Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Look at the last line. And before anyone makes at deal about it, Lori meant that at the point of the interview, last month, 750 of the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Retail Order Solstices had been built.

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=54445

Looking for a Solstice? Then turn and earn

By Jamie LaReau
Automotive News / September 12, 2005

PORTLAND, Ore. - If you're a big-volume Pontiac dealer in a hot, sunny state, consider yourself lucky. If not, you might wait awhile to get the new Solstice roadster on your lot.

With 13,000 orders in hand, Pontiac has devised a dealership allocation plan based on a combination of "turn and earn" and geography.

Turn and earn means dealerships that have the highest sales volume for the past 12 months will get a Solstice before smaller dealerships, Chris Ayotte, Pontiac marketing manager for small cars, said at an event here last month.

Pontiac also will consider where the roadster segment is strongest, which is typically in sunny and warm climates, says Mark-Hans Richer, Pontiac marketing director.

"We have a distribution strategy that does have a small skew toward sunnier climates," Richer says. "At the same time we want to make sure we take care of our Pontiac dealers.

"Many of our largest dealers happen to be in more North Central and North Eastern markets. So we've taken a balanced approach whereby everyone gets taken care of but maybe at different times."

Richer says during winter, Northern markets might not get as many Solstices. Distribution would flow to Southern areas. In the spring, distribution would flow back to Northern dealers.

Pontiac debuted the car on the April 14 episode of NBC's "The Apprentice" TV show. At that time, 1,000 customers placed orders for special versions of the car. So far about 750 "Apprentice" orders have been filled, says Lori Queen, GM's vehicle line executive for small cars.

Once the initial "Apprentice" orders are filled, Pontiac will deliver the cars to dealers based on the allocation plan, Ayotte says. Richer and Ayotte don't believe customers will cancel their orders if they have to wait.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised no one from a Northern state has posted a response to this. I think it actually makes a lot of sense, but that's easy for me to say because I live in a southern state!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I hope they count Virginia as a Southern state :)

·
4,592 Posts
Winter is coming, and I live in LA, how sweet it is :)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Since no one else seems to want to represent the northern states, I will. Send my car when its ready!! I plan to drive it all year. I even plan to drive it home from the dealer with the top down, unless rain or snow is very close. Not that it know how to rain in Central Illinois anyway!

What is "top down weather"? Anytime you don't get wet at a stop light!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I don't understand the "Apprentice Orders"... Shouldn't all Solstices ordered durring the promotion fall under that umbrella?

I was waitlisted by 5 minutes... I should be RIGHT in line behind the first 1000.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Editguy said:
Wow, I'm surprised no one from a Northern state has posted a response to this. I think it actually makes a lot of sense, but that's easy for me to say because I live in a southern state!
I pretty much expected it. They will swing more back to northern states in spring. Makes business sense to sell them where it's warm I guess. Probably standard way of doing things for 'verts.

As far as the 750 orders have been filled goes, if "filled" she means built then that is older info because we are pretty sure the 1000 are done. Article probably was written a couple weeks back. Now if filled means shipped, that's different thing ;)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Northern States and Canada should get cars FIRST

:agree: That when the orders drop off, a scheme based upon geography should be applied.

But right now everyone with any sense wants their car, regardless of when it shows up, because we have been waiting a long time already and don't expect the wait to get shorter with time.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
But right now everyone with any sense wants their car, regardless of when it shows up, because we have been waiting a long time already and don't expect the wait to get shorter with time.
:agree: and that confirms what was quoted in the last line (the line SD was pointing out) that we aren't likely to cancel our orders if we have to wait. I know I will wait as long as it takes, and suffer every minute of the wait ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Northern response

Editguy said:
I live in Connecticut and I want my car NOW Damit!

I really want to go do some Fall Foliage rides with the top down. I'm #1 of 4 in the dealer's first allocation, so I'm really hoping for an early October delivery at this point. Being VERY prone to sun burn, I'm more likely to drive the car with the top down in the spring and fall than in the summer days. My S.O. has a Jeep Wrangler and I hate dealing with the sunblock on long rides in the full sun during the summer.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Why does it really matter where you live example if theirs an equal amount of sales north and south why not deliver the cars equally as their built

·
Registered
67 Posts
I sure hope this isnt a change to the allocation they have already informed the dealers about months ago.

They are totally fooling themselves if they think people wont cancel and the delays arent hurting their idea of bringing new people into the Pontiac fold. The only reason I am in the first four month allocation is because several people in front of me have dropped out already.

People cancelling orders may be good for me and some others but its not good for Pontiac.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I really don't think there willbe many cancellations. I would love to have the car now, but if I have to wait until next June, I will wait. There's nothing out there for me to replace it with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts