Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New guy here. My name is Dan and I am a salesman for Pontiac. Today I participated in the Ride and Drive for the greater Chicagoland area. The program was setup for the Solstice and the Torent SUV. Lemme tell ya, when I pulled up and I saw the row of Solstices waiting to be driven around town, I made a small squeak of a sound as my face turned into pure happiness. However, I looked passed them and towards the back of the building and into the parking lot and saw a coned of course. "Oh baby!" I screamed out as I stood there by myself. After signing up and getting a bagel and some juice, I got my schedule. Awesome, my group was setup to do closed course test drives as our first "activity". Walk outside and waiting for us were four cars. A silver Solstice was the lead car in the loading area. Next was a white Miata of the 05' year. Another Solstice followed that one, but it had leather and was black. The last car stood there and glistened in the sun. A black 05' S2000 waited for its flogging around the tight track of "S" turns. After a small talking from the course supervisor, everyone paired up and got ready to rock and roll. Me being alone at the event I waited for the first few couples to go so I could watch the track. The track starts out as a straightaway which is just long enough to screach out a second gear shift. After the second gear shift you have to immediately start to brake to stop for a stop sign, so you can get a sense of the braking. This leads to the "S" turns, a long right hander, the slalom, a 90* bend(watch for the ass to kick out here), and finally a couple of speed bumps to feel the chasis on uneven road conditions. First car available, the Miata. I open the door and... uumm... wait... no... scratch that. At 6'5 I could not fit in this thing, well enough to actually use the clutch. Reviews on the Miata was that it was easy to toss around, but the rear end being so light it wanted to whip out on everone that drove it. Suddenly, I hear a screech and look up to see a couple cones get killed by the S2k. Next available car is the silver Solstice. I hop in, start her up and am kinda dissapointed in the exhaust note. Eh, no problem I say to myself thinking back when Mr. GMsuitguy said these cars are pre-production mules. First things first, the clutch and the throw on the trans were great. Clutch was not spongey, but not too much of a leg workout. The throw was great. A flick of the wrist and a small click and you were in gear. Pull up to the staging line and get ready to take a nice brisk launch. This vehicle was equipped with the LSD, or so we were told. I wanted to find out. :) Give some revs to the engine and get the ok from the flagger. Let out the clutch quickly as gas is applied and with a small screech the little bugger takes off. Power comes on well then seems to stumble around 3k then gets moving again. Not sure why it stumbles, but it was also shown on the dyno graphs at the presentation. Anyways, second is coming up. Make a nice crisp 2nd gear shift at 6.5k and let out a nice bark. Lay into the brakes for the stop. Brakes are incredible. This car has the same brakes as the G6 and that stops well. Now in a car 800lbs less they totally kick ass. I stopped well before the stopping point. I get the car rolling again and head to the "S" turns. Car felt good here. It felt "right". Zero body roll and at the limit just a hint of understeer. Back end stayed where it was suppose to, pushing me around. Slalom goes flying by like it wasn't there and I could have gone much fast threw it. Make the long left into the speed bumps and get alittle disappointed. "Rattle bang boom" as it rolls over the bumps. Alot of noise, but the Suit says it is because it is just a mule. Fair enough. Pull her back into the loading area to find the S2k is gone. Clutch did not like the last few drivers so it had to sit out since the clutch was toasted. "Drat!" Overall, closed course, this car belongs inbetween cones or on a track. It is a true driver's car. On the street, the car got so many looks. Quiet on the highway. Awesome sound stereo with the upgraded system with the subwoofer. I drove one with the two tone leather. Anyone who preordered one of those will be very pleased with the look. I liked it more than the plain interior. People, in closing, this will go down as one of my best days ever. I experienced the Solstice and it was good.

Pics...
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo01/9c/ca/82cbb2042651.jpg?_rh=7ez1j3c4o1cj96q1mehl7srhg
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo05/41/92/01ce2e744b72.jpg?_rh=6rpypy85p649pjek06sddnfkz
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo04/ab/74/0205145436d0.jpg?_rh=8fwi2gtgk494km2blfdx6ro3q
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo02/4c/0d/4e3de3f53f81.jpg?_rh=9uygv55foryyaa08lzpymdrm4
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo02/db/00/1634b826eceb.jpg?_rh=4qwwrdyib4vda0gidjbbxttdr
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo05/29/c5/bc42610293e3.jpg?_rh=c9spyn1bvh9w8bfjn4hgqexlh
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo07/31/76/6a09f86d8660.jpg?_rh=apabmhih8j41w7u6ysh2e9d2k

P.S. From the sources at the event, official production started Friday. Should have the first 1000 in the next few weeks.

P.S.S. All of the Solstices I drove today will be cubes in a couple of weeks. :(

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sounds good, I found some roads near by that my Sunfire could barely handle, loads of down and up hill S turns to try out that "go kart" handling :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
The picture of the Miata and the Solstice shows there is no comparison between the two when it comes to looks. The miata looks like a wannabe.

When they say the first 1K will be out in a few weeks what are they calling a few weeks? Is that 3 or 9 weeks.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Silver still my choice

Thanks for the pictures of the Silver sitting in the sunlight. Your were driving my choice, Silver with two-tone. :)

Your comment on the cars being cubes is sad. Not sure why they can't have a new life as track cars. :nono:

·
Registered
59 Posts
ateam_77 said:
The picture of the Miata and the Solstice shows there is no comparison between the two when it comes to looks. The miata looks like a wannabe.
I'm a Solstice and a GM fan, but I'm going to have to stick up for the Miata. The Miata's shape is excellent. Its visual impact is dated, to be sure, 7 years in a body is a long time. But the fender curves are excellent, the ducktail hump is classy (unlike the Z4), and the 2001+ facia is sporty, yet elegant and fits the car. The stubby 1999-2000 facia doesn't look too fresh today, however.

Now, start with the add-on tupperware ground effects and all that goes out the window. Like a 2005 Cavalier with body cladding and obvious "updates" that only make the car look aged and sad. But the basic Miata shape, like the Jaguar E-Type shape it closely resembles is timeless.

In comparison to the Solstice, well, it looks lithe and sinuey. Not athletic or hunched, but stately and laid-back. The Solstice looks ready to pounce, purposeful, and direct. Unlike anything else, but evockative of the past with head farings and a long, round nose.

Now the new MX-5, that looks, well, as a Miata fan I hate to say it, but it looks homely. The facia is angry, the tail is ricey and nondescript. The profile is generic roadster, with no hint of aggression, style, or purpose. It really is a failure when placed next to its predecessors, to say nothing of its competitors.

Tony

·
Registered
753 Posts
thanks for the silver pictures. that's my color. the last shot where it's sitting behind the miata really shows off the solstice well. as far as a pleasing form, there is no comparing the solstice to the 1st or 2nd generation miata in my eye. and the pictures i've seen of the new miata make it look a little weird.......... the new mx5 may look better in 3 dimensions than in pictures- i can attest that the solstice in fact does as i've seen pictures and i've seen the car a few times. most pictures do not do the solstice justice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Former 2 Time Miata Owner

Isn't life great? A brand new geration Miata! and a brand new model from Detroit - Solstice! (and Sky) Both will be welcomed here in the USA. I have owned Genreation 1 and 2 Miatas - and a variety of other sports cars, sport utes, motorcycles... and the Miata has no equal for the niche it was designed to fill. Now, finally, an American car maker understands that niche and is making a great atttempt to fill it as well. Why do you thin the Miata has won "10 Best" honors year after year after year?

I look forward to the "bar" being raised and more competition in this very nice "true" sports care niche.

Now for some reality checks - both of these cars are going to cost about $25K out the door or more. In case anyone has lost track - that is a LOT OF MONEY!

At the risk of alientating everyone on this forum, I vote for less expensive, more basic vehicles which emphasize driving pleasure. I dont understand why similar vehicles can't be made and sold with all the basic bells and whistles for less than $20K. I hope the Koreans are paying attention! Believe it or not, Detroit's unions and their members medical benefits are what makes these cars cost $25K rather than $20K!

I am also amused by the incessant discussions of "I want more power". Despite your misconceptions, you dont need all the power you speak about - and the auto companies constant increase in vehicle power is doing real harm to our energy independence. I have had more pleasure driving my 115 HP generation 1 Miata than I have had driving my 350 HP Corvette!

Now let me have it!

·
Registered
533 Posts
funkywinkerbean said:
.... I am also amused by the incessant discussions of "I want more power". Despite your misconceptions, you dont need all the power you speak about - and the auto companies constant increase in vehicle power is doing real harm to our energy independence. I have had more pleasure driving my 115 HP generation 1 Miata than I have had driving my 350 HP Corvette!

Now let me have it!
I used to be of the mind set that you can never have too much power in a sports car. Lately I found that I'd rather have a lower powered car that I could push harder, so I understand where you're coming from. Handling and agility are now higher priorities for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys. With all these new roadsters coming out the public can only benefit with the car companies competing. Enjoy the motoring.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
funkywinkerbean said:
...I hope the Koreans are paying attention! Believe it or not, Detroit's unions and their members medical benefits are what makes these cars cost $25K rather than $20K!
God forbid anyone in this country earn a decent living...

Don't know what you do for a living, but I'll bet you'd sing a different tune if there were a Billiion Chinese, Indians, Koreans,... ready to do your job for a tenth of what you're paid.

remember - you asked for it :devil:

·
4,592 Posts
:agree: I'll second what kiljoy, funkywinkerbean, and tcl said!

Now, on the other hand, funkywinkerbean, that's a member name that might take a few shots :glol: What the heck does that mean (if you don't mind sharing!

Now, let's give it some fair competition, the MSM!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts