Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that on the new Mustang convertible, when you close a door, the window automatically goes down about an inch (perhaps less) and then goes up again. Apparently, this is to protect the top. I wonder if this feature will also be in the Sol (and of course if this feature actually does protect the top a bit).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Very doubtful, considering the Sol comes standard with crank windows. Those cars won't have any electronic mechanism to automatically operate the windows when the door is opened.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fformula88 said:
Very doubtful, considering the Sol comes standard with crank windows. Those cars won't have any electronic mechanism to automatically operate the windows when the door is opened.
Good point. I had forgotten about that. I had ordered my Sol with power windows.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Luc said:
...when you close a door, the window automatically goes down about an inch (perhaps less) and then goes up again. Apparently, this is to protect the top. I wonder if this feature will also be in the Sol (and of course if this feature actually does protect the top a bit).
Commonly called window indexing, it doesn't protect the top, so much as make for a better seal, or a better sealing weatherstrip. The weatherstrip can be designed so that it folds over the edge of the window a bit, making for a better seal.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
My uncle drives a late 90 something M3 that does this. It's quite a high end feature to be on the Solstice I think. Batman is right though, it has nothing to do with the top, as my uncles car is not a convertible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The new Mustang hard tops also do it and the currnet BMW 3 Series Coupes as well.... I was always concerned about the long term reliabilty of this "feature", when I owned the 330 Ci.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts