Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this month, I was at the Dragon and was suffering automatic transmission overheating issues. I was frequently downshifting and revving high and I'd eventually get the overheating warning light. If I ran the Dragon without using the shifter, I would not get the warning light.

I'm at 78K so my first order of business is flushing the tranny fluid. But long term it appears I need a transmission cooler.

I see that Performance Autoworks has a replacement radiator but if you have an automatic, you need an additional transmission cooler because it is not integrated. So if my problem is the transmission overheating, I don't think having a single transmission cooler will help me.

So my thinking is that a bigger radiator is not useful in my case. With the stock radiator, a transmission cooler would cool down the automatic transmission fluid before it goes into the stock radiator thus giving it two chances to cool down.

Anyone have options on what transmission cooler to get? I was wondering if these will work well:

http://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/...rs-x-2-0l-sfi-turbo-dohc/388026_851519_19735/

Hayden® - Pontiac Solstice 2008 Rapid-Cool? Transmission Oil Cooler Kit

Bob

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
One thing I have been looking at is getting more air flow around the tranny. As it currently sits, it is inside the enclosed D tube. The backbone closes the D tube and also stops much of the airflow around the transmission. In my car the result is a lot of heat that could be dumped into the air passing over the transmission is instead trapped and radiated up, into the car. I am planning on creating a small air scoop that will tend to draw air into the D tube and an exhaust air opening to allow the heated air to escape.

As to a transmission cooler, look at light duty truck after market coolers. There are many options that work very well. I found one on Amzon that included a built in fan and thermostat you can find many sizes from ten inches square up to the size of a truck radiator

·
Registered
143 Posts
just get any after market transmission cooler from the auto parts store install it with the included install kit and mount it in front of your radiator . buy the biggest that will fit . about 35 bucks or so . they work very well . and made for heavy duty situation like towing large loads . or racing . this will keep the tranny fluid cold .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts