Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard about a automatic trans being available? I thought I had read that the Solstice uses the same manual trans as the C5. If that's the case it would make sense to just slip in the same auto trans that the C5 uses. Any news?

later,

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
No news on the automatic available at start of production. Edmunds.com article mentions sometime after startup an automatic will be available. That may mean anything from a few months to as long as the 2007 model year.

Besides, why would you want an automatic? Like the Edmunds article says, if you need an automatic trans, you may be missing the point...

Also, manual trans is NOT the C5 trans. All info available points to an Aisin 5-speed. Aisin makes the transmissions for the S2000, and the Chevy Colorado. Since the S2000 is a six speed, the Colorado is a 5-speed and is a GM vehicle, it follows that they are raiding the parts bin for the Colorado tranmission.

All these discussions have been had on this forum, a simple search or a look at the FAQ (in the technical forum) would yield a lot of info.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would like to buy a solstice automatic for my wife to use. If the supercharger is available I'll buy one of those but I need an automatic tranny.

I have a modded Corvettez06 so whatever makes my wife happy is good to go...Always nice to give the wife a beautiful car and thats what the Solstice is..

I'd like to know when the automatic will be available so I can get her a beautiful sports car she can drive.

Will the automatic be available before June 2005?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
solsticeman said:
No news on the automatic available at start of production. Edmunds.com article mentions sometime after startup an automatic will be available. That may mean anything from a few months to as long as the 2007 model year...
ibid.

Conclusion: probably NOT.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
Will the automatic be available before June 2005?
I don't even think the Solstice will be available before June 2005, let alone an automatic transmission. More like August-September 2005 as the release date (end of Summer) for the car itself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JBsZ06 said:
I would like to buy a solstice automatic for my wife to use. If the supercharger is available I'll buy one of those but I need an automatic tranny.

I have a modded Corvettez06 so whatever makes my wife happy is good to go...Always nice to give the wife a beautiful car and thats what the Solstice is..
Exactly! Mine is C5 roadster w/mods. But the wife wants the solstice and has to have an auto. Guess we'll wait until 07' unless the Z4 bug bites her first.

Thanks for the replies.

later,

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Solstice4me said:
The Z4 might bite...it's so FUGLY!!
:agree The Z4 bites alright. TopDown, you must protect your wife from such a nasty bite and save tons of money in the process! :thumbs Patience is the key here. She'll kick herself later when the Solstice comes out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If I didn't already know how to drive manual trans I would learn before the Solstice came out. Maybe if the wife learns beforehand she will see that she likes driving standard and see what she has been missing out on. I won't drive another automatic... :crazy

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks for the replies..

I think I will either extend the lease on her 2002 Envoy or grab the next "pullahead lease amensity deal and do a 24 month lease on a new one for her..

Then the solstice will be out with the supercharger and automatic by then..

Might work out for even a few extra laughs..

BTW..if you go for the Z4 which is also a nice car...get the SMG II transmission option....

Would be a fun way to go so you can enjoy the car as well.

Thats what I would probably opt for if the pontiac had the option...

Tons of Z4's around here..Nice car too..but I prefer to buy American brands myself..just out of principle even though the Z4 I believe is made here in the states..

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Maybe you should just get the manual Solstice and let her learn to drive. She may be a bit afraid to drive a manual because she never has before. However, once she learns that its not that big of a deal she may grow to really like it. I cannot imagine driving this roadster with an auto myself, although I do understand that some people simply would prefer one. However, most of those people probably never drove a manual before, and just don't get one for fear of the unknown.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts