Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this for my Dad, who's having a bit of a problem removing the transmission fluid plug on his 2009 GXP. He's wondering if maybe they removed it before and jacked it up. He wants to do a flush, and would rather not drop the pan. Here's his question, in his own words:

2009 Solstice Auto. Is there a special nut they use on the drain plug for the transmission. I’m talking about the plug that’s on the drivers side all the way to the front of the transmission. Is it the normal off is counterclockwise, on is clockwise? Is it a special size, or a 17mm? The 17 fits on there, but it’s sloppy.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, what's the capacity of the auto transmission fluid if you drop the pan?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
Also, what's the capacity of the auto transmission fluid if you drop the pan?

Thanks.
The procedure shown in the '08 manual (I do not have an '09) for draining the fluid is to loosen the bolts on three sides, tap the pan if necessary to break the seal, let the fluid drain, then remove the bolts and the pan. There is no mention of a drain plug.

Is he having a problem with the transmission?

Fluid Capacities:
8.9 lt, 9.4 qt Complete Overhaul
8.5 lt, 9.0 qt Dry
7.0 lt, 7.4 qt Bottom Pan Removal

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The transmission wasn't shifting properly. When he drained the fluid it was black and had sludge in it, and very small metal filings

He has one more question. Since he drained the fluid from the rear differential, how much fluid should he put in?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
...He has one more question. Since he drained the fluid from the rear differential, how much fluid should he put in?

Thanks!
1.1 lt, 1.16 qt assuming he drained it via the drain plug.
70ml, 2.37 oz of limited slip differential additive if he has an LSD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts