• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this poll has been done here or not. I'm interested in finding out the average age of this board. For potential buyers.

·
Premium Member
10,407 Posts
This poll was done before.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Age?

55 but who's counting? :)

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
LatinVenom said:
This poll was done before.
Yes, but that was during the 05 NAIAS, and before:

-the new MX-5 details (which can drive more traffic),
-the Pontiac website was updated,(again can drive more traffic)
-we had nearly 850 members (I think the last one was around 700)
-the Solstice started making the rounds,
-trunk pictures...

Another poll can't hurt.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
You guys are old enough to be my parents. :willy:
This is a Roadster, and in general they're targeted to the older generations. The price of the Solstice has helped bring it down to a level that younger people can afford as well now too.

Which is why this poll needs more differentiation in the grouping above 45, because a majority of people are going to be in the 45+ age group more then likely over time.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
That's right ... so go to your room and you get NO Solstice!! :lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brentil said:
This is a Roadster, and in general they're targeted to the older generations. The price of the Solstice has helped bring it down to a level that younger people can afford as well now too.

Which is why this poll needs more differentiation in the grouping above 45, because a majority of people are going to be in the 45+ age group more then likely over time.
Interesting as I was just looking to see how many spoiled kids would be driving this car ;)

I don't think any more differentiation is required because maturity levels are fairly similar in the higher age brackets. IE. 16-25 might be more tuner coolness factor, 25-35 your getting maybe more into motorsports and racing with some coolness factor, 35-45 usually mid life crisis mobile, and > 45 just a fun sunday run-about.

Ok now I hope that those statements don't offend, if they do I am sorry, it is a generalization. It doesn't mean if you are 35-45 and buying this car it's a midlife crisis, but I'm just trying to get an idea of demographics for the car.

Currently I own an S2000. Typically the owners were 26 - 40, sports car fans with knowledge of the cars pottential. But with lowering used car prices this has all changed to 18 year olds wanting the Honda of all Hondas.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
How do you know we AREN'T your parents :lol:

<heavy, labored breath>
"Audio, I am your father...."

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
wing said:
Interesting as I was just looking to see how many spoiled kids would be driving this car ;)

I don't think any more differentiation is required because maturity levels are fairly similar in the higher age brackets. IE. 16-25 might be more tuner coolness factor, 25-35 your getting maybe more into motorsports and racing with some coolness factor, 35-45 usually mid life crisis mobile, and > 45 just a fun sunday run-about.

Ok now I hope that those statements don't offend, if they do I am sorry, it is a generalization. It doesn't mean if you are 35-45 and buying this car it's a midlife crisis, but I'm just trying to get an idea of demographics for the car.

Currently I own an S2000. Typically the owners were 26 - 40, sports car fans with knowledge of the cars pottential. But with lowering used car prices this has all changed to 18 year olds wanting the Honda of all Hondas.
Some of us have delayed our mid-life crisis. Or are going through second and third. Of course we could generalize that the typical S2000 market is the ex-soccer mom who is moving up from another 'chick' car, the Del Sol, after tiring of a Z4. :jester: All in jest, wingman.

I wouldn't think a Solstice would be a replacement for a S2K, since the S2K's performance is up with the GTO and 300 Hemi-C and is actually faster than the Z4 3.0, on par with the CLK and very very close to the Elise and Boxter. So the Sol has to be a Sunday runabout or tuner car for the kids? How many MX-5's and MR2's are running around the 'tuner' crowd? That's the domain of the small FWD compact coupes from where I sit. Burnouts and subwoofers and 10 cu. ft. $5000 speakers. You need a hatchback for that!

Certainly teen drivers are going to buy or end up with a Solstice. I don't deny that. But just as certainly old f888rts like my wife and I may be lucky enough, too. But at our stage in life this can't be the only car we own. We still have friends who havn't passed on yet and until we no longer have any friends or can't remember who they are, then we need 4 up seating as well.

·
Registered
284 Posts
wing said:
16-25 might be more tuner coolness factor,
I couldn't care less about looking cool to the "tuners". I like driving unique, stylish sportscars. I wouldn't be caught dead driving or drooling over a riced up civic with a fart can. I love my '79 Camaro because there's very few of them driving around and it's not what the "cool" people are driving. I like it, it turns heads from older generations, but people in my age bracket do give it respect whenever they see what a stock 26 year old car can do compared to their rice rockets.

So all-in-all I will be driving it because it's unique, has better styling than the Miata, and because I want a NEW car so I can start restoring my Camaro. (Since there's no NEW Camaro and the Vette and GTO are way out of my price range I'm going to get the next best sports car GM has to offer.) Plus I've always wanted a roadster since my Uncle first took me for rides in his old Spitfire when I was little.

(That's the great thing about being married, I can have a bland sedan for her daily driver and keep a fun car as my daily driver. I say it's no sense to have a daily driver thats not fun but she couldn't care less so I get the best of both worlds!! haha)

PS. I'll turn 22 slightly before the Solstice comes out.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
simmonsmb said:
(That's the great thing about being married, I can have a bland sedan for her daily driver and keep a fun car as my daily driver. I say it's no sense to have a daily driver thats not fun but she couldn't care less so I get the best of both worlds!! haha)

PS. I'll turn 22 slightly before the Solstice comes out.
Be careful you don't have all the fun or you'll be lucky to end up with the bland sedan and not walking. If the ex doesn't get the Sol, her attorney will. :lol:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
What is this "tuner crowd" that I am hearing? I'm 18 and have never heard such phrase... I'm still getting criticized for wanting this car by all the kinds who like Imports *gag* or just like to talk about how they want the most power in a car possible, and how the Solstice is "inferior" to their vehicle of choice.

All in all... no one at my school of 2000 students knows what the Solstice is.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
That's the "tuner crowd." The current use of the term comes from people "tuning" import cars in attempts to make high performance cars from cheap cars.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Tuner crowd: I'd say that the tuner crowd is the new generation (under 30) of automotive enthusiats, especially hot rodders, who enjoy modifying and customizing their cars.

They often get criticized for the cars they chose to work on which are often Japanese branded economy cars (but often more expensive import cars too). However, its really the hot rodders spirit that is behind it, and that isn't all that different from past generations who modified their F-bodies, muscle cars, and whatever for better performance.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.