Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There has been quite a lot of threads regarding options for lowering, all of which I was watching closely to help with my decision. I finally went with the B&Gs despite not finding much of anything for reviews or pictures on a solstice or sky.

The drop is perfect IMO and isn't too drastic where the car becomes unusable as a daily driver. I went for a quick drive after install and about 25 miles later on and was very impressed with the ride quality. They do not feel overly harsh or bouncy compared to stock and my initial impressions are nothing but positive. I will probably post pictures tomorrow after my new exhaust tips are installed.

I have an alignment scheduled for Thursday, so before I go are there any suggestions for specs? I have been researching this extensively and came up with this http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f48/z0k-alignment-specs-52299/,but am looking for opinions as I'm not familiar with what setup is preferred on the kappas. My car is daily driven and is not used for racing or autox, just spirited driving, so I wasn't sure if this alignment would work for daily use, tirewear etc.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
If you're not looking for lap-times anything in the alignment conversations would work, that thread sounds fine. Personally, I prefer the feel of an aggressive alignment on these cars since they really do tend to push.

My favorite was the autox thread and I run that on the street too because I feel it doesn't affect tire wear that much.

On my daily I run:
F:-2.3 | as much caster as possible
R: -1.5 | don't touch caster as I never had the tool
0 toe

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I grabbed a few quick pictures before it got dark just to show what these springs get you. After more driving today I am still very pleased with the ride and performance of the springs. Of course I don't have any hard evidence to support the performance, however I have driven the car hard enough to understand its limits and with the springs it definitely provides more confidence in corners and exhibits less body roll, not that there was tons to begin with.

I plan to take better pictures soon just to have for myself, as I enjoy seeing the progressions of my cars. Possibly tomorrow after I have the new 4.5" exhaust tips installed.

Before: Monster truck

After:

Before:

After:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have always said that I could never get tired of looking at the Solstice, and seeing one with lowering springs only makes it harder to look away. This is a mod that I plan on having done to my sol as well, love the aggressive stance. The car looks bad-ass. :thumbs:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the compliment! I agree, it never gets old seeing these cars. I always find myself looking back as I walk away. The springs really changed the whole attitude of the car and it appears much more aggressive with the new stance. I just about cringe when I see the amount of wheel gap present in the old pictures with the stock setup and that is even with the slightly lower height than the N/A factory suspension. If lowering is something you plan to do I would highly recommended the B&Gs. I always thought the Sol drove very well and smooth and these springs do not diminish that quality.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Looks awesome silverfox90! How much did you drop it?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Looks awesome silverfox90! How much did you drop it?
Thank you! According to B&G the drop is 1.75" front and rear, which is exactly what I measured after they have settled since the install. This would really set off your new TSW wheels very nicely! :devil: I know you were concerned with driving around some of the roads, but this drop is really manageable and I daily drive my car. Where I live has also been undergoing road construction for the past 7 years, so conditions can be less than ideal. The only part that has the potential to scrape is the plastic air deflector underneath, but the front bumper/splitter still has plenty of clearance.

I'm interested in more opinions about alignment as well. Where it stands now I'll probably go with the Z0K specs unless someone can tip me in another direction. Again I'm not looking for track performance or even autox, the car is just daily driven, but I do enjoy spirited driving.

Specs I'm considering:

Front:

Camber: -1.75 +/- .75 deg.
Caster: 7.75 +/- .75 deg.
Toe: .10 +/- .2 deg.

Rear:

Camber: -1.5 +/- .75 deg
Caster: -4.0 +/- .5 deg

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick update with some pictures I took a few weeks after the install. I am still very happy with this mod and the ride/handling is as I would have hoped. I would not hesitate to recommend the B&G springs to anyone looking to enhance the stance of the car while still maintaing a composed ride.

Interior shot, I have since rid the cabin of the chrome.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
All I can say from the pics is that ride height is as close to perfect as perfect can be. Very nice looking ride.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Do some measurements. How many inches from floor to the wheel well, above the tire. Looks great! (THUMBS UP)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! Measurements from level ground to middle of fender are: 27" rear and 26 7/8". It sits almost even, but maintains just enough rake.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Are you going to remove the splash guards, or perhaps trim them?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Believe it or not, I actually installed them after lowering the car. I got tired of the water spots and splashes up the sides of the doors and the rocks blasting the lower rockers. I was concerned with scraping the splash guards everywhere and considered trimming them, but decided to try them out first because I didn't see any way to make the cuts look clean. I have had no problems with any of the roads I drive, even over bumps or dips, however I do avoid speed bumps. The closest spot is backing out of my driveway, but I just go slowly at an angle.

·
Registered
848 Posts
You might look into the clear rocker tape. I removed our splash guards since they had been chewed some on the bottom from the prior owner, but we also have the protective tape, and the car isn't a DD. I just figured you'd have issues for sure being that much lower.

·
Registered
848 Posts
someone had mentioned taking a few measurements to check new ride height....from a front perspective, as a comparison to our stock car:

The little radiator diverter under the front is right about 3" off the ground.
The bottom of the front fascia is right about 6" (the fascia part, not the plastic under-protector that the bottom of the IC basically sits on, which is apx. 1" lower still).

So if you got 1.75" lowering front and back, that diverter would be maybe 1.25" off the ground, and the fascia would be about 4.25".

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nice drop but i thought in order to get that 1.7 drop its only with B&G S2 is this what you got?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
someone had mentioned taking a few measurements to check new ride height....from a front perspective, as a comparison to our stock car:

The little radiator diverter under the front is right about 3" off the ground.
The bottom of the front fascia is right about 6" (the fascia part, not the plastic under-protector that the bottom of the IC basically sits on, which is apx. 1" lower still).

So if you got 1.75" lowering front and back, that diverter would be maybe 1.25" off the ground, and the fascia would be about 4.25".
Measurements from the front are: 4.5" for the fascia and 1.5" for the plastic diverter.

Nice drop but i thought in order to get that 1.7 drop its only with B&G S2 is this what you got?
That is correct. The S2s are the only springs B&G offers for the Solstice.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Believe it or not, I actually installed them after lowering the car. I got tired of the water spots and splashes up the sides of the doors and the rocks blasting the lower rockers. I was concerned with scraping the splash guards everywhere and considered trimming them, but decided to try them out first because I didn't see any way to make the cuts look clean. I have had no problems with any of the roads I drive, even over bumps or dips, however I do avoid speed bumps. The closest spot is backing out of my driveway, but I just go slowly at an angle.
I installed the BC coilovers and lowered my GXP about 1" and 1-1/4" in the rear. I had the factory mud flaps installed long before I lowered her. I never thought removing them, but I want the protection. I did consider trimming them shorter, but I just never get around to it. So, every now and then, like before Cars&Coffee or somewhere where I know my car may be looked at, I just use a box cutter knife and trim off the fuzz along the bottom. No big deal.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Thank you! According to B&G the drop is 1.75" front and rear, which is exactly what I measured after they have settled since the install. This would really set off your new TSW wheels very nicely! :devil: I know you were concerned with driving around some of the roads, but this drop is really manageable and I daily drive my car. Where I live has also been undergoing road construction for the past 7 years, so conditions can be less than ideal. The only part that has the potential to scrape is the plastic air deflector underneath, but the front bumper/splitter still has plenty of clearance.

I'm interested in more opinions about alignment as well. Where it stands now I'll probably go with the Z0K specs unless someone can tip me in another direction. Again I'm not looking for track performance or even autox, the car is just daily driven, but I do enjoy spirited driving.

Specs I'm considering:

Front:

Camber: -1.75 +/- .75 deg.
Caster: 7.75 +/- .75 deg.

Rear:

Camber: -1.5 +/- .75 deg
Caster: -4.0 +/- .5 deg
Here the alignment spec I used after installing my BCs.

Camber: Front -1.5,
Rear -1.0;
Caster: Front 8.0, Rear 4.0 (no change from stock);
Toe: Front and Rear - 0

I got these settings from Brentil after doing quite a bit of research back when. I don't see him here any more. I am pleased with the handling and feel, and I have no issue with tire wear. I do not go the track anymore, and no autoX (yet), but I consider myself an aggressive (or 'spirited' as you call it) street driver.

Tires make a BIG difference IMO. The stock Goodyear Eagles suck - even dangerous in some conditions. I replaced them with Bridgestone Portenza RE-01Rs. Great handling, feel, noise, and IMO, looks. Best tires I've ever owned (if not a bit short on tire life.) Too bad they are no longer available. I replaced those with Michelin Pilot Super Sport. They're on the good side of OK, but not great. I will likely not buy them again.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I installed the BC coilovers and lowered my GXP about 1" and 1-1/4" in the rear. I had the factory mud flaps installed long before I lowered her. I never thought removing them, but I want the protection. I did consider trimming them shorter, but I just never get around to it. So, every now and then, like before Cars&Coffee or somewhere where I know my car may be looked at, I just use a box cutter knife and trim off the fuzz along the bottom. No big deal.
Did either of you add some thin foam with sticky backing between the paint and these guards? The longer they are on, the more they will rub your paint, you may not like the results if you ever do take them off.

Here the alignment spec I used after installing my BCs.

Camber: Front -1.5,
Rear -1.0;
Caster: Front 8.0, Rear 4.0 (no change from stock);
Toe: Front and Rear - 0

I got these settings from Brentil after doing quite a bit of research back when. I don't see him here any more. I am pleased with the handling and feel, and I have no issue with tire wear. I do not go the track anymore, and no autoX (yet), but I consider myself an aggressive (or 'spirited' as you call it) street driver.

Tires make a BIG difference IMO. The stock Goodyear Eagles suck - even dangerous in some conditions. I replaced them with Bridgestone Portenza RE-01Rs. Great handling, feel, noise, and IMO, looks. Best tires I've ever owned (if not a bit short on tire life.) Too bad they are no longer available. I replaced those with Michelin Pilot Super Sport. They're on the good side of OK, but not great. I will likely not buy them again.
Wow, that puts you in the minority, the reviews these tires get, and they should as they are not cheap, they are tops. They are the 1 tire that is at the top of my list to replace the stock Goodyear F1 gs2.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts