Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New forum user here and a somewhat new solstice owner. I’ve owned my 2008 GXP for about 2 - 3 months now and i’ve loved every second. I just wanted to know what the 4, I, L on my automatic transmission means. thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
4 is for in town driving supposedly. The I gear is for performance, it keeps the car locked in 1st thru 3rd and L is for standstill towing starts.

The I gear changes the cars performance drastically when playing in the twisties.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow! I can't remember how many times I have looked at that and wondered what in the heck does that (I) mean. Thank you.

Allen

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Here you go: Pontiac Answers 5spd Auto users; When do I shift into D, 4, I or L?
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/pontiac-answers-5spd-auto-users-when-do-i-shift-into-d-4-i-l-74635/

Due to Kappa owner turnover & transmission issues I thought it would be helpful to give this answer a dedicated posting.

2009/WELCOME EDITION/Solstice/Pontiac Performance/Front cover: Rear view pic Mean GXP (matching yellow license plate TRC 432)
INSIDE:
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER -
LEARN ABOUT YOUR SOLSTICE

Pg 8
Q: My Solstice has a 5-speed automatic transmission with shift indicators of PRNDIL. When do I shift into 4, I or L?

A: The D position (overdrive gear) is used for most normal driving situations. It allows the transmission to shift into fifth gear, which provides the fuel-economy* advantage. The fourth postion (4) prevents the transmission from going into fifth gear. It's used for driving around town when you don't need overdrive.

The I position prevents the vehicle from shifting past third gear and should be used when driving on hilly or winding roads.

The L position prevents the transmission from shifting past second gear. It should be used only at extremely low speeds, such as in parking lots or when driving through mud or deep snow.

*EPA estimated mpg 19 city/27 hwy (Solstice GXP with auto); 19 city/24 hwy (Solstice with auto.).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts