many people, including myself, don't wash their cars every other week. I admire that you take pride in your cars. But, the people who live up north or near the coast that don't take care of their cars end up driving rusty garbage. If I lived up north, I would too. I might wash my cars once every other month, maybe. I know that's not really good for them, but, I don't have to worry about rust just because of where I live.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I missed this one. My 2 cents, being an 06, unless he's selling it dirt cheap like under 5k, I wouldn't do it unless he has all the service records and has replaced the wear parts. my 06 only has 50k and it's had a hard life. think it will need a clutch soon and the front end seems loose and the rearend clunks. interior has held up great except for the cop holder and the turn signal. convertible top needs some love too. my 08 on the other hand is awesome and a night and day difference. Id drive the 06, then find a newer one with about 40k miles and see how it drives before you make your decision. drive a gxp too.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Carfax reports show only "reported" issues. There are ways to avoid reporting those issues. I currently own a car that I purchased used and had a clean Carfax, but had obviously been in an accident (not my Sky).

DON'T trust Carfax! They rely on unsubstantiated reports from anonymous sources.

At trade-in I was astonished to find that Carfax listed my car as "totaled, owner repaired" when, in fact, it had never been in an accident.

It took weeks and threat of litigation to get them to amend the report.

Their business model relies on a false trust that their information is correct. If it isn't they have no way of knowing or verifying.

·
Registered
612 Posts

Mine too, I live about a mile from the pacific ocean, and it's washed every week weather permitting (supposed to rain this weekend here).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts