Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys see this Barrett-Jackson classic car auction on Speed channel? Some really nice classic cars but wow the prices are really through the roof (averaging $100,000 per car).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I didn't catch anything today, but I have read about how much some of the cars go for at those auctions. Its amazing what some of the old American musclecars will go for if they are very rare editions in mint condition! Its insane!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
mceb said:
You guys see this Barrett-Jackson classic car auction on Speed channel? Some really nice classic cars but wow the prices are really through the roof (averaging $100,000 per car).
That was a re-run of last year's show. The 2005 show is later this month. Someone here mentioned that the prices are inflated by the bidder's egos. They do have some top flight cars though.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The prices hit $300,000 for some of the exotic European cars. Interesting looking at the people bidding, most look like regular kind of people but must have some serious cash to be collecting these cars.

·
Registered
667 Posts
tcl said:
That was a re-run of last year's show. The 2005 show is later this month. Someone here mentioned that the prices are inflated by the bidder's egos. They do have some top flight cars though.
Yeah, I was confused when I saw that it was on as I thought it was going to be on later in the month. I watched it until I realized it was last years show and I had already seen it. I wish SPEED had done a better job of telling viewers what they were watching. It was cool to see some of the 50's-60's era mussel cars again as well as the Austin Healey Mk3's and British cars of the same period. I bet this years show will be better yet!

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
If they have the cash and obviously they do, its seems to be no big deal. I think the boomers are finally getting what they couldn't before. :party

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
:agree Rule of thumb, "Cars most valued are those that fifty year old geezers (like me) lusted over in high school." Have you noticed that the super cars of the thirties and fifties have fallen in price as that group dies off. Muscle cars are in a weird spot 'cuz there were so few great cars between '72 and the late eighties. That and the buldge in population means there's a lot of guys that would've like to have a Hemi Cuda convertable even if they graduated from HS in '85.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You're right DreamerDave, the muscle cars far and away went for the better prices. I was surprised at how low that one white MK II went for. It wasn't restored but it had been repainted and it went for something like $30,000. No steal to be sure, but those were almost hand built cars in their day.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Chip said:
I know I miss this one from my past. I got it new in 69 for $3680 and change.
I wonder what it would be worth today? Maybe I don't want to know!
Is that a '69 Chevelle SS? Looks like a nice car, and no, you don't want to know how much it could be worth! :D

·
Registered
667 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Is that a '69 Chevelle SS? Looks like a nice car, and no, you don't want to know how much it could be worth! :D
Yeah that's it. It was not the 396/375 HP monster, but a milder 396/350 HP. It would still scoot! I had the side stripes but on right after this picture was taken, but didn't get anymore pictures of it after the stripe job. Too bad it looked nice. That year is still my favorite.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts