Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the bad news on over MSRP is spreading to the news media.

Car News briefs: Pontiac's Solstice going for thousands over sticker

AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
AUTOWEEK
Posted Date: 9/21/05

Well, that didn't take long. With demand far outstripping supply, the Pontiac Solstice, which went on sale in early August, typically fetches about $5,000 over sticker price on eBay, AutoTrader.com and at dealerships.

That makes the new roadster the hottest Pontiac in years.

One eBay bidder dropped $32,900 for one of the low-slung roadsters, which start at $19,995 and rise to $24,700 fully loaded.

Some of the first 1,000 cars, which were sold to buyers through a promotion on the hit TV show "The Apprentice," are bringing an even bigger premium. One eBayer paid $10,000 for the right to buy car number 664.

GM says it will build about 7,000 Solstices this year.

Pontiac dealers have ordered 13,000 Solstices; many won't get more than one until next year.
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103226

Attachments

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Optomist

I'm finally coming around to view the silver lining with this stuff. I'm no longer bitter. Won't this ultimately make all of our cars hold their value far better than the average American-made car?

·
Registered
164 Posts
2KWK4U said:
I'm finally coming around to view the silver lining with this stuff. I'm no longer bitter. Won't this ultimately make all of our cars hold their value far better than the average American-made car?
Well, if Pontiac jacks up the price to kill the demand it might. I suspect supply will catch up with demand in about two years....and I also suspect there won't be too much tweaking with the design for a while...so buy it for the long term thrills, not resale value.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Won't this ultimately make all of our cars hold their value far better than the average American-made car?
Nope. It just means you payed too much. If GM would stop offering "cash back" on new cars that would help them hold their value better. In a few years the Solstice will be just another great car, but no longer the new kid on the block.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
2KWK4U said:
What's a used Fiero going for these days? ;)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
flaj said:
What's a used Fiero going for these days? ;)
Like any car, it depends on condition. Good condition Fieros are not giveaways, in spite of what many people think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts