Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was notified last Friday (June 17) that Solstice production has been ONCE AGAIN pushed back until mid August. First, production was to begin on May 16, then pushed back until June 20, now mid-august! what is GM trying to do here! No wonder why market share has dropped. I was notified by a personnel who works in Distribution about this issue. I was soo angry. So what is going to happen is that people with the EOP orders will be getting their cars in the fall, and the rest of us who have regular allocation orders will be receiveing them any where between November 2005 and February 2006. WINTER TIME. I think what we all (Candians) should do is cancel our orders and re-order in February, so we will receive them in the spring. There is no point of us purchasing a car and having it sit in our garages for three-four months. UNBELIEVABLE GM, YOU GUYS SHOULD BE REAL PROUD OF YOUR SELVES!.. well it is good that they are trying to ge the product perfect, but a summer delievery was promised you know!

...unpatiently waiting

·
Registered
460 Posts
dylan01 said:
I was notified last Friday (June 17) that Solstice production has been ONCE AGAIN pushed back until mid August. First, production was to begin on May 16, then pushed back until June 20, now mid-august! what is GM trying to do here! No wonder why market share has dropped. I was notified by a personnel who works in Distribution about this issue. I was soo angry. So what is going to happen is that people with the EOP orders will be getting their cars in the fall, and the rest of us who have regular allocation orders will be receiveing them any where between November 2005 and February 2006. WINTER TIME. I think what we all (Candians) should do is cancel our orders and re-order in February, so we will receive them in the spring. There is no point of us purchasing a car and having it sit in our garages for three-four months. UNBELIEVABLE GM, YOU GUYS SHOULD BE REAL PROUD OF YOUR SELVES!.. well it is good that they are trying to ge the product perfect, but a summer delievery was promised you know!

...unpatiently waiting
Just mabe there telling you that so you won't call them again for a while ????? :( Justs a wishfull thought

·
Registered
100 Posts
dylan01 said:

...unpatiently waiting
Is this general production or for those in Canada? Is there a difference?

·
Registered
139 Posts
well they're all being built in one place... so they're all going to be pushed back. lots of people are going to be cancelling orders. he's right. why would someone take delivery just to have it depreciate in their garage for four months when they can just buy one to be delivered next spring???

·
Registered
350 Posts
godspeed06 said:
well they're all being built in one place... so they're all going to be pushed back. lots of people are going to be cancelling orders. he's right. why would someone take delivery just to have it depreciate in their garage for four months when they can just buy one to be delivered next spring???

Maybe a dealer in the US could give some information here. This makes sense. First 1000 would be produced from July to August and then after that regular allocation would begin production. Maybe isn't anything different from what we already know.

Of course correct me if I am wrong or misunderstood.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
Maybe a dealer in the US could give some information here. This makes sense. First 1000 would be produced from July to August and then after that regular allocation would begin production. Maybe isn't anything different from what we already know.

Of course correct me if I am wrong or misunderstood.
I'm with you Sol'Desire... it makes sense that 1st 1000 are priority, THEN the rest of the orders filled as soon as possible.

dylan01 - sounds like you get the shaft due to location (either 'cause you had no opportunity to participate in the Apprentice thing... or 'cause they may make cars for US first).

Again - we'll know when it happens - not before. 'Til then, every tidbit of info is just another "interpretation". Even among my automotive industry contacts there is a TON of variance in anticipated production start.

HOWEVER, every one of them has said something that supports Lori Queen's blog - the first 1000 are indeed first...

At intended line rate (IIRC from Delaware article, 7/hour) it would take about 2 weeks to make that first 1000. But since they are starting up, it could take up to 4 or 5 times as long to make the first 1000 (none of us know what the acceleration schedule looks like) - maybe more if there are other production problems.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to the questions

The delay is for US and Canada.
I know some people in GM, and they let me know some info, thats how I was able to find out. I didn't phone or write in.
Solsticeman- I didnt really get shafted...we all did! LOL
so production has been pushed back until mid-august for EOP and Regular Allocation units...What a bummer. But hey, think on the bright side; we will be receiving good, quality products when we take delivery- not lemons.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I am sorry Dylan, but I cannot go by what you say or have heard. I will stay with the "not knowing" phase until I hear official word from GM. No offense I hope, just being realistic.

And so what if it sits in storage for a few month (6 or more here), at least the wait will be over and I can assure myself to be driving one come clear roads again.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Excelsior said:
I am sorry Dylan, but I cannot go by what you say or have heard. I will stay with the "not knowing" phase until I hear official word from GM. No offense I hope, just being realistic.
I'm with you. This is just one source and I'd need confirmation from more sources. No offense to Dylan's source but lots of info is floating around and things are probably in a state of flux, changing from day to day.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Boy oh boy. Even with global warming I'd be really bummed out getting a car with no season left to drive it in. :cryin:

I would probably have to bring more heaters in the garage, make hot cocoa, and worry about the tight fit in the seat with that ski jacket on if I got delivery late. My wife is sure gonna think Im really nuts this time for sitting out in the garage with the car this winter. :lol:

On the bright side, it would give me time to work on it and do mods. :yesnod:

Oh well, guess Ill stick my head in the ground and hope all these rumors dont turn out to be true. These ups and downs are wearing me out.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
bad news

When you took the 1000 car if you read the rules it said delivery could be 180 days. (Thats 6 months ) 6 months from april 15 is oct. 15. I'm sure you will have your car by then. (180 days/october 15)Or cancel, then everyone will get them sooner if enough people do that.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Everyone can take delivery of their vehicles in Florida, drive them awhile and put them in storage until the thaw hits your area. :lol:

Waiting and getting a quality product is what all this is about. Hang in there!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Why is everyone so anti-Winter? I mean it's still a car so you'll be able to drive it in the Winter, just not experiencing it at it's fullest.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
dylan01 said:
so production has been pushed back until mid-august for EOP and Regular Allocation units...What a bummer. But hey, think on the bright side; we will be receiving good, quality products when we take delivery- not lemons.
I'm glad to see you're keeping your spirits up.

It's a new vehicle launch, one of the quickest since the Viper, so production uncertainty is an absolute certainty. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

I appreciate your frustration, but think about it this way: having it in the garage means that you can take it out on the first clear day with clear roads and taunt the Spring Sun! You're friends will be drooling over it all the more since your Solstice will be the first visible sign of summer. :cool: Sure, it is sub optimal to have the car delivered later, but think of it as being delivered very early for the 2006 calendar year. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
A few will cancel, most will wait it out...

godspeed06 said:
well they're all being built in one place... so they're all going to be pushed back. Lots of people are going to be canceling orders. He’s right. Why would someone take delivery just to have it depreciate in their garage for four months when they can just buy one to be delivered next spring???
There will be a few who cancel. We've had a few, but the polls have been rather more optimistic: The vast majority of folks who responded to these polls said they would wait as long as it takes.

Now, this is admittedly a self-selected sample of those who are enthusiastic enough to join an on-line forum and talk about a car that hasn't even started retail production yet, so the percentages might be increased upward, but lets look at why that might not be for the majority of folks NOT on this forum.

Many of the folks who have placed orders with their Pontiac dealers only found out about the car on 2005-04-15. Yes, some will have seen the Solstice at various auto shows during 2004 and early 2005, but let's look closely at their time horizons. They've only recently found out about the car, so they're tolerance for a later arrival is increased because they haven't been figuratively "standing in line" for two or three years. So, for someone who just joined the waiting lists, they will be willing to wait a bit longer simply because they haven't waited very long to date. Further, to them, many were told that the cars would be delivered in the 4th calendar quarter anyway, so it's still business as usual.

Now contrast this with the folks on the forum. Many forum members have known about the machine for a much longer time. To use the movie theater line analogy again, they've been figuratively "standing in line" for a much longer time and "their feet are sore". The result? A few very unhappy folks with sore feet for whom the 4th quarter delivery is beyond their tolerance.

Will they drop off? Sure, but Pontiac has to look at it the same way that JPL does... What's the Jet Propulsion Lab got to do with the Solstice? Simple, JPL is a great place to be from. They pay low salaries because they can: there's a whole line of engineers who grew up wanting to be astronauts and rocket scientists just waiting for a chance to work at the Lab should someone leave, and they are willing to accept low wages to be part of the Lab.

The point is that Pontiac's dealer's waiting lists are still full (many of them extending into the third 4 month allocation regime), and while some folks will drop off due to impatience and other more immediate financial and physical requirements (actually needing a car before the current 4th quarter delivery dates), there will still be a huge list of folks still waiting for a chance to "take their place in line."

On balance, Pontiac has not yet lost market share, and given the long waiting lists, they will easily sell all 20,000 of the 2006 model year cars, so they will not loose market share by that measure either.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If it's any consolation to anyone, when I picked up my 2002 Corvette convertible on December 5, 2001 - it was 70 degrees and sunny. I put the top down and drove it home from the dealer here in SE Michigan. (I think it snowed the following week....). Also, in my youth, I would ride my motorcycles on January 1st every year, it made the wait for the good weather a little more bearable. I will just wait for my Solstice, and I will drive it with the top down from the dealer no matter what the weather is like.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Rogobuck said:
I will just wait for my Solstice, and I will drive it with the top down from the dealer no matter what the weather is like.
OK ... you know you just jinxed yourself there ... you can probably expect freezing rain or a blizzard on the day you pick up your car now that you've said that. :devil:

Back to the topic ... I talked to somebody on Friday afternoon about the launch and got the impression that things were looking good. In fact, I was told they kind of expected to make a decision sometime this week about when final production will begin. That would make me think things are looking good ... I wouldn't think they would be able to nail down a production date unless it was getting pretty close. This is certainly speculative, but that came from somebody closely involved with the EOP. I won't give a name because they were just sharing their personal opinion of the situation with me and I don't want to get anybody in trouble for giving me their own assesment. So definitely take the statement with a grain of salt, since there is no official word. But I think the differing views show that we shouldn't give too much credence to any potential rumors at this point.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts