Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get a auto-dimming rear view mirror for my GXP? I'd like it to also still have the lights in it that my current mirror does. A built-in compass would be fine but not necessary.

·
Registered
865 Posts
There are a few places online that sell these mirrors. Which one you get would depend on the features you need. Do you have onstar? If not you can get the Gentex GENK-30 or 31. If you do then I don't know which one to get.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2006 Pontiac Solstice that needs a rear view mirror replacement. Is there one that has auto dimming and compatible with connection already in place for the reading lights?

·
Administrator
9,720 Posts
I have a 2006 Pontiac Solstice that needs a rear view mirror replacement. Is there one that has auto dimming and compatible with connection already in place for the reading lights?
I am aware of three GM models that used a compatible auto-dimming mirror, but I have only partial information about them.
With luck someone with deeper knowledge will fill in the gaps. A forum search may also yield more information.
The use of any of them requires the addition of a switched 12V connection to the mirror. A forum search will yield how-to information.

• Chevy HHR: with LED map lights, may have compass.
  • Buick:??? with incandescent map light (Amber bulbs) probably no compass.
  • Chevy Monte Carlo: incandescent map lights, may have compass.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,557 Posts
where can we just get the glass for it? my coupes looks like poop.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
1,830 Posts
where can we just get the glass for it? my coupes looks like poop.
I just did the HHR transplant on mine. Got it used on ebay. I forgot but i think it was less than $100?
Had to run the extra wire for power, but other than that it was plug and play.
Has MAP lights (but they are dimmer than OE) and a compass (a letter in the top right corner).
MOST importantly is the auto dimming feature. With all the blazing LED headlights on new cars these days its a godsend.

-You want my OE rear view mirror Mark?

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
I am aware of three GM models that used a compatible auto-dimming mirror, but I have only partial information about them.
With luck someone with deeper knowledge will fill in the gaps. A forum search may also yield more information.
The use of any of them requires the addition of a switched 12V connection to the mirror. A forum search will yield how-to information.

• Chevy HHR: with LED map lights, may have compass.
  • Buick:??? with incandescent map light (Amber bulbs) probably no compass.
  • Chevy Monte Carlo: incandescent map lights, may have compass.
The HHR for sure, Chevy Malibu was another with incandescents (I know 'cos I've had both - all bought used off eBay). Now I have a heavily modified GM mirror with rear-view screen built in.

Here's a couple of my posts that may be of interest...
Those with HHR rearview mirrors, don't put up with the dim yellow maplights! (x-post) | Pontiac Solstice Forum
Backup Camera In Rear View Mirror Install | Page 7 | Saturn Sky Forum (skyroadster.com)

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
The HHR for sure, Chevy Malibu was another with incandescents (I know 'cos I've had both - all bought used off eBay). Now I have a heavily modified GM mirror with rear-view screen built in.

Here's a couple of my posts that may be of interest...
Those with HHR rearview mirrors, don't put up with the dim yellow maplights! (x-post) | Pontiac Solstice Forum
Backup Camera In Rear View Mirror Install | Page 7 | Saturn Sky Forum (skyroadster.com)
Hah i read that post you did Soup on the MAP lights LED upgrades. I would do it except that is a tad outside my skillset...
I am kinda cool with the dim map lights as i find it "subtle" or at least thats what i have convinced myself of ;P

·
Registered
708 Posts
The nice thing would be to be able to turn on these darned map lights while driving.
In my 2006 they only turn on with a door open. The switches on the mirror just let me turn the lights on or off while any of the doors is open. Doors closed mean no map light. I find it kind of stupid -- why any switches at all if you can't turn them on while driving? Would be good for the passenger at least to find something inside at night.

·
Administrator
9,720 Posts
The nice thing would be to be able to turn on these darned map lights while driving.
In my 2006 they only turn on with a door open. The switches on the mirror just let me turn the lights on or off while any of the doors is open. Doors closed mean no map light. I find it kind of stupid -- why any switches at all if you can't turn them on while driving? Would be good for the passenger at least to find something inside at night.
I am going to have to go out and check now, but I believe that mine can be turned on with the switches at any time.
I agree that it would be stupid to only have them work with the doors open.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
In my 2006 they only turn on with a door open. The switches on the mirror just let me turn the lights on or off while any of the doors is open.
Your lights should turn on whenever you press the buttons. Doors open or closed, ignition on or not - certainly in later model years.

I wondered if it was a model year thing, so looked at my '06 wiring diagram and it looks very strange. It shows a 3-position switch with ON-DOOR-OFF positions. Does your mirror have this, of the simple in/out button like mine does (which is ON-DOOR)?

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,720 Posts
Your lights should turn on whenever you press the buttons. Doors open or closed, ignition on or not - certainly in later model years.

I wondered if it was a model year thing, so looked at my '06 wiring diagram and it looks very strange. It shows a 3-position switch with ON-DOOR-OFF positions. Does your mirror have this, of the simple in/out button like mine does (which is ON-DOOR)?
That diagram is strange in several ways. The OFF and DOOR positions (or the wiring) appear to me to be switched, and the w/o OnStar option seems to show that the driver side light cannot be turned off. Or am I looking at it incorrectly?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I haven't had a non-auto dip mirror for along time. IIRC there is a tab that you can dip the mirror downwards reducing glare. I don't drive my Solstice much at night so this is not a constant issue. Seems like alot of work.

·
Registered
708 Posts

I have just simple on-off switches.
I'll read my manual later on in case I'm missing something.

EDIT: My car doesn't have OnStar. Do you notice that the wiring diagram shows nothing attached to the "door" position of the switches?

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
That diagram is strange in several ways. The OFF and DOOR positions (or the wiring) appear to me to be switched, and the w/o OnStar option seems to show that the driver side light cannot be turned off. Or am I looking at it incorrectly?
Not sure what you mean by "switched". I think the w/o OnStar driver side is correct, but the passenger side is a typo that is missing that link (between door and off). If so, they'd work like ours.

EDIT: My car doesn't have OnStar. Do you notice that the wiring diagram shows nothing attached to the "door" position of the switches?
Only the w/o OnStar passenger side, I think that's a typo (as noted above).

In any case, that diagram is certainly strange. I do not have that particular diagram for my 2008. Maybe @JohnWR you could post it? I'd like to see what that says :)

·
Administrator
9,720 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "switched". I think the w/o OnStar driver side is correct, but the passenger side is a typo that is missing that link (between door and off). If so, they'd work like ours.

Only the w/o OnStar passenger side, I think that's a typo (as noted above).

In any case, that diagram is certainly strange. I do not have that particular diagram for my 2008. Maybe @JohnWR you could post it? I'd like to see what that says :)
I was pretty unclear in my previous post. What I should have said:
  • The w/o OnStar driver side has the same function for the Door and Off positions, which doesn't make sense
  • The w/o OnStar passenger side has no connection at the DOOR position, and a connection to both the ground and the PWM at both the ON and OFF positions
    • The OFF position should have no connection
    • The DOOR position should be connected to the grey PWM wire
    • The OFF and DOOR positions should not be connected
  • The w/ OnStar diagram appears to be correct
  • It seems to me that the only difference between w/ and w/o should be the connector pin-out
I have the 2006 Solstice service manual (and the 2007 Sky manual, and the 2008 combined manual) so i will check those diagrams this evening.

Reactions: agent008

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
I never understood why people use this feature, because it greatly reduces what one can see in the rear view mirror.
I can explain why I use it RedOne07. I find the auto dimming doesn’t reduce view ability nearly as much as the manual dim lever the the OEM one comes with.
Additionally the crappy OEM shifts every time I flip the lever for dimming such that I have to reposition it every time I want to dim.

since I live in a big city, we have ahigh percentage of new SUV vehicles, most of which are now LED and bright as hell headlights. Combine that with the Solstice’s low stance and I get nailed with multiple streams of painfully bright headlights. This is true in the highway or surface streets because even our surface streets are like highways. Plus I am getting older and I have noticed my night vision isn’t what it once was..

so yes, for all the reasons autodimming is an absolute must for my local driving experience in the Sol at night. It has been a real relief having it and I feel safer driving at night because I am not being constantly blinded.
I have a Jeep and it is much less of an issue because of the ride height so that’s why I mentioned the Sols height as a contributing factor.

just my local driving experience. I am sure it is absolutely relative and if I lived in a more rural setting, it wouldn’t be such a big deal.

different strokes and all that.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts