Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Quick little blurb in Autoweek with some speculation on the future HiPo Solstice....

Meanwhile, with the 2006 Pontiac Solstice roadster due this fall, we’re already getting word that the hotted-up version is nearing completion. Though General Motors tested both supercharged and turbocharged versions of the 2.0-liter Ecotec four-cylinder, our spies tell us the General has settled on an intercooled turbo to push the base Solstice engine to 250 hp.

We’ll see the high-performance turbo-powered Solstice GXP, with dual exhaust and a six-speed manual tranny, on sale next year as a 2007 model.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102726

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
castleking said:
Cool. I hope that they can keep the front fascia looking that good!
That might be a development front fascia unfortunately. It's defintely got some massive chunks cut out of it at the bottom to make room for the intercooler. The fake side vents have camo on them too. Wonder if they're going to be putting something more functional there (I hope of course).

·
Registered
446 Posts
So any word on whether the turbo will have vvt?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
stonebreaker said:
So any word on whether the turbo will have vvt?
The only concrete thing we know is GM is working on a Turbocharged version due to the spy photos. We don't even haev any concrete official GM information this car will exist. I don't doubt that it will, but at this time GM has made no official comments about a Solstice GXP and it's specifications.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
How to be in perpetual wait mode

brentil said:
The only concrete thing we know is GM is working on a Turbocharged version due to the spy photos. We don't even haev any concrete official GM information this car will exist. I don't doubt that it will, but at this time GM has made no official comments about a Solstice GXP and it's specifications.
Order a Solstice in the Spring 2005 hoping to get it for summer, at which time they announce a turbo charged version is possible in the fall of 2007. Wait until the fall of 2006, still no car, so cancel the order.

Order a turbo Solstice in the Spring of 2006 hoping to get it for summer, at which time they announce a V-6 version, ....

Order a V-6 Solstice in the Spring of 2007 etc. in summer they announce a turbo version

Order a turbo V-6 Solstice in the Spring of 2008...

Anyway, the message here is don't wait for the next great thing to come along: Carpe Diem, seize the day even if our cars don't arrive until December, we will still have them long before any of this other stuff happens.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
Order a Solstice in the Spring 2005 hoping to get it for summer, at which time they announce a turbo charged version is possible in the fall of 2007. Wait until the fall of 2006, still no car, so cancel the order.

Order a turbo Solstice in the Spring of 2006 hoping to get it for summer, at which time they announce a V-6 version, ....

Order a V-6 Solstice in the Spring of 2007 etc. in summer they announce a turbo version

Order a turbo V-6 Solstice in the Spring of 2008...

Anyway, the message here is don't wait for the next great thing to come along: Carpe Diem, seize the day even if our cars don't arrive until December, we will still have them long before any of this other stuff happens.
Why not order a Mallett Conversion? You could be driving a V8 by Christmas time.

·
Registered
844 Posts
This is great news, and a welcome relief as well. I have always planned to buy a Solstice in 2006, and I don't mind waiting for the fall 2007 MY Solstice GXP.

There has been alot of negativity around this site about the delays of production for the first 1000 and first 10,000 Solstii for that matter. I am glad I was not caught up in the mayhem. The quirks/bugs of initial productions can all be ironed out between now and 2006 when I buy my Solstice, and I will have a GXP to smoke those first 1000 snobs :p

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'd suggest buying the solstice when you want to and if a higher performance version comes out? Sell your car to the clamoring public and buy a turbo version?

I'd guess it will depreciate about 4 grand per year for the first couple of years..

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
I'd suggest buying the solstice when you want to and if a higher performance version comes out? Sell your car to the clamoring public and buy a turbo version?

I'd guess it will depreciate about 4 grand per year for the first couple of years..
Who knows. If production hasn't ramped up quick enough and there are shortages for a while, especially since some dealers already have all of the first 4 month allocation, and depending on the following 4 month allocation maybe even that one sold too. A year old Solstice might still be worth what you paid for it. Now that would be nice wouldn't it? :D Now only if that was going to be true.

·
Registered
96 Posts
mceb said:
Quick little blurb in Autoweek with some speculation on the future HiPo Solstice....

Meanwhile, with the 2006 Pontiac Solstice roadster due this fall, we’re already getting word that the hotted-up version is nearing completion. Though General Motors tested both supercharged and turbocharged versions of the 2.0-liter Ecotec four-cylinder, our spies tell us the General has settled on an intercooled turbo to push the base Solstice engine to 250 hp.

We’ll see the high-performance turbo-powered Solstice GXP, with dual exhaust and a six-speed manual tranny, on sale next year as a 2007 model.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102726
250 hp? Ummm, I think I mentioned that before... ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Don't forget that if demand for the 177hp Solstice stays high, Pontiac could delay the GXP and use it to increase demand again in a couple of years once things cool off a little. If they have a limited production capacity, why drive demand even higher?

Sometimes I hate my ideas.

·
Registered
96 Posts
WaitingForBoost said:
Don't forget that if demand for the 177hp Solstice stays high, Pontiac could delay the GXP and use it to increase demand again in a couple of years once things cool off a little. If they have a limited production capacity, why drive demand even higher?

Sometimes I hate my ideas.
Yes, this is essentially what they are doing...It is now a pretty common marketing strategy to release a less powerful model first and then use a premium model with extra hp and added options or colors to keep sales chugging. The only question is when to release the new model, as it is not an exact science. Given the current competitive market with ever-quickening product life cycles (PLCs) and trends, Pontiac might bring this performance model to market sooner than later. Usually a minimum of year separation between models is required, but Pontiac might shorten the wait (under a year?) to keep the heat on the competition. After all, there are already many "base" Solstice sold and the competition is not going to let up.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
If I were to lay money on one side or the other, I'm afraid I'd pick a delayed GXP over a 2007 introduction. :leaving:

My sympathies to all of you waiting for a peppier Solstice :(

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
So if i understand this... .I can get the first 1,000 Solstice.. then later get the highpower model.. and have enough trunk room to carry a full set of clubs between the two of them?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm buying both. My father is getting the 2006, and I'm getting the GXP version. We'll trade off occationally, or he'll drive mine, and I'll drive my T/A.

He says, if he doesn't like his after driving mine, he's going to trade it in.

Nice to know I'll get to drive the 06 before I buy the 07.

·
Registered
281 Posts
brentil said:
...A year old Solstice might still be worth what you paid for it. Now that would be nice wouldn't it? :D Now only if that was going to be true.
Who woulda guessed that an ugly hybird would be worth as much or more used? The Prius was hard to get for a while, and used prices were right up there with new prices.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts