Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the NCAA has banned the use of Native American nicknames in any post season championship play, can the politically correct groups have Pontiac in their sights? And will they succeed?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Blk37Special said:
Now that the NCAA has banned the use of Native American nicknames in any post season championship play, can the politically correct groups have Pontiac in their sights? And will they succeed?
Nope! The PC crowd is about to get slammed by 21st century conservatives that are sick of their Culture of Victimhood! :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I tell you something, when I heard that today I thought, what next animal rights groups not wanting sports teams using any animal names?
These do gooders have gone off the deep end... Geee can't they concentrate on something in sports that IS a Problem? Like DRUGS.... :brentil:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Why do you think GM wants to make one dealer franchise out of Buick, Pontiac and GMC? Later it will be all rolled into one name.. ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Not to get technical, but...

Actually, Pontiac was a person's name, not a nickname - so it doesn't really fall under the same catagory. Just thought someone should clarify.
(Sorry, don't mean to shoot down yer thread or anything...) :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SD SOL said:
Actually, Pontiac was a person's name, not a nickname - so it doesn't really fall under the same catagory. Just thought someone should clarify.
I thought they were refering to the native american. After all, wasn't there the Pontiac Chieftan?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Colleges (NCAA) getting rid of names that are not PC is a little different than private industry doing it. So far, the major sports teams do not feel too compelled to become politically correct. The Cleveland Indians still proudly display the wah-hoo Indian charatcature, the still do the tomahawk chop in Atlanta for the Braves, and the Redskins are still the Redskins.

Pontiac was the name of an Indian, Chief Pontiac. If we had to change the name of the car division, and the town, we would have to rename half the towns in the country. Just in Western New York, we would be in real trouble since half the towns, creeks, rivers, etc all have names originating from different Iroqouis Indian tribes.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Pontiac did change a while ago it's symbol from the indian chief (see avatar) to the arrowhead, but that was long before the days of being PC
-aj

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Help Rename Canada's Capital

You can add half the towns and cities in Canada, including the capital. Pontiac was chief of the OTTAWA tribe.

For me, being PC, taken too far, is like Newspeak from Orwell's 1984.

Sure some words need to be banned. But the whole PC movement becomes farcical really quickly, and where does it end... see Newspeak reference.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think some of the states would have to change there name also. I think Illinios and Utah are named after indian tribes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
my highscool in Upstate New York, the Irondequoit Indians, had to change to the "Eagles"... sad. :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
Classic66vair said:
I tell you something, when I heard that today I thought, what next animal rights groups not wanting sports teams using any animal names?
These do gooders have gone off the deep end... Geee can't they concentrate on something in sports that IS a Problem? Like DRUGS.... :brentil:
On that note and given the state of affairs in professional sports, I think they should use drug names as team nick names. The San Francisco Juicers seems like a good team for Bary Bonds.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
You can add half the towns and cities in Canada, including the capital. Pontiac was chief of the OTTAWA tribe.

For me, being PC, taken too far, is like Newspeak from Orwell's 1984.

Sure some words need to be banned. But the whole PC movement becomes farcical really quickly, and where does it end... see Newspeak reference.
I agree, the PC thing is going to far. I do understand the sports team issue, and in some ways I feel for Native Americans and such. First inclinations are that it is a negative sterotype. But I have always wondered what made the original team leaders come up with the names they have anyway? Actually, a good team is just that, a team. A real team is well trained, smart, disiplined, are skilled craftsman, have carisma and character, and have a passion for winning. It that light, maybe giving a team a name like "Indians" was originally meant to be a compliment?

But what do you mean by "Some words need to be banned."? Like what? To me it's not words that are bad, it's in the context that they are used. For example, you can't say the word s**t anywhere on TV. You can say crap, poop, dung etc, and you could even say "bloody messy fowl smelling bowel movement." You can say friggin, fraggin, and have movie titles like "Meet the Fockers." But change that 1 letter and some people think the whole world is coming to an end? Many people have become soft and overly sensitive due to the trendy "world owes me something" attitude." There is only one word that I have ever heard that I think is a truely bad word, and you're allowed to say it anytime and any place.........Rape.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
SD SOL said:

Yes, but his full name was CHIEF PONTIAC, a native American Indian, not some French explorer, that's why the Poncho Chieftain tiein
Chief Pontiac was born circa 1720. His father was a member of the Ottawa Indians, and his mother was Chippewa. His family raised Pontiac as an Ottawa, although he had numerous friends among his mother's people.
I thought the same thing last night as Blk37Special, although I won't be sorry to see the ATlanta Braves become Bohunks or anything else that prohibits that disgusting Tommahock Chop.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
dferkler said:
On that note and given the state of affairs in professional sports, I think they should use drug names as team nick names. The San Francisco Juicers seems like a good team for Bary Bonds.
:glol:

I know he's old news, but I used to call D. Strawberry "Straw Up His Nose." Any team he was on could have been called the "Coke Heads" or the "Tooters."

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
As a person with American Indian bloodlines, I'm offended at the removal of Indian symbols. It's part of American history that belongs to eveyone, not Indians. Like I said, the PC crowds days are numbered. We've all had enough.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The one PC story that I found to be really funny was when an intramural basketball team at the University of Northern Colorado that was made of minority players named themselves "The Fighting Whities" when they were unable to get the University to drop thier indian mascot. They made up t-shirts and had a guy wear a costume that looked like Drew Carey.

The real problem arose when it was found that people loved it, they could not make enough t-shirts etc. I believe their comment was that their mascot name did not have the effect that they were wanting.

·
Registered
214 Posts
:lol:paying homage to the Ford plant near Cleveland, the Cleveland Indians will become the Cleveland Engines. :lol:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts