Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
298 Posts
I'm thinking he meant Fresh vs Deep. Fresh was the lowest production color in 2009 for both verts (9 total) and coupes (23 total).
No, I meant Deep. IMHO, low production numbers (tight supply) don’t always increase a car’s desirability (demand).

When production planners decide how many coupes to paint each color, those colors expected to be the most “desirable/saleable” colors are produced in the greater numbers. To figure that stuff out, they look at focus group data, recent new car sales trends, and predictions about future color trends. So:

Unless I missed a citation to a source for average coupe sale price by color—and until I see one—I am likely to continue to “believe” a solid Deep coupe commands a higher sale price than Mean or Fresh (probably because I like Deep waaaaaay more than either. 😉).

·
Registered
155 Posts
No, I meant Deep. IMHO, low production numbers (tight supply) don’t always increase a car’s desirability (demand).

When production planners decide how many coupes to paint each color, those colors expected to be the most “desirable/saleable” colors are produced in the greater numbers. To figure that stuff out, they look at focus group data, recent new car sales trends, and predictions about future color trends. So:

Unless I missed a citation to a source for average coupe sale price by color—and until I see one—I am likely to continue to “believe” a solid Deep coupe commands a higher sale price than Mean or Fresh (probably because I like Deep waaaaaay more than either. 😉).
I have no real world data if a Deep coupe would command more than a similar Mean coupe. As they don't pop up as frequently as the verts it's hard to judge their asking price by color over the other variables. It's extremely rare to have more than one for sale in local area with similar details. Personally from my knowledge of collectors cars, typically the rarer the color or the option warrants a higher asking price. Additionally if removing the rarity of the color out of the equation, sport cars typically are more desirable in brighter sportier colors, thus easier to sell, possibly justifying a higher asking price. IMO that would translate to Mean, Brazen, and Aggressive most likely being your go to sport car colors as seen similar in the vert sales.

I'm not saying I have anything against Deep personally, it's actually one of my favorite colors combined with the tan top (on the verts). It's just not a color that would usually justify a higher asking price in normal car markets unless it was a uniquely rare color.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Feels like splitting hairs here.

Mileage and condition aside, turbo and manuals will generally command a premium.

Hope this question doesn't offend some owners. I am trying to understand what is the rationale for a 2.4l 177hp base Solstice coupe when there are alot of superior alternatives for similar amount of money. Referencing the old Car & Driver article, the 370z, 135i and the RX8 best even the GXP coupe. I can see how people would enjoy the base roadster with the top down driving and good looks over say a Miata. But can't seem to draw any conclusion for the base coupe that is slower, claustrophobic and poor ergonomics. Yes it is a good looking car.... from the outside. Please help me understand.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I wonder if GM didn't just set out to build a Miata alternative as the NA has similar performance, just as they had managed to get the Fiero past management approval by touting it as a commuter car with that horrid iron Duke engine and pretty low performance. Then they turned around once production got rolling and created the version they may have had in mind from the beginning, the V6 Formula and GT versions.

I doubt that GM would have looked on an initial higher performance model as sales friendly before there was any record for the new car.

And remember that aside from a bit of earlier use in a car or two, the LNF version of the Ecotec was new territory for them - I think they were again being too conservative in releasing it at the original 260/260 output level when a simple tune (GMPP) gave then a much better 290/340 result.All they would have had to do was make that tune stock on release of the GXP and all of the comparison tests that model took place in would have been won by the Pontiac.

Perhaps they just hadn't had enough testing time? Who knows. Woulda coulda shoulda are words that commonly show up in all sorts of automotive analyses.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,135 Posts
It could be. I never looked at the production numbers for the different color coupes

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,135 Posts
That is true about low production number colors. It also has to be desirable color. Typically the yellow verts are being sold for higer dollars that is why I said the yellow. about 2 years ago when my car was totaled the insurance company came back with an 11,000 figure for it. When I did some looking for 2008 yellow gxp's there were only 5 cars I could find that were for sale and were painted Yellow. All of them were being sold right around the 20,000 area and all of them were also automatic transmissions where mine is a manual. Manual transmissions are also get a higher price.

At the time I had found that the selling price of every other GXP (non coupe) were selling in the 16,000-18,000 area where the 5 yellow ones were closer to 20,000. all of the mileages were about the same and in the 20-30 k mile area.

·
Administrator
8,973 Posts
I wonder if GM didn't just set out to build a Miata alternative as the NA has similar performance, just as they had managed to get the Fiero past management approval by touting it as a commuter car with that horrid iron Duke engine and pretty low performance. Then they turned around once production got rolling and created the version they may have had in mind from the beginning, the V6 Formula and GT versions.

I doubt that GM would have looked on an initial higher performance model as sales friendly before there was any record for the new car.

And remember that aside from a bit of earlier use in a car or two, the LNF version of the Ecotec was new territory for them - I think they were again being too conservative in releasing it at the original 260/260 output level when a simple tune (GMPP) gave then a much better 290/340 result.All they would have had to do was make that tune stock on release of the GXP and all of the comparison tests that model took place in would have been won by the Pontiac.

Perhaps they just hadn't had enough testing time? Who knows. Woulda coulda shoulda are words that commonly show up in all sorts of automotive analyses.
The Sky/Solstice was the first application of the LNF, and GM's first DI gasoline engine. The Cobalt and HHR followed a year later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Whatever the reasoning at GM at the time, I’m sure all the decisions that were being made about colors and options weren’t made with any thought that the model would be nixed after it’s first year. :cautious:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Resale value? No. Sticks & GXPs currently get a premium.

Rare but desirable colors might increase value; some mods will increase or decrease value; low mileage and having fewer owners and all service records will bump it up; but otherwise it’s something like the three factors affecting real estate, though instead of “Location, location, and location”, it’s “Condition, condition, and condition.”

For me, the value is in the driving and ownership experience; I hope I never have to sell my coupe, so I tend to think about its intrinsic value.

If investment/resale is your main goal, a 1-owner loaded stock Deep blue GXP manual coupe with the GMPP tune & less than 10k miles is your holy grail.
What is the GMPP tune?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi! I'm looking at a pretty, unmolested base coupe. It's the first one I've ever seen really. So my question is -- are there less base Coupes than there are gxp ones? If so, long term is that a good thing in terms of value?

Thanks gang!
Love my base, she has all the power I need, she gets up and goes when she needs too and is easy on the fuel. Engine compartment has a bit more room to see what's going on. Less complications with fuel delivery and the bases have not had as many issues with emission codes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We bought our NA/Manual Koupe151 new. Added the GM Performance CAI within a month. We like it more now than when we bought it. Good tires make a difference. The DDM ProBeam made it handle better. The DDM Venom brace made a small improvement in handling. Have not installed the DDM backbone yet since it handles fine as is. Get the NA and you'll like it just fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I'm looking at a pretty, unmolested base coupe. It's the first one I've ever seen really. So my question is -- are there less base Coupes than there are gxp ones? If so, long term is that a good thing in terms of value?

Thanks gang!
Unless you plan to race the car, the base model has still enough power and very responsive and precise steering that makes it fun to drive.
With regard to the question of being good as an investment, time will tell. If you have fun with it, then it would be a good investment toward enjoying life.

Thanks gang!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think there are a few more things standard with the turbo kappas. LSD, brake cooling ducts, exhaust pipes and uprated suspension were ones I remember. Nothing that one can't put into a base.
I think base roadsters would be fun in a Miata sort of way.

·
Administrator
8,973 Posts
I think there are a few more things standard with the turbo kappas. LSD, brake cooling ducts, exhaust pipes and uprated suspension were ones I remember. Nothing that one can't put into a base.
I think base roadsters would be fun in a Miata sort of way.
LSD was an option for the NAs, and many of them have it. That said, I am not sure how much benefit you actually get from it, and I would like to drive one without it as a comparison.

The brake cooling ducts are mainly for show, as the air is ported to the rotor, only into the wheel well.

The turbo suspension is stiffer, but I would not necessarily class that as up-rated as depending on road surface it can make the car slower.

You may require horsepower to be happy, and I get that, but power is the only thing missing with an NA.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Let's be honest about all this.
The brake ducts and such on the GXP are really nothing more than the equivalent of the fake air ducts on the Saturns - they are styling tweaks aimed at attracting customers.

Having said that, they would have one other possible role - if you did want to go racing you can convert them to actual useful bits by adding some ducting and in some classes you might not be able to add that sort of cut out unless it was factory.

John and I differ on what sort of suspension we prefer and that is OK as we all have preferences. I am used to stiffer than he is comfortable with and I think that GM aimed at his general comfort range as being something that wouldn't jar most potential buyers.

He is quite right in saying that stiffer is not always faster - if you are running on rough surfaces (I have raced on tracks made out of WW2 airstrips that are now getting pretty rough), you will dance sideways in a corner while a more softly sprung car may quite possibly maintain better adhesion. I live where the roads are pretty well maintained - if I didn't, I'd probably want softer suspension too.

Finally, the exhaust pipes are more than adequate whether single or dual regardless of whether it is a turbo car or not. The added twin pipe on the GXP is nothing more than additional puffery to set them apart from the base model..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I drove an NA auto before buying my manual NA coupe. I find plenty of spirited driving by keeping the revs up. Turning off the traction control & ESC can help, too. And always use premium gas.
One thing I learned a long time ago about cars .... rare doesn't mean valuable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi. For what it’s worth, I have the ‘07 GXP with 93k mi on it and no engine, water pump, turbo, etc. issues so far🤞Good luck with your purchase from Kappa Windscreens & Accessories👍🇺🇸😎

·
Registered
8 Posts
Resale value? No. Sticks & GXPs currently get a premium.

Rare but desirable colors might increase value; some mods will increase or decrease value; low mileage and having fewer owners and all service records will bump it up; but otherwise it’s something like the three factors affecting real estate, though instead of “Location, location, and location”, it’s “Condition, condition, and condition.”

For me, the value is in the driving and ownership experience; I hope I never have to sell my coupe, so I tend to think about its intrinsic value.

If investment/resale is your main goal, a 1-owner loaded stock Deep blue GXP manual coupe with the GMPP tune & less than 10k miles is your holy grail.
I’m presently selling a 2009 manual gxp coupe,fresh hydro blu. 385 miles,chip upgrade.Curious to see where the market is.

·
Registered
2009 Solstice GXP Coupe
38 Posts

21 - 40 of 43 Posts