Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, sorry to start off by posting such an unhappy message...but here goes. Two months ago, sight unseen, I purchased a black/black Solstice in response to an ad on eBay by Joseph Neri Pontiac for vehicle #129. Even though I paid many thousands over MSRP I was excited at the prospect of taking delivery of this beautiful car. Though the car lacked a leather interior I noted that the car was advertised by the dealer with several options including something described as a "power package". What was never disclosed by the dealer, despite the fact that I fully informed Joseph Neri Pontiac that I intended to register the car in Phoenix, AZ, was that this particular vehicle was NOT equipped with A/C. Upon discovering this unhappy surprise I contacted the dealer to inquire as to their position. At first they refused to help me. Then I saw no choice but to hire a lawyer and they grudgingly agreed to pick the car up and refund my money. However, during this period of time (several weeks) the car sat in my business driveway in NJ. Now the dealer refuses to take the car back because it has water leaking into the luggage compartment area (!!??) and a couple of small dings from falling acorns. Here's the thing, if I had intended to keep the car in NJ I would have made arrangements to store it there. But as Joseph Neri was made to understand I fully intended to drive it cross country to my residence in Arizona. But because I was duped by Joseph Neri in the sale, I realized the futility of bringing the car to AZ. And during the past several weeks much rain has fallen on NJ. And apparently there is a manufacturing defect that allows this rain to penetrate the luggage area. Now Joseph Neri is, essentially, telling me to go pound sand. I am out many thousands of dollars. I am responsible to pay for a car without A/C which I cannot use in my home state of Arizona. The car sits in my driveway in NJ accumulating more acorn dings and, apparently, water damage. And all of this because Joseph Neri Pontiac perpetrated what amounts to a fraud upon a long distance customer. The reason I'm posting herein is to present my unhappy experience as a cautionary tale and to advise anyone considering purchasing a Solstice to avoid Joseph Neri Pontiac like the plague.

angeno
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Acorn Dings......

Hope all works out for you! I am curious about the acorn dings. Is the car parked under a tree? Did you consider a car cover? This entire ordeal should be a lesson learned for all forum members. Don't get too impulsive on buying from anyone at anytime. Sorry you didn't get what you wanted. Hope everyone that reads this thread avoids this dealer and any dealer that does business this way. :cuss:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
angeno said:
Though the car lacked a leather interior I noted that the car was advertised by the dealer with several options including something described as a "power package". What was never disclosed by the dealer, despite the fact that I fully informed Joseph Neri Pontiac that I intended to register the car in Phoenix, AZ, was that this particular vehicle was NOT equipped with A/C.
So the car was not advertised as having been built with the optional air conditioning. You comfirm that by talking about the eBay listing. You don't indicate that the dealership mislead you to believe it had the optional air conditioning. You are basing the complaint on the assumption that a sales person in New York would know some one registering a car in Arizona would require the optional air conditioning. Require it to the point of not buying a car that didn't have it.


angeno said:
However, during this period of time (several weeks) the car sat in my business driveway in NJ. Now the dealer refuses to take the car back because it has water leaking into the luggage compartment area (!!??) and a couple of small dings from falling acorns. And during the past several weeks much rain has fallen on NJ. The car sits in my driveway in NJ accumulating more acorn dings and, apparently, water damage.
And you fault the dealership for not taking back a damaged car. Stranger still, you allow more damage to occur.


As you say this is a cautionary tale, just not the way you mean it to read.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,053 Posts
Acorn damage? Were the squirrels throwing them at your car? :lol: I've never heard of that type of damage. Why not park in a garage or public storage? Seems much safer. If someone would have stolen it, you would be screwed too. Interesting story though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
angeno said:
Hi All, sorry to start off by posting such an unhappy message...but here goes. Two months ago, sight unseen, I purchased a black/black Solstice in response to an ad on eBay by Joseph Neri Pontiac for vehicle #129. Even though I paid many thousands over MSRP I was excited at the prospect of taking delivery of this beautiful car. Though the car lacked a leather interior I noted that the car was advertised by the dealer with several options including something described as a "power package". What was never disclosed by the dealer, despite the fact that I fully informed Joseph Neri Pontiac that I intended to register the car in Phoenix, AZ, was that this particular vehicle was NOT equipped with A/C. Upon discovering this unhappy surprise I contacted the dealer to inquire as to their position. At first they refused to help me. Then I saw no choice but to hire a lawyer and they grudgingly agreed to pick the car up and refund my money. However, during this period of time (several weeks) the car sat in my business driveway in NJ. Now the dealer refuses to take the car back because it has water leaking into the luggage compartment area (!!??) and a couple of small dings from falling acorns. Here's the thing, if I had intended to keep the car in NJ I would have made arrangements to store it there. But as Joseph Neri was made to understand I fully intended to drive it cross country to my residence in Arizona. But because I was duped by Joseph Neri in the sale, I realized the futility of bringing the car to AZ. And during the past several weeks much rain has fallen on NJ. And apparently there is a manufacturing defect that allows this rain to penetrate the luggage area. Now Joseph Neri is, essentially, telling me to go pound sand. I am out many thousands of dollars. I am responsible to pay for a car without A/C which I cannot use in my home state of Arizona. The car sits in my driveway in NJ accumulating more acorn dings and, apparently, water damage. And all of this because Joseph Neri Pontiac perpetrated what amounts to a fraud upon a long distance customer. The reason I'm posting herein is to present my unhappy experience as a cautionary tale and to advise anyone considering purchasing a Solstice to avoid Joseph Neri Pontiac like the plague.

angeno
Call they Attny General from where the car was sold., the car you agreed to buy did not have what it said it did.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
deluke said:
Call they Attny General from where the car was sold., the car you agreed to buy did not have what it said it did.
He never says that. Reread the post. He goes to great lengths to say it was not advertised with air conditioning.

Plus they already went the lawyer route, and the best they could come up with was an agreement to take it back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
I'm confused -- How does the "power package" have anything to do with the A/C. That's a separate option..

Am I reading something wrong here?

Wife of Sol Survivor
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
This sounds like an unfortunate misunderstanding. Can't the dealer install AC after the fact? I know this is inferior to the factory installed unit, but I would think it would be an option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
Small Dealer said:
He never says that. Reread the post. He goes to great lengths to say it was not advertised with air conditioning.

Plus they already went the lawyer route, and the best they could come up with was an agreement to take it back.
OK re-read mis understood, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
Small Dealer said:
He never says that. Reread the post. He goes to great lengths to say it was not advertised with air conditioning.

Plus they already went the lawyer route, and the best they could come up with was an agreement to take it back.
:agree: The way this was written it sounds much more like buyer ignorance than dealer fraud. Maybe it's just me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Small Dealer said:
So the car was not advertised as having been built with the optional air conditioning. You comfirm that by talking about the eBay listing. You don't indicate that the dealership mislead you to believe it had the optional air conditioning. You are basing the complaint on the assumption that a sales person in New York would know some one registering a car in Arizona would require the optional air conditioning. Require it to the point of not buying a car that didn't have it.




And you fault the dealership for not taking back a damaged car. Stranger still, you allow more damage to occur.


As you say this is a cautionary tale, just not the way you mean it to read.

I agree with SD on this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
Interesting, there's a black #129 for sale on ebay right now. I wonder if it's the same car. It's listed as located in NY near Rochester, not NJ and there's no mention of any water leaks or dings. Says "mint condition"

ebay #129
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jimbo said:
This sounds like an unfortunate misunderstanding. Can't the dealer install AC after the fact? I know this is inferior to the factory installed unit, but I would think it would be an option.
Unfortunately, I'm told that this cannot be done. I am also told that even if it could be done it would cost many thousands of dollars to retrofit A/C now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hyzer said:
Interesting, there's a black #129 for sale on ebay right now. I wonder if it's the same car. It's listed as located in NY near Rochester, not NJ and there's no mention of any water leaks or dings. Says "mint condition"

ebay #129
Yes, I'm sure this is the car. Joseph Neri is located in Williamson, NY. I don't know how the car ended up leaking water into the luggage area inasmuch as I'm in Arizona at the moment and I've only been told secondhand that this occurrred. Sounds to me like a factory flaw. Guess other owners may have some opinion on whether this potential issue is more widespread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahhhhgressive said:
Caveat Emptor...sorry no sympathy here!
Thank you. And the next time a car dealer f**ks you over, I'm sure some kind soul will be right there to p*ss on your head too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Is there any way to notify the guy that put a bid in on the car that it is slightly damaged? maybe send him an e-mail with a link to this thread? I'd do it but my computer skills are limited. Iv'e bought and sold cars on e-bay and it's always been a positive experience. The seller could have been honest and listed the minor defects and still EASILY sold the car and still made a little extra.

Disgusting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ntouched said:
Hope all works out for you! I am curious about the acorn dings. Is the car parked under a tree? Did you consider a car cover? This entire ordeal should be a lesson learned for all forum members. Don't get too impulsive on buying from anyone at anytime. Sorry you didn't get what you wanted. Hope everyone that reads this thread avoids this dealer and any dealer that does business this way. :cuss:
Thank you. I intend to deal with this Pontiac store such that they will think twice before screwing someone over like this ever again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
I don't understand how it can be on ebay if you bought the car and the dealer wont take it back. You would be the only one that can sell it. Has the dealer taken it off you hands and if so what is the problem?
 
1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Top