Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this little tidbit on end of life treatment for cars. Can't tell if it is a retirement home for cars or a burial ground or a gov't run chop shop.
http://www.mg-rover.com/static/doc_MGR_032598.html
Just think:
  • how much cost is added to each new vehicle to cover this
  • how this would impact overproduction by manufacturers
  • how far "big brother" is already entrenched in the UK

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
achieftain said:
Found this little tidbit on end of life treatment for cars. Can't tell if it is a retirement home for cars or a burial ground or a gov't run chop shop.
http://www.mg-rover.com/static/doc_MGR_032598.html
Just think:
  • how much cost is added to each new vehicle to cover this
  • how this would impact overproduction by manufacturers
  • how far "big brother" is already entrenched in the UK
Believe me, you don't want to know how much this costs people. Maybe I should say how much it's going to cost people. Many suppliers have been slow to take on the projects we have to complete in order to populate the databases out there with information.

What you don't know is that each supplier is supposed to log onto a website and list out the material content in just about every part they supply in a vehicle which might end up in Europe. Many suppliers are just now understanding how much this is costing them and will surely have to include these prices in their quotes to the OEM's.

Overproduction isn't such a problem in the automotive supply world really. You build production equipment based upon a sales quote given to you by the OEM. The big problems come when you bid on a program like.. say the Aztek (sorry Purty) which flops and you as a supplier never recover your investment. The other problem comes when you bid on something and are undercapacity and need to increase it quickly. Even if you have overcapacity, you build to a weekly schedule and keep a short lead time of finished goods (most OEM's like 2-7 days depending on part / origin of assembly). Very rarely have I seen over production in the many, many automotive suppliers I've been at. Nobody is willing to pay for it if you produce anything above and beyod your schedule from the OEM.

The thought behind all of this is good... however from being in the industy I think it's been handled poorly and started out on the wrong path. I can't really disagree with the thought of trying to protect the environment, but still think the amount of work behind it hasn't been valued added (yet).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts