Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the dream of a 250HP turbo direct from the General may have been just that.

The Article

Car News briefs: GM confirms Solstice, Sky will get supercharged engine
AUTOWEEK
Posted Date: 10/6/05

Boosted roadsters

That a Vauxhall version of the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky is in the works is nothing new. What is: We have confirmation of a supercharged high-output engine for the 2007 Vauxhall Lightning as well as Solstice and Sky.

Jon Lauckner, General Motors’ global product planning boss, says the Vauxhall two-seater will come to market with a 2.0-liter supercharged four-cylinder. The engine is expected to produce in excess of 200 hp and peak torque of 200 lb-ft, according to insiders. Look for the boosted engine in Solstice and Sky late next year.

Performance mods

The executive who has toiled since 2001 to make General Motors’ Performance Division a reality has a new job. Mark Reuss took over Oct. 1 as executive director of North America Vehicle Systems, where he is responsible for engineering all body and chassis systems. The new name at Performance Division is Bob Kruse, who adds the hot rod shop to his responsibilities as executive director of North America Vehicle Integration. GM officials say it’s an organizational “cleanup.”

Building better bots

This year’s robots look more competent than last year’s models, and one of them might actually win that $2 million prize in the DARPA Grand Challenge planned for Oct. 8 in the desert near Primm, Nevada. The Grand Challenge (DARPA stands for Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) is a government-run contest aimed at getting private entrepreneurs to build robotic vehicles that drive themselves, without remote-controlled human guidance (April 12, 2004). Last year no robot went farther than seven miles on the 142-mile desert dirt course.

This year’s grid looks stronger. During the first day of qualifying for the Challenge, seven of the 43 semifinalists lapped the 2.2-mile obstacle-strewn course at California Speedway, compared to none on opening day of last year’s qualifying session. As of press time, with three days of qualifying to go, 23 cars had unofficially qualified for the 20-robot field that will go for the big money Oct. 8.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Not suprised. I never belived that the Corvette group would let them stuff 250+ HP into a Solstice.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Hum I guess those pictures last month from Germany testing a 240HP turbo were them just having fun

All these articles contradict each other :confused:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mceb said:
All these articles contradict each other :confused:
Yeah, I guess I have to give a little more credit to this one since they quote a GM source by name.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
mceb said:
Hum I guess those pictures last month from Germany testing a 240HP turbo were them just having fun
Read the wording closely. It's pure speculation. They never saw what was in that car.

Most likely this Solstice will carry the GT Turbo nomenclature behind its name. Power is expected to come from turbo charging the Ecotec four-cylinder. The stock engine makes 177 horsepower and we expect the blown version to make upwards of 240 horsepower.
They are trying to sell magazines so they follow the old adage, "If you don't know, make it up"

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
LBJay said:
They are trying to sell magazines so they follow the old adage, "If you don't know, make it up"
Same could be said this this article too ;)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
mceb said:
Same could be said this this article too ;)

We have confirmation of a supercharged high-output engine for the 2007 Vauxhall Lightning as well as Solstice and Sky.

Jon Lauckner, General Motors’ global product planning boss, says the Vauxhall two-seater will come to market with a 2.0-liter supercharged four-cylinder.
Doesn't sound made up

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Supercharger vs. Turbocharger

Pardon (1) my ignorance and (2) lack of desire to go web searching, but exactly what is/are the fundamental differences in supercharging versus turbocharging an engine?

Thanks.

--Chemist (I know bicycles, not cars! :) )

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
LBJay said:
Doesn't sound made up
Yea but it does contridict about 6 months worth different articles saying turbo. This includes sightings in Colorado 6 months ago, the Cheers and Gears pictures, the Germany pictures, etc.

Same magazine said in July that they were told both were tested and the turbo was chosen.

Though General Motors tested both supercharged and turbocharged versions of the 2.0-liter Ecotec four-cylinder, our spies tell us the General has settled on an intercooled turbo to push the base Solstice engine to 250 hp
http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102728

Crazy, maybe they just report whatever the last person tells them :willy:

·
Registered
844 Posts
A supercharger is driven off the accessory belts of an engine(generally), it is always running at all engine rpms and provides boost throughout the rev range from 1 rpm to redline.

A turbocharger is driven/propelled by the exhaust gases and kicks in at a pre-set rpm. Hence the term turbo-lag because you might notice a delay before the turbo starts to provide boost.

Both systems add pressurized (re: heated) air to the intake side of the engine, more air = more fuel as the car's computer adjusts the air fuel mixture at the fuel injection nozzles. The hot air isnt perfect so many/nearly all boosted engines also opt for an intercooler to chill the air before it enters the engine to be combusted. Cooler air fuel misture = better combustion and more power.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think this must be a mis-direction article initated by GM to throw the other manufacturers off track. If GM puts a 205 hp 2.0L in the Solstice and Sky then Honda and BMW are safe from any type of comparasion.

Or, did the turbo just plain suck when tested in the real world?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
LBJay said:
Not suprised. I never belived that the Corvette group would let them stuff 250+ HP into a Solstice.
Why not? So your saying that a potential buyer for a 450hp all American V8 Corvette is going to jump ship to a 4 cylinder turbo 240hp Solstice? I really doubt it. Plenty of room for both cars. I really don't think the Corvette group has all that much influence over what goes on at other divisions anyways, considering it's struggling for it's own survival again and again.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I would love to see a supercharger. It's my preference. I really don't like turbos. It's all smoke and mirrors until they make an official announcement. The magazines don't really know all that much. They just hear a rumor or speculation from some guy that works for GM and they run with it. Keeps us reading and advertisers happy.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
TerpFan said:
Or, did the turbo just plain suck when tested in the real world?
Or costs too much.

The 2.0 supercharged they already have developed and know it can pass the EPA standards. Just the costs for having a new engine EPA certified can run in excess of 1 million dollars. They may not be willing to spend more on a low production car.

·
Registered
299 Posts
That a Vauxhall version of the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky is in the works is nothing new. What is: We have confirmation of a supercharged high-output engine for the 2007 Vauxhall Lightning as well as Solstice and Sky.

Jon Lauckner, General Motors’ global product planning boss, says the Vauxhall two-seater will come to market with a 2.0-liter supercharged four-cylinder. The engine is expected to produce in excess of 200 hp and peak torque of 200 lb-ft, according to insiders. Look for the boosted engine in Solstice and Sky late next year.
I read nothing in there confirming a SC for the Solstice or Sky. ;)

The source is the "Global" production planning boss for GM, who has nothing to do with the US market. And he is quoted as mentioning the Vauxhall Lightning only, but he never said anything about the Solstice and Sky. That was the Magazine who threw those two names in there.

The article really has no ne info on the Solstice and Sky. what was said can only be held true for the Vauxhall. :yawn:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
AeroDave said:
official announcement.
Jon Lauckner, General Motors’ global product planning boss, says
Sounds official to me!

Jon Lauckner is GM vice president of global program management. This new position, reporting to Bob Lutz, vice chairman of product development, is a key part of the company's global product development initiative.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would prefer the supercharged engine to a turbo, which as some
have pointed out, doesn't deliver power in a linear fashion. I assume
GM will replicate the SC setup of the 3800 and implement boost-on-demand,
in the interests of fuel economy. It's just possible that the spike in gasoline prices may have tilted the decision towards the SC as the force inducer
of choice. Amongst the aftermarket HP hogs, SCs are overwhelmingly
the prefered method, if that means anything.

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
psycho-squirrel said:
A supercharger is driven off the accessory belts of an engine(generally), it is always running at all engine rpms and provides boost throughout the rev range from 1 rpm to redline.

A turbocharger is driven/propelled by the exhaust gases and kicks in at a pre-set rpm. Hence the term turbo-lag because you might notice a delay before the turbo starts to provide boost.

Both systems add pressurized (re: heated) air to the intake side of the engine, more air = more fuel as the car's computer adjusts the air fuel mixture at the fuel injection nozzles. The hot air isnt perfect so many/nearly all boosted engines also opt for an intercooler to chill the air before it enters the engine to be combusted. Cooler air fuel misture = better combustion and more power.
Thank you for a quick and succinct reply. I had assumed that both would most likely include the intercooler (with which I _was_ familiar). It's good to learn something new every day! :thumbs:

Personally, I'll take my Solstice any way I can get it, normally aspirated, super-, or turbo-charged! :yesnod:

--Chemist

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Liam1694u said:
I read nothing in there confirming a SC for the Solstice or Sky. ;)

We have confirmation of a supercharged high-output engine for the 2007 Vauxhall Lightning as well as Solstice and Sky.
Clear to me!

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
LBJay said:
If I wanted lies and half truths I would read the New York Times. :lol:

Oh well, at least we know for sure that something cool and fast is coming out next year. :cool:

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.