Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm looking at a pretty, unmolested base coupe. It's the first one I've ever seen really. So my question is -- are there less base Coupes than there are gxp ones? If so, long term is that a good thing in terms of value?

Thanks gang!

·
Registered
2009 Solstice GXP Coupe
38 Posts
Yes, out of 1266 coupes, 781are GXP’s. There are fewer base models, but certainly not enough to make a difference in terms of collectibility, and the base model vs. GXP performance is night and day. If they had made 10 base models and 1256 GXP coupes, then maybe.

·
Administrator
8,972 Posts
Hey Bill why harder to maintain?
Historically the turbo engines have had more problems than the NA. The water pumps seem more fragile, and there is a lot more to the fuel system. Both are relatively reliable, but the NAs are more so.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,059 Posts
IMHO if you have a gxp you need to make a heat shield for the h20 pump&sorounding aera. not just the hairdryer. I wish my coupe were a gxp.but it aint.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a base coupe that I purchased new. Only one available in my area and it was in the fall so I took what I could get. Two years ago I added a supercharger to it, went that way because I felt it was a better option than a turbocharger even though it was more expensive. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,059 Posts
what kinda gass millage does it get with blower on it?

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I have a base coupe that I purchased new. Only one available in my area and it was in the fall so I took what I could get. Two years ago I added a supercharger to it, went that way because I felt it was a better option than a turbocharger even though it was more expensive. Just my opinion.
What supercharger? The DDM site is now saying the Rotrex SC doesn't fit Kappa's anymore, just the Slingshot, and the MP62 SC kit has been out of production for years. TIA

·
Registered
152 Posts
DDM Rotrex. Recieved it in June of 2019. Gas mileage is always hard to figure being based on how I drive. Funny thing is the DIC read much better than I actually get and in order to start normally when warm I have to hit the throttle pedal at the same time as I turn the key. Have talked to Dave many times on these two issues and he has not been able to help.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you don't need the power then go for the base model. Less stuff in the way when doing repairs, and turbo engines get hot and can burn out faster over the lifetime. I bought this car for looks and handling. I don't need more power.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I think most folks can't tell between a base vs GXP Solstice in general. The external and internal designs are so subtle.
But the driver always know every time he/she presses the gas pedal. One will be "yeah this is great!" and the other "Wheee!!!!!".

·
Administrator
17,159 Posts
The GXP has 260 hp. The na on a good day is 177.

The NA will with normal maintenance go several hundred thousand miles

GXPs are all over the map. Some go for over 100k and some start having problems at 20k miles.

I went with the LS for reliability :)

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
right

NA has 177 HP ( stock )
GXP has 260 HP ( stock )
GXP with GMPP package has 300 HP

My NA coupe with DDM Supercharger has supposedly 275 HP on premium gas
( my story here -> a trip to DDMWORKS )

From a distance, the NA coupe and GXP coupe are both beautiful to look at

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
GXP cars are selling for more $$$ than NA cars

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
298 Posts
[…]
… long term is that a good thing in terms of value?

Thanks gang!
Resale value? No. Sticks & GXPs currently get a premium.

Rare but desirable colors might increase value; some mods will increase or decrease value; low mileage and having fewer owners and all service records will bump it up; but otherwise it’s something like the three factors affecting real estate, though instead of “Location, location, and location”, it’s “Condition, condition, and condition.”

For me, the value is in the driving and ownership experience; I hope I never have to sell my coupe, so I tend to think about its intrinsic value.

If investment/resale is your main goal, a 1-owner loaded stock Deep blue GXP manual coupe with the GMPP tune & less than 10k miles is your holy grail.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
right
NA has 177 HP ( stock )
GXP has 260 HP ( stock )
GXP with GMPP package has 300 HP

My NA coupe with DDM Supercharger has supposedly 275 HP on premium gas
( my story here -> a trip to DDMWORKS )
The GMPP on a Solstice LNF actually gives you 290 bhp and 340 Tq as opposed to 260/260 stock.

The supercharged LE5 gets you into the same ballpark as the LNF although at a small penalty in gas consumption due to the larger displacement.

(FWIW, my LNF is running 375/375 and gets excellent mileage - when I keep my foot out of it).

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,135 Posts
Historically the turbo engines have had more problems than the NA. The water pumps seem more fragile, and there is a lot more to the fuel system. Both are relatively reliable, but the NAs are more so.

the water pump is identical on both the base model and the GXP. Both engines share a lot of the same bits.

The placement of the turbo does cause issues but nothing that can't be taken care of with adding some heat shielding between it and the engine. The HPFP does go bad as the OE design was not that great. These have come down in price quite a bit and are no longer 600.00+ to buy one. They are easy to change as well. You have the carbon issue on the backs of the intake valves, nothing that catch cans doesn't fix.. Everything else is easy and not to expensive to do. Once those things are handled it's gravy train on biscuit wheels to about 80k miles where the turbo may need replacement depending on how the car was driven and taken care of.

I believe the 2.4 has catalyst problems, if it does that's an expensive repair bill if you live in a CARB compliant state.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,135 Posts
If investment/resale is your main goal, a 1-owner loaded stock Deep blue GXP manual coupe with the GMPP tune & less than 10k miles is your holy grail.

I believe the Mean yellow commands a higher premium.

Reactions: marksbug
1 - 20 of 43 Posts