Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father dropped the pan for an automatic transmission. He is trying to put it back on, but the pan will fit both ways. He said there is a round indent where they used to put a drain plug. Does that part face the front or rear of the car? Also, how many lbs of torque should he apply to the nuts that hold the pan on?

Thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
7,301 Posts
There is a magnet inside the pan that goes to the rear of the car.

The bolts are tightened to 8 lb-ft.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Dad just replaced the pan and put in new fluid. He is asking how to check the fluid level? Also, does the car need to be warm to check the level? He has the car on jack stands, and said it's perfectly level. Step-by-step would be great. He's 75, and I'm 1800 miles away, so we really appreciate any help!

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I believe there is a filler/full hole on the side. He should loosely fit the plug, start the car in park, remove the plug and add additional fluid until it reaches the hole with the car running because the torque converter will pick up some of the fluid, then fully reinsert and tighten the plug before turning off the engine.

·
Super Moderator
7,301 Posts
To add to what Chis said:

There are two filler plugs indicated, both on the left side, one near the front and the other near the back. There is nothing mentioned about checking one or the other, or both. Fill the fluid to the bottom of the threaded hole, and start the engine, With the brake depressed, shift through the gear ranges stopping a few seconds at each. Return the shifter to park.

The fluid has to be between 86 and 122 with the engine running and the transmission in park to accurately check the level.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
With the brake depressed, shift through the gear ranges stopping a few seconds at each. Return the shifter to park.

The fluid has to be between 86 and 122 with the engine running and the transmission in park to accurately check the level.
Thanks for adding that. I thought about it after I posted.

Warm up the tranny with what fluid is in it now and run it through all the gears, then remove the plug and add to top off.

·
Super Moderator
7,301 Posts
Thanks everyone! I'll post back if he has any more questions. :)
You're welcome. What part of the country is your father in? There might be someone close by.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts