Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Brentil notes in the 'windshield surround' thread, we seem to be seeing more and more of the 'big' babyarms, raising the question of what exactly will be on the production version.

Here are links to the two types.

Big and ugly:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=362&sort=2&cat=3021&page=4

Small and pretty:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=245&sort=2&cat=3022&page=5

The question is, is the black solstice at Detroit 2005 the closest to production version? Or was it just an experiment?

After seeing the Solstice in person with the big ones, I can say that they aren't as bad as the photos make them seem, but I'd still greatly prefer the smaller ones.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Remember it's probably the same 2 or 3 show cars running around to all the shows so a few of them may be of older vintage. The black one from NAIAS could be the newest so hopefully that's what we'll see.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
mceb said:
Remember it's probably the same 2 or 3 show cars running around to all the shows so a few of them may be of older vintage. The black one from NAIAS could be the newest so hopefully that's what we'll see.
...I was watching a tv program on a couple of weeks ago and it mentioned that the black solstice was the closest to production yet. "we had to be very careful with it because it was just fresh off the line..." But the thing is, is that the silver new york auto show solstice would be the final production version because I think the NYCAS is the last major auto show before the mid-may to early june start up.

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
After seeing these in person, they really don't look that bad. I had to go back to the pictures I took at the KC auto show to really look at them. In person, I really didn't notice them. Having had several convertibles, I know how annoying water leaks can be. It looks like these rubber pieces are necessary to make a good seal between the windshield and the roof. If you are going to spent this kind of money, you want to keep it nice as long as you can, and keeping out the water will definitely help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
slowandlow said:
it could be a angle thing too. different angles and different distances.
Don't think so. There are two specificly different baby arms styles we've seen. These ones on the Silver Solstice are of the design that we initially saw and dubbed the larger uglier babyy arms. The nicer ones we're smaller and more upswept. They blended in better and didn't protrude as far.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
After riding in the Miata and Z3 I think part of the reason they exist is because they windshield in the Solstice is rounded all the way around. Where as with the wo previous cars I mentioned the windshield is very square with little side windows on either side. I reallythink this will heap greatly though with the view of the road from inside the Solstice compared to other cars with smaller square windshields that permit better roof sealing.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I really don't think they look bad at all.

...and I would much rather NOT deal with leaks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looking at the silver sol w/ the blond woman in it, she is probably as thin as a twig. Does it seem like the car adds some weight to her with sitting position? Reason I ask is that I'm not the thinnest pretzel in the box. If it adds 20 lbs to her, it'll add more than 50 to me ;)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
dylan01 said:
here are my 2 cents...
I personally would rather have big baby arms then have water leaks!
Oh, I agree. I just wish it could have looked more concelled. I've still got my pre-order, and I don't plan on changing that. :D

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
If the baby arms are the worst defect in the styling of the car, we're doing pretty good. Personaly, I'm more annoyed at the lame antenna. :(

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I overheard the driver talking to someone that the NY car is the same one that's been around the car show circuit. He even mentioned it had no top he thought.

By my count there are 3 show cars floating around:

1) Grey with ebony interior. Might be the oldest of them because I'm not sure it's the production grey or not. Seems to be making the rounds at some of the smaller and medium sized shows. Doesn't have XM antenna.

2) Silver with 2 tone interior. I think showed up at LA in Jan. and now NYC. Silver is probably production and the interior appear to be correct colors. Has XM antenna.

3) Black one has been seen at big shows in midwest only so far. Has XM antenna.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
AeroDave said:
If the baby arms are the worst defect in the styling of the car, we're doing pretty good. Personaly, I'm more annoyed at the lame antenna. :(
At least you can replace the antena with a smaller one if you want, or probably even pay the money to have a power one installed.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
The car that was shown in Orlando THanksgiving weekend was Sly-deep silver with the tan/grey interior. It was beautiful and made me decide on buying the same color and interior combination.

·
Premium Member
10,364 Posts
mceb said:
I overheard the driver talking to someone that the NY car is the same one that's been around the car show circuit. He even mentioned it had no top he thought.

By my count there are 3 show cars floating around:

1) Grey with ebony interior. Might be the oldest of them because I'm not sure it's the production grey or not. Seems to be making the rounds at some of the smaller and medium sized shows. Doesn't have XM antenna.

2) Silver with 2 tone interior. I think showed up at LA in Jan. and now NYC. Silver is probably production and the interior appear to be correct colors. Has XM antenna.

3) Black one has been seen at big shows in midwest only so far. Has XM antenna.
At the Fort Lauderdale Auto Show on March 16th-20th there was a Gray one with the two tone interior and XM antena, it look close to production and it also had the larger Baby Arms.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Zavean said:
The car that was shown in Orlando THanksgiving weekend was Sly-deep silver with the tan/grey interior. It was beautiful and made me decide on buying the same color and interior combination.
Actually the one at OIAS wasn't Sly. That's a special color specifically designed for the early show cars. It's supposedly a varient of a BMW color with some blue added into it. If you want to see what Sly really looks like you can go to a Cady dealership. The color on the CTS called "Dark Tarnished Silver Metallic Clearcoat" is the same as Sly. Also Cool on the CTS is called "Light Tarnished Silver Metallic Clearcoat" if you want to compare the two.

::EDIT::
I just went and looked, they've changed color names for 2005, and color options. Sly is now "Silver Smoke" on the CTS, and Cool is now "Light Platinum."

1 - 20 of 43 Posts