Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
8,569 Posts
Just a thought but you might get a better response to your question if you edit the title to; Tips for changing auto trans fluid?

· Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,855 Posts
Whatever you do, do not do a power flush. Just drain and refill.

I have never heard of a "power flush" before. Must be something new. What I have seen is where the transmission lines going to the radiator or cooler get a tee put in each of them and the hoses connect to a container, the hose that is connected to the input port on the radiator/cooler connects to the bottom of the container and the other hose connects to the top of the container. Inside of the container there is a divider and that divider is at the bottom when starting off and the new transmission fluid is poured in. The transmission it's self is what swaps the fluid out as the old comes in to the container the divider moves up and the new fluid goes in. There is no "power" involved in this process other then using what the transmission does anyhow. It is the only way to replace 100% of the fluid inside the transmission short of taking the transmission apart. A person could replace the pan and filter and put new fluid in then drive it around the block and then put a suction hose down the dip stick tube and suck the fluid out and fill it back up. They would have to do that 5 or 6 times and that would replace about 95% of the fluid.

If you have had a bad experience because of a place using that container to do a fluid replacement it would be because it was either connected backwards or the divider was stuck and would not move properly. In both cases it would be user error and not from a design issue with replacing the fluid that way.

· Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flushing a automatic transmission can cause gunk to get pumped through the valve body causing problems on older vehicles. It's not common but it does happen especially if the fluid hasn't been changed in years. These so called service free transmission are most likely to have problems since the fluid only gets changed every 100,000 miles. Synthetic fluids still break down over time. The best way to replace auto transmission fluid is to drain the torque converter along with the the fluid in the rest of the tranny.

· Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,855 Posts
The swapping of the fluid doesn't do anything the transmission doesn't already do itsself. The transmission is what pumps the fluid out and the new fluid gets put back in instead of the old. it does this using the transmission cooler lines.

Now a ding dong is a person that has this service done without having the pan dropped and the filter replaced.

My Lincoln MKS has an automatic transmission and that transmission has no drain plug. It has no transmission pan, it has no transmission filter. The fluid inside of the transmission is supposed to last the life of the vehicle I am at 200k miles on the car and about 5k miles ago I had the fluid swapped.

A transmission holds a lot of fluid. the pan only holds a couple of pints. replacing the filter and only a couple of pints of fluid is not going be of great help if the fluid that is inside the transmission is burnt and has list it's lubricating properties. The fluid needs to be replaced 100% and the way to do that is to have the transmission pump out the old and push in the new.

Reactions: agent008

· Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,596 Posts
bingo !! have a plug silver soldered into the pan.be sur to check for clearance before doing it just any where. also some people like to weld a nut inside the pan, well thats gonna keep you from draining out all the oil in the pan, the nut should always be on the outside if at all possible. some oe plugs are in the bottom of pans some in the sides, our pans aren't hardly deep enough for a side plug unless you do a small plug and position it just right. new pans for our cars are about $50 on flebay.( no plug in them either) I think there was also a deep pan for this trans but I dont think it will fit our cars, although you may be able to space the trans shield down some to accommodate the deeper pan...just beware of road hazzards.

· Registered
11 Posts
Whatever you do, do not do a power flush. Just drain and refill.
What all is required to change the automatic transmission fluid in my 2007 solstice
Discussion Starter · #12 · Nov 9, 2020

Drop exhaust from catalytic converter. Drop transmission cover.

Remove most pan bolts except 4 corners.

Remove 2 corner bolts on one end. Use a flat screw driver to slowly separate the cover from the transmission, releasing most of the oil.

Pan is dropped after most of the oil is out. Removed the filter with a solid tug and installed the new filter. Cleaned up residue, especially around the magnet pad.

Removed old gasket, cleaned mating surfaces (transmission and pan), placed new gasket on, and mounted pan back up.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · Nov 9, 2020

Drop exhaust from catalytic converter. Drop transmission cover.

Remove most pan bolts except 4 corners.

Remove 2 corner bolts on one end. Use a flat screw driver to slowly separate the cover from the transmission, releasing most of the oil.

Pan is dropped after most of the oil is out. Removed the filter with a solid tug and installed the new filter. Cleaned up residue, especially around the magnet pad.

Removed old gasket, cleaned mating surfaces (transmission and pan), placed new gasket on, and mounted pan back up.

click #12

1 - 18 of 18 Posts