Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When shown a link to the ford australlian site I took a look, found something interesting. On Ford's falcon model, you can get an engine that runs on LPG, or Liquefied Petroleum Gas. This translates to "10% less carbon dioxide at the exhaust pipe, up to 30% fewer smog forming emissions"

Wait a minute, so Austrialia has an alternative fuel? Appearntly they do, and frankly if Aussie can manage to get a what appear to be natural gas based cars on the road, and give them places to fill up, what is taking the US so long? Ford has the technoledgy, yet I have herd nothing of it being brough to use over here. Ford claims a 38% increase in fuel savings, over gasoline and diesel.

Granted I don't know what environment issues Aussie has, but I doubt they are more than that of the US, so why is Australia able to do something and yet the US is appearntly dumbfounded, shooting in the dark to try and get hyrdrodgen to work. Why not simply borrow the system from another country?
Ford Falcon E-gas website

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Population :

Australia 20,300,097 (Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane account for 77% of the population)

US 290,810,000

There are about 160,000 miles of paved roads in the whole of Australia compare to the 3,900,000 miles in the US.

Begining to get an idea of the scope of the problem?

Actually there were several test fleets in the US, I believe they were Ford pickup tucks. Some are/were being used by the gas companies themselves.

One major hurdle is that the lawmakers have trouble figuring out how to implement a state road tax on the fuel and not have people easily bypass it by using regular heating LPG.

http://www.ford.com/en/support/faq/environmentalVehicles.htm

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Whole bunches of city buses are already propane, or LPG empowered. So are several vehicles around here belong to pipeline gas co. (they just compress their own)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
My dad has been driving converted Propane Cadillacs since the 70's. He has done it just because it used to be cheap and your engine lasts longer. He used to have a long commute to work and back. Any car or truck can be converted to a two fuel system right now. It's not that hard. It's just a bit of a hassle to fuel up. It's not a solution to the gas crisis though. It comes pretty much from the same place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts