Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of the GM cars have a rearview mirror that automatically darkens when headlights are shining at it. They are awesome, because you never get a blinding light in your eyes from the cars behind you.

Does anyone know if the Solstice will come with this? Is it included with one of the packages?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
A lot of the GM cars have a rearview mirror that automatically darkens when headlights are shining at it. They are awesome, because you never get a blinding light in your eyes from the cars behind you.

Does anyone know if the Solstice will come with this? Is it included with one of the packages?
I have not seen one of these mirrors listed as an option. However, you should be able to add an auto-dimming mirror after you get the car.

·
4,592 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I have not seen one of these mirrors listed as an option. However, you should be able to add an auto-dimming mirror after you get the car.
How so exacty, are you saying you can do it as a mod?

How dark do they go?

THX

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
RODEO said:
How so exacty, are you saying you can do it as a mod?

How dark do they go?

THX
How to do the mod? Buy mirror, put on windshield! :lol:

http://www.rpminnovations.com/rearview_mirrors.htm

They often have a compass, temp guage, sometimes map lights built in.

Here is a brief description of how it works (companies name removed since we don't want to plug one maker over another)

Corporation "X" is the world's leading manufacturer of automatic-dimming rearview mirrors. Corp X mirrors are based on the science of electrochromics, which is the process of reversibly darkening materials by applying electricity. During nighttime driving, the mirrors use a combination of sophisticated sensors and electronic circuitry to detect glare from rearward approaching vehicles and darken accordingly to eliminate the glare and preserve driver vision. They are popular, active crash-avoidance safety feature making nightime driving safer for vehicles throughout the world
Usually such mirrors are a couple hundred bucks. To check them out in detail, just do a google search for "auto dimming rearview mirrors".

·
4,592 Posts
Fformula88 said:
How to do the mod? Buy mirror, put on windshield! :lol:
Ouch! What ever happened to 'no dumb questions" :devil:

Thanks, but I was hoping just the mirror part could be swapped, or a tinting material you applied, it looks like the whole unit needs to be swapped, too bad :(

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
RODEO said:
Ouch! What ever happened to 'no dumb questions" :devil:

Thanks, but I was hoping just the mirror part could be swapped, or a tinting material you applied, it looks like the whole unit needs to be swapped, too bad :(
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I thought a self-proclaimed troll as youself would have appreciated the humor. I guess it was a little much. :grouphug:

Nah, they are whole units you have to replace. Not a difficult mod to do, and just as easy as giving GM the same couple hundred to install one from the factory.

If you get one, don't let your wife know about it! You'll have to buy a second for her MSM too!

·
4,592 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I thought a self-proclaimed troll as youself would have appreciated the humor. I guess it was a little much. :grouphug:
Isn't that the smiling devil I put there, I thought it infered a joking devilshness, I was just yanking your chain, I thought it was funny...Buy Mirror, place on windshield - my kinda mod :lol: :brentil:

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
RODEO said:
Isn't that the smiling devil I put there, I thought it infered a joking devilshness, I was just yanking your chain, I thought it was funny...Buy Mirror, place on windshield - my kinda mod :lol: :brentil:
Rodeo, I think Ff88 is getting to seriuos, since he start it moderating, I thought you were joking, or it seem that way.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
RODEO said:
Isn't that the smiling devil I put there, I thought it infered a joking devilshness, I was just yanking your chain, I thought it was funny...Buy Mirror, place on windshield - my kinda mod
I thought so but wasn't positive...

LatinVenom said:
Rodeo, I think Ff88 is getting to seriuos, since he start it moderating, I thought you were joking, or it seem that way.
Now that I have some moderating responsibilities, I have to keep a certainl level of decorum lest some people accuse me of flaming people on the forum! :lol: The old timers here would get the inside joke, but we have so many new members they could take things the wrong way! :) I'll lighten up. :devil:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
LatinVenom said:
I think you're all getting too serious! LOL

Rodeo, the REAL WAY to do this mod so you don't get glare in your eyes is to adjust the mirror so your passenger can see traffic behind. Then they tell you if someone is a problem and you can look in the side mirrors. Otherwise they get the glare and you just drive comfortably!!

:lol:

·
4,592 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I thought so but wasn't positive...
Now that I have some moderating responsibilities, I have to keep a certainl level of decorum lest some people accuse me of flaming people on the forum! :lol: The old timers here would get the inside joke, but we have so many new members they could take things the wrong way! :) I'll lighten up. :devil:
Maybe we need to convince Ff88 to quit moderating so we can have some fun around here :) . Don't let power change you Ff88, remember - "It's Good to be the King" :lol:

You know, the lights in your mirror is much worse today than it was when I was young. Back in the 70s/80s, all you had was full size pickup/vans and 18 wheelers, today you have all those d*mn SUVs (my Rodeo is not inlcuded in that categorization as it's not a full size bohemoth). It can really suck when you feel those lights from 3 feet behind you, but they keep you warm on a cold night while waiting for a light to change :lol:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Did I not read somewhere that the headlights are auto dimming? On my GMC the auto dimming mirrors, both rear and side view, were part of an option package (heated side mirrors, turn signals in side mirrors, temp gauge and compass etc.). I have seen none of these listed anywhere for the Sol.

·
4,592 Posts
Sol Cruisin said:
I think you're all getting too serious! LOL

Rodeo, the REAL WAY to do this mod so you don't get glare in your eyes is to adjust the mirror so your passenger can see traffic behind. Then they tell you if someone is a problem and you can look in the side mirrors. Otherwise they get the glare and you just drive comfortably!!

:lol:
That's close to my solution, I aim all three mirrors/reflections toward the driver of the vehicle behind me, gotta love electric mirrors, hehehe :lol:

A pair of sunglasses helps also, and you look ever so cool wearing them at night :cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Guess that movie

Cannonball Run?

·
4,592 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
Test:

What movie is this from?

Actor tears ferrari rear view from windshield, throws over his shoulder, and says, "What's a-behind a-me, isn't important.."
I believe it was Cannon Ball Run!
It was more like, tears mirror, throws over shoulder, and says, "in Italian Race car driving, we don't a care whats a behind us....

No offense to our Italian American Members, it was the 70s after all, being PC wasn't an issue then. :grouphug:

Good solution AztekRpurty!!!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Close, very close. Your recall of the quote is better than mine, but you named a similar movie, not the exact one.

I'm surprised to see the actor was none other than the late Raul Julia.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0074597/

·
4,592 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
Close, very close. Your recall of the quote is better than mine, but you named a similar movie, not the exact one.

I'm surprised to see the actor was none other than the late Raul Julia.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0074597/
I pulled this from that link:
"Raul Julia as the Italian race driver Franco and his famous first rule of Italian driving"

We need the exact quote....How did you figure out it was Gumball Rally, I don't even remember that title?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
http://imdb.com/title/tt0074597/quotes

[Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it aside]
Franco: The first rule of Italian driving. What's-a-behind me, does not-a-matter.

As for how I remember that, my brain stores everything in inverse proportion to it's importance.

·
4,592 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0074597/quotes
As for how I remember that, my brain stores everything in inverse proportion to it's importance.
Inverse proportion, good one. You were pretty dead on with your original shot at the quote!

So, problem solved, next time I get lights from behind, I'll tear off my mirror, and throw it over my shoulder at the offending vehicle :devil:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts