Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you going to remove? Are you going to add anything?

Those double sticky tape emblems are just waiting for some one to modify them.

Soltice ti

Or???

Just looking at the front of my roll around tool chest, I have a bunch of things to try.

Caballero, Dodge, GMC, Chevrolet, 4.3 Fuel Injection, 4x4, Dodge, 5._, Malibu Classic and I even have an SS Bowtie.

What have you guys and gals got and what's your ideas??

Steve

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I'm just going to ask that dealer not add any of their emblems & stickers. I only allow a plate holder for their free adverts.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Earlier we had a thread about emblem size and whether it should be there or not. I think it was called "Emblem Size" I'm sure it's probably still there and ther were a lot of ideas and photochops about the emblem. I personaly am fine with them the way they are.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Personally, I don't understand the motivation of debadging or rebadging a vehicle.

Like some kid who specs out his Civic Ex to rival an SI and therefore finds it relevant to badge his car as an SI. Or worse, when the same kid just adds an exhast tip and feels the need to rebadge.

Or simply rebadging for no reason... as a Scion owner and frequenting the scionlife.com forums, I've found that some people plan to rebadge their Scion tC as a Lexus, because they feel it has the same build quality. The boxy xB which has existed in japan for a few years as the "Toyota bB" is recieving the same treatment as many xB owners rebadge their Scion emblems with Toyota ones, and add on the bB logo.

Now I'm a big advocate of doing what you want with your car. If you like the tacky looking mirror tint that doesn't quite match your paint color, go for it. If you find it absolutely necessary to have LCD monitors on the flipside of your sunvisors, spend your money on it.

But I guess I just don't see what point is accomplished by ordering a little medal badge off of ebay and sticking it on your car. Just seems like a needless waste to me... and oh yeah, it adds weight, tsk tsk...

Maybe I'll put a little metallic jesus fish on the back, even though I'm not religous. Make that "Jesus Fish Si 4x4".

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I like the badging to be as minimal as possible. I think the lines and the design should tell people what make it is and if they don't know, they'll ask if interested. Though those"SS" markings might be nice, But this is Pontiac so maybe "2+2" 421 might be nice for old times sake :cheers

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I've always preferred the dechromed look, I like to remove badges, not re-badge. I'd like to do away with the pontiac emblem on the nose, but looking at the close ups, it looks like the nose plastic actually rises a little around the emblem, screwing up my plans royally.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I'll be leaving the badging alone as it is put on from the factory. I have no problim advertising the car as a Pontiac Solstice. The only thing I do not tolerate is dealers plopping all kinds of decals and license frames to advertise themselves. I generally let them put the plate frame on and I will take care of it later, but I always ask that they leave their dealer name decale/plate off the car. If I get a used car, I will generally remove it myself unless I am really afraid that the car has faded around it, but so far I have not had that problem.

·
Registered
533 Posts
naoki said:
Personally, I don't understand the motivation of debadging or rebadging a vehicle.
I observed people rebadging ordinary 3 series BMW's with "M" logos to give the illusion of a true BMW M3. In some cases they also added M mirrors, side skirts and wheels to make it look more like the car they are emulating. This can't be the motivation with the Solstice since it has no up market variant.

I have no intension of changing the exterior appearance of the car unless I really dislike the look or weight of the OEM wheels. With the size of today's wheels often being 18" in diameter, they have a significant affect on the look of the vehicle, and can be quite heavy if they are not forged.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
tcl said:
I observed people rebadging ordinary 3 series BMW's with "M" logos to give the illusion of a true BMW M3. In some cases they also added M mirrors, side skirts and wheels to make it look more like the car they are emulating. This can't be the motivation with the Solstice since it has no up market variant.
Hmm, the German equivalent of sticking a Type-R label on everything from regular Integras to Nissan Maximas. :rolleyes I can understand removing the badging on an M series to try and make it a sleeper, but adding M badging? I'll never understand making a car appear to be something it is not. Eventually you have to put up or shut up, and an all show-no go car is just going to be shut up.

·
Registered
535 Posts
naoki said:

Like some kid who specs out his Civic Ex to rival an SI and therefore finds it relevant to badge his car as an SI. Or worse, when the same kid just adds an exhast tip and feels the need to rebadge.

Or simply rebadging for no reason... as a Scion owner and frequenting the scionlife.com forums, I've found that some people plan to rebadge their Scion tC as a Lexus, because they feel it has the same build quality. The boxy xB which has existed in japan for a few years as the "Toyota bB" is recieving the same treatment as many xB owners rebadge their Scion emblems with Toyota ones, and add on the bB logo.

Now I'm a big advocate of doing what you want with your car. If you like the tacky looking mirror tint that doesn't quite match your paint color, go for it. If you find it absolutely necessary to have LCD monitors on the flipside of your sunvisors, spend your money on it.

But I guess I just don't see what point is accomplished by ordering a little medal badge off of ebay and sticking it on your car. Just seems like a needless waste to me... and oh yeah, it adds weight, tsk tsk...

Maybe I'll put a little metallic jesus fish on the back, even though I'm not religous. Make that "Jesus Fish Si 4x4".

I agree with some of your points, but think you are mixing two different concepts here. Taking your base model Civic, 3-series etc.. and rebadging to appear you have a car with more expensive content than you really do is awful. On the other hand, models that I have desired from Asia as an example, (I'm not sure in your Xb case) that finally are released in N.America and are for all intents and purposes the same as their JDM / KDM counter parts except "corporate" felt the need to change names to satisfy what they feel is accepted here, then I can understand.
If the rebadge is to hide/disguise your cars make or to hide you base model then shame on them. If it is to stay true or pay hommage to the cars lineage then fine.
Think of it this way, if you moved to Europe or abroad a bought a new C6 Vette over there that GM decided to call "Chevy Coupe" for this model year, would you leave it or want it rebaged as "Corvette".

·
Registered
533 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Hmm, the German equivalent of sticking a Type-R label on everything from regular Integras to Nissan Maximas. :rolleyes I can understand removing the badging on an M series to try and make it a sleeper, but adding M badging? I'll never understand making a car appear to be something it is not. Eventually you have to put up or shut up, and an all show-no go car is just going to be shut up.
The worst case scenario of debadging and rebadging is when an unsuspecting owner's M3 (Type-R or whatever) is debaged by an individual who intends to rebadge his low end model with the hot mechandise. Unfortunately, it has been known to happen.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have done the steathy thing in '74 with one of the first Mazda Rotary engined PU's on the west cost. Removed the ROTARY vinyl from the tailgate, removed the Rotary Power emblem from the grill, added a tonneau cover, added a sliding back window from a Courier, and cut the labels off of the seat belts, also removed the helper rear springs and put on some low profile (remember '74) tires.

It was a fun drive and I can still remember some folks asking if it was the new IH small PU.

Quick with a 5.44 rear end ratio, but launches were explosive. Nail it, shift when buzzer comes on, repeat!!

Take care-Steve

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
2091351 said:
and cut the labels off of the seat belts,
Just don't cut the labels off the seat cushions or your matress, that's against federal regulations! :lol A 5:44 rear end, that must be going about 5000 RPM at 65mph! Mmmmmmm indeed. When you say "shift when the buzzer comes on" do you mean the engine?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Darkhamr said:
On the other hand, models that I have desired from Asia as an example, (I'm not sure in your Xb case) that finally are released in N.America and are for all intents and purposes the same as their JDM / KDM counter parts except "corporate" felt the need to change names to satisfy what they feel is accepted here, then I can understand.
The xB to bB thing is exactly that, people in pursuit of a JDM makeover. Why not just move?? Hehe, j/k. But seriously, I can understand the need to do that type of conversion, especially if it's tuned better or has more amenities in the other locale (which is often the case).

I know in the Solstice's case, I'll be happy with that giant Pontiac emblem up front.... although my state mandated front license plate will likely cover it up anyway!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Couple of months ago had some kid asked me where I got the "cool ghost SI stickers" on my Honda. Didn't want to tell him they were the original emblems that had faded with age. Just told him they were on the car when I bought it. :smile

Used to car pool with someone who had an seventies Opel GT with Corvette II emblems added. Now understand the origin of blonde jokes. :rolleyes

·
Registered
753 Posts
are the emblems really just stuck on with adhesive? i would take off emblems on anything that i was driving if i thought i could do it without an expensive tript to the body shop to fix the paint or fill in the holes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah, its typically not hard to remove emblems,

You just need to use a blowdryer or heatgun to loosen it up,

Take a screwdriver and wrap it in a microsheer cloth so you dont scratch the paint and wedge it between the emblem and paint.

pry.. and viola, either you just popped off the emblem or ruined your car. Don't yell at me me, I've never actually tried it.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Each emblem is a little different. There are stick on vinyl letters. These you can usually get a finger nail under the corner and just yank them off. Wipe down where they were to remove any sticky residue and your good to go. Some plastic emblems are attached by double sided tape. These you simply "cut" off. Take some dental floss and pull it through between the emblem and the body. Then get some wax, or bug and tar cleaner, something paint safe, and rub the remaining tape off the body. I find Nu Finish (in the orange bottle) is really good for removing this type of thing. Some emblems, like on some Chryslers, are plastic letters that stick directly to the car. I am not sure if the dental floss trick would work, but using the heating method, you should be able to pull them off if you can get under them. I would try just fingernails, or being extremely careful with any other object. I have not seen this type used by GM. Then there is the emblem that is attached by drilling a hole. Some emblems are still attached this way, although I am not sure if GM is using them or not. If they are, they would likely be used only for emblems mounted over plastic, such as the arrowhead on the front bumper. They don't use them in sheet metal anymore because the car will rust where the hole is drilled.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah, like was mentioned, I used fine fishing line behind the emblem and a sawing motion to cut throught the double sided tape. Then I used Goo Gone to remove the adhesive residue. Definitely be aware that many hood and trunk emblems still use locator pins, so you either have to have them filled or replace with another emblem.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts