Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
rest easy knowing that i'll be putting some red loctite on 'em when i replace my rotors before the season starts :)
actually, maybe you can do it when all my Z0K parts come in soon and we start wrenching everything on :D
Fine, I'll do it. :cuss:

·
Registered
4 Posts
First one was discovered a week ago when I took the car in for an alignmnent and to correct an ABS warning, service traction control and service ESC warning. The tech did a scan which indicated to check the left front sensor. Checking the sensor it popped out of the hub into his hand. They didn't have one on hand, so he glued it back in with some weatherstripping cement temporarily until they could order a new one.
I auto-x my car pretty regularly and have suffered the same issue with my hub bolts. The problem I'm having is that my wheel speed sensor fell out as a result of the free play due to the bolts backing out "threw ABS, ESC, Traction codes". They cleared themselves after I set the sensor back into the hub, but I'm interested to know how GM is "bonding" these sensors back into the hubs they've fallen out of. I went ahead and loctited the hub bolts and torqued them to the manufacturer's 85 lb/ft, so there's no longer any play.

I feel very confident that the sensors and the hubs are NOT a one piece unit. Looking at the design, there's no way the two were welded together from the factory.

So I guess my question is, what should I use to keep that sensor from coming back out again, and is there a specific process to pressing it back into the hub?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I auto-x my car pretty regularly and have suffered the same issue with my hub bolts. The problem I'm having is that my wheel speed sensor fell out as a result of the free play due to the bolts backing out "threw ABS, ESC, Traction codes". They cleared themselves after I set the sensor back into the hub, but I'm interested to know how GM is "bonding" these sensors back into the hubs they've fallen out of. I went ahead and loctited the hub bolts and torqued them to the manufacturer's 85 lb/ft, so there's no longer any play.

I feel very confident that the sensors and the hubs are NOT a one piece unit. Looking at the design, there's no way the two were welded together from the factory.

So I guess my question is, what should I use to keep that sensor from coming back out again, and is there a specific process to pressing it back into the hub?
i had my hub bolts back out in wendover at the NT in 2010 (ran out of loctite and forgot to do the rears, oops). didn't notice until the same thing happened to me, speed sensor fell out of the hub, abs/tc/esc lights came on and lost the damn tour because of it (constant wheel lockup, exercise in futility). couldn't get it back onto the hub so i put some RTV to keep it somewhat seated. once it comes out, if you could actually press it back on by hand, it's probably done - it will do it in the future if your bolts ever back out again, since it seemed to me to be pressed on at the factory and not intended to be removed. you could probably use some high temp epoxy, but i wouldn't trust it. in the end, i found a junkyard solstice hub w/ sensor for $30 locally, so it was a no brainer to just replace the assembly.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Both my RF and LF hub bolts were very loose. My mechanic said my LF wheel was close to coming off.... ABS light didn't come on until a week ago.

Edit: PS: I don't autocross or go on the track.....

·
Registered
399 Posts
FWIW since my dealer locktited my hub bolts 2 years ago they have not loosened up at all so I consider it pretty much a permanent fix (not that I don't check them now and then!).

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I agree to loctite the hub bolts, we had a front right hub (non-loctited) loosen and loose a bolt at Road America last October, nothing like a 135+mph vibration braking into turn 5!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Dredging up an old thread to report that I had a front knuckle to caliper bolt fall out while driving last weekend. The brakes made an awful noise after it happened, but I'd been over some gravel on the road and thought the sound of the bolt clanging against the undercarriage was a rock and the brake sound was something between the caliper and the pad. It wasn't until I backed up and the caliper rotated backward on the remaining bottom bolt that I realized what had happened.

I was fortunate to be with a group near a NAPA who had a standard bolt that I used to temp it together. Once I have replacements I'm going to back out, Loctite, and re-torque all 20 bolts on the hubs.

·
Super Moderator
7,293 Posts
Dredging up an old thread to report that I had a front knuckle to caliper bolt fall out while driving last weekend. The brakes made an awful noise after it happened, but I'd been over some gravel on the road and thought the sound of the bolt clanging against the undercarriage was a rock and the brake sound was something between the caliper and the pad. It wasn't until I backed up and the caliper rotated backward on the remaining bottom bolt that I realized what had happened.

I was fortunate to be with a group near a NAPA who had a standard bolt that I used to temp it together. Once I have replacements I'm going to back out, Loctite, and re-torque all 20 bolts on the hubs.
Thanks. I guess we should add those to the hub bolts as something to check periodically.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts