976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mr. John Larson
General Manager, Buick-Pontiac-GMC

Mr. Mark-Hans Richer
Pontiac Marketing Director

Mr. Christopher Ayotte
Solstice Brand Team

We feel the time has come to make bold, affirmative, and unprecedented steps to support the Solstice launch. These steps are now needed to preserve Pontiac and GM's intended goals of the Early Order Program, and the Solstoice program in general.

1) All First 1000 buyers that have not taken delivery should be contacted, preferably by phone but email at least, with the exact location and status of their car. Not a general statement but infomation on their actual car. Making unreliable guess-timates of delivery is not needed, just factual status infomation.

2) All dealerships with First 1000 orders should be visited in person by Pontiac or GM of the highest possible and practical level, Regional General Manger, Regional Sales Manager, Regional Marketing Manger-Pontiac, or if needed Zone Manager. A discussion with Dealer Principal and Sales Mangement should take place over the dealerships pricing plans for the Solstice.

3) All dealerships should be contacted in the most efficent manner by their Area Sales Manager. A review of Solstice allocation amounts, order banks, and review of accessing the VOMS system to aquire infomation should be done. A review of signed buyers agreements should be completed and where missing, or where no price is indicated, they should be completed as soon as possible for review.

4) Dealerships should be required to keep a list of allocation amounts, current orders preferenced, order bank orders and preference priority listing. This infomation should be available and provided to every Solstice buyer and prospect.

5) GM must review the policy of not publishing target production weeks for launch vehicles. This infomation is being given out over the phone by customer call centers, why not make it availalbe to the dealerships?

6) Buyers with sold orders in VOMS should be sent letters of price protection.

We have and will continue to support this car and GM and Pontiacs attempts to delivery the best product possible. We just deserve infomation never required by GM's ordering processes before because of the unique situation presented by the Solstice demand.

Members of SolsticeForum.com

This idea was given to me by a friend on the forum, and it is a great letter to pontiac. I would prefer to extend it to all GM products, as well as the pricing structure, but this seems like a good place to start.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
:agree: 100%

I'm starting to wonder if Pontiac/GM 'gets it' - the Solstice just doesn't fit the mold of what GM has done in the past. This situation where cars are left to languish for weeks and weeks in shipment just doesn't make any sense :willy:

Why would you let years of hard work by hundreds (thousands?) of people, multi-millions of dollars, and one fabulous vehilcle go down the drain over a SIMPLE logistics problem?

Simple - yes! Will it cost a few dollars - yes. But if GM has to go above and beyond and start shipping these three at a time (on small car haulers), I think it will pay in the long run (and they OWE it to the customers that took a leap of faith by buying this car - most without ever seeing one in person, let alone ever driving one).

A bad first impression is a difficult thing to overcome. :(

Think outside the box (you did it when the Solstice was concieved :thumbs: ) - how much effort could it take to set up an owner pick-up program at the plant? The money saved (in shipping) could be used to pay for the prep fees or offset the increased shipping cost for using less rail and smaller shipments.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Interesting idea. A direct letter to the powers that be at GM. Maybe I'll sticky this for now so it hangs at the top for maximum exposure.

[Thread closed per request]

·
Registered
729 Posts
good stuff...........

Great letter!!

Now, it just needs to have the grammar and spelling corrections made to it, and then send it on its way!!

- bspate -

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
bspate said:
Great letter!!

Now, it just needs to have the grammar and spelling corrections made to it, and then send it on its way!!

- bspate -
Forthe sake of my grandmother, the English teacher, I have to mention that I didn't write the letter, or proof read it. Just cut and paste really.

And that is the problem... Send it to who? what is the address? I have the letter, and the stamps.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Please disuss as everyone sees fit. I was considering splitting the discussion off from the original thread, but thought it would be best to keep it together. Hopefully GM will consider following some of these suggestions, and providing Solstice consumers with more information about their orders.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was thinking that I would check the other dealerships in the area and find the ones that are only charging MSRP as Pontiac requested. Then notify Pontiac HQ of which ones are doing what they want and which ones (HIATT PONTIAC) that are not. Pontiac can then offer them the chance to change their tune, and if the don't, then pull their allocations and move them to the closest dealers that are selling at MSRP and notify the person that ordered the car that they won't have to pay $5,000.00 over MSRP. The offending dealership would then not be allowed a solstice for two years.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
cadillacricket :thumbs:
GM: This can be summed up in one word:

COMMUNICATION

·
Registered
86 Posts
FYI folks, some of you may know that I have a direct pipeline into VERY upper level GM management. After I read the complete thread which by the way is very good end-user feedback, I copied it and passed it on to the general manager of Pontiac.

Marvin

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Thank you Marvin, and everyone else in the forum for their ideas.
The name of the game for Corporate America and for that matter any businness is to keep their customers first and foremost SATISFIED and to that end keep information fresh and open

·
Registered
86 Posts
You're very welcome. You would all be surprised as to how little information and feedback makes it up to the top people in charge. So much is filtered at the "mid-level" management stage that guy's like John Larson who I personally know is very much interested in knowing what's going on, never get the true story from the streets.

He has these thoughts now.....

Marvin

·
Registered
55 Posts
Usually Quiet - But Its Time

I applaud everyon'e participation is this effort to intelligently identify and communicate the key issues reflected in the everyday posts by the forum.

I have typically been a non-poster on the majority of topics; however, its time that I lend my support to this very deserving cause.

My wife and I have been patient buyers throughout this order and wait process. We have seen some input from GMHQ and greatly appreciate what has been provided to date. It is important to our family to properly manage our finances and the purchase of a new vehicle has been responsibly worked into our game plan. As time goes by, factors change: Interest Rates have been climbing, other new vehicle models are becoming available, and vehicles that were beyond our pricing structure are now becoming available in the "slightly used" market.

I must admit that we have begun to look at alternative vehicles - mainly due to the "black hole" effect on the GMHQ side.

A big thanks to all of you (including those in possession of their cars but who are championing the current underdogs) who strive to better "our" company (GM) as we all have a financial stake in its success.

B/R

SB

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Marvin T. said:
FYI folks, some of you may know that I have a direct pipeline into VERY upper level GM management. After I read the complete thread which by the way is very good end-user feedback, I copied it and passed it on to the general manager of Pontiac.

Marvin
Thanks Marvin. I knew we kept bumping your other thread up for a reason. ;)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Thanks Marvin, it's about time the upper level people found out about what exactly is going on with the whole ordering/waiting process.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I, too, have been waiting and waiting. And I truly love this car and will hopefully have it soon. I appreciate that Pontiac has sent information along with gifts. That has been very kind to do - didn't get that with my last purchase and that one cost over $43,000! It has gotten very frustrating though, that we can't find information out about our car. I know mine was made on September 1st and is supposedly on the way. I would love to believe that it will be here next week, as the dealer has told me, but there are just too many people out there waiting for theirs to arrive -- and nobody can even tell them where their car is. I totally agree with that letter and applaude the writer as well as Cadillaccricket and Marvin T! I'm not going to bad mouth GM or Pontiac, because I LOVE my GM Tahoe! And I am sure I will also love the Solstice. I got frustrated last week when reading about deliveries outside the first 1000. Not that I'm "special" for getting one, I feel very LUCKY to be getting one #815. But half of the fun was the information that we would get them "first". Well, we're not! I'm still excited, and my money is the same as everyone who is getting one and had I not gotten one of the first 1000, I would be waiting - not sure if longer or not! Just wanted to say thanks for writing that letter and getting it to someone who is sure to care about their customer base, and keeping that customer base. I, too, like so many have never owned a Pontiac so this my first experience with them as well as ordering a car -- sight unseen no less! Oh, did I mention our rain started yesterday....no problem, it will stop next June!

·
Registered
5 Posts
that letter is over the top and will do more to alienate the higher ups than help your case.

Demanding this, demanding that, you'd think you were paying $$$$$$$ for a Ferrari. And if you were and tried this, they'd politely laugh you away.

You guys need to get to grips with yourselves, this honestly just embarrasing. The only reason I'm posting this up is your bit about 'on behalf of forum members'....

You guys ever watch Triumph and the Star Wars lineup?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good letter - Would like Pontiac to communicate a bit more.

Kudos for the great letter! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

------

Let me start with saying that I ordered my Solstice on 4/16/2005. In the meantime, I have not only seen a Solstice, I had the pleasure of test-driving one. Fun car! To be perfectly honest, I’m starting to run out of patience after waiting 5.5 months to still be sitting at event code 2030 (Thanks Cadillacricket!) and no end in sight.

While both my dealer and Pontiac customer service have been very courteous, helpful, and polite, to date neither can tell me when I will be able to drive away in my Solstice. I seem have a very unreasonable expectation that after I commit to spending $25,000 on a car that somebody ought to be able to tell me when it will be available.

What I am looking for is COMMUNICATIONS from Pontiac. Set my expectations. If it is going to be 2006, I’ll be grumpy but at least I’ll know and can plan accordingly. If the date changes, just tell me the new date and WHY the date changed. I’m much more likely to be understanding of changes if I’m kept in the loop. This would be very inexpensive to implement with a web site and periodic emailings. It would pay for itself very quickly in customer (and future customer) satisfaction.

I have seen many posts detailing the somewhat arcane process “under the covers” of how dealers get cars. While it is interesting to read about, the truth is that I should neither know (nor care) about Pontiac’s supply chain – this is not the customer’s (my) problem. I just want to know when I can drive my Solstice.

In summary, I look forward to the day I receive my Solstice. Of course, I'd kinda like to know the day in advance.

·
2,574 Posts
Marvin T. said:

Marvin
Thanks Marvin, That's got to help. I also think that as a point of reference it wouldn't hurt for them to understand (I do realize that they lurk here) exactly how extensive and influential (you're an excellent example) a group we are and that we intend to grow and be in the forefront of much Solstice related activity going forward. They should be happy to know that this group will be as supportive as is possible depending upon how we are received by them and intend to become more organized well beyond the life of the EOP Program and G.M.'s relationship to the first thousand folks. It's a whole new ballgame with the emergence of the internet and we are in the "catbird's seat on this issue" -no small matter. Their response to the "letter" will be a good indicator of how seriously we are being taken currently. You get my drift, thanks again.

P.S. Can't wait to select the options for what will be my "other" Solstice (don't have the first one yet) as I am holding the winning ticket for the Nov. 23rd drawing! :lol:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts