Votes: 36 81.8%
  • I only drive stick

Votes: 4 9.1%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Driving stick is in my blood and is in my reflexes, so when driving auto transmission I make sure my left foot is out of the way and I do not use it at all.

Otherwise I have the risk I want to clutch and step on the brake full force as if it was the clutch.

But I can imagine that drivers raised with an auto transmission use their left foot to brake.

Please enter your method of braking in the above poll.

(I know there is left-foot braking for stick shift as well, but no sane person does / need that on the public road)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I wish I could say I only drive stick......but my job is to drive Audi's around all day.....and they rarely have a manual car come in.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Was always taught that the right foot is gas and brake only. Was taught this by my father and our driving instructor.

The instructor lived in our neighborhood so after many evening classes he would drive a couple of us home. That's when a kid in our class busted him using his left foot on the brake!

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
When learning to drive I was taught to always use two feet with an auto transmission. The lesson stuck, and was told it had to do w/quicker reaction times and safety. I think learning using two feet to control a car has helped when driving the manual.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
I always get a kick out of watching a car in front of me accelerate away from a stop sign with their stop lights still illuminated because the driver still has his/her left foot resting on the brake pedal.

I was taught to use my right foot for both accelerator and brake.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
When I took my driving test (right after the horseless carriage was invented) using the left foot for braking resulted in failing the test.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I always get a kick out of watching a car in front of me accelerate away from a stop sign with their stop lights still illuminated because the driver still has his/her left foot resting on the brake pedal.

I was taught to use my right foot for both accelerator and brake.

:thumbs: Agreed

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,734 Posts
Around here, they teach kids to left foot brake because "it's faster". OR, they just perpetually have their brake lights on.

I say right foot brake with the possible exception of on a track if you know what you're doing...

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I always right foot brake on manual shift cars and left foot brake with automatics. Just my habit developed over the years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My solstices Is my daily driver and it is a manual so I am used to using my right foot. That said, my mom has a later model Toyota 4runner that's an automatic and when someone pull out in front of me the other day, my go to reaction was to slam my left foot into the brake pedal and that's probably the only thing that kept me from hitting them.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Can't speak for chickenwire, but my driving instructor had us always watching out for an imaginary friend called "little Johnny" when we were parallel parking and backing up that we always seemed to run over! Poor guy never had a chance!

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
That said, my mom has a later model Toyota 4runner that's an automatic and when someone pull out in front of me the other day, my go to reaction was to slam my left foot into the brake pedal and that's probably the only thing that kept me from hitting them.
I believe that was my driver instructors thinking, training your two feet to perform two different functions for better control. It feels very natural to me now to accelerate w/my right foot and break w/my left driving an auto.

Now when I'm driving the manual my left foot is just used for the clutch, while my right is used for accelerating and braking.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Braking with your left foot is dangerous and should be illegal! Glazed brakes and no warning of sudden braking because people forget where their foot is.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Left foot braking on the track is common, even necessary from my understanding. Average driver on the street however, is another tale.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
So is driving 200mph, doesn't mean it should be done on the streets.
And who drives an automatic on the track?
2 foot Auto Driving is Just Plain Wrong

Cheers??

·
Registered
347 Posts
I actually often use my left foot for the brake AND the gas. Often when driving for long periods, I pull up the right foot to the seat to give it a little 'time out'.
Using either leg should not be a problem if you're skilled enough. Oh, and if you're a guy who can drive using your middle leg, then you belong in Hollywood, not just a car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts