Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone out there with a base stereo tell me if the EQ button only performs bass and treble functions? The manual just tells you its there. I thought you could change to settings like jazz, pop, rock, ect...

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The two upgraded steroes have the preset EQ settings. I believe the base stereo only does bass/treble. The upgraded ones do bass, treble, and mid range.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I have a question about the text on my stereo. I seem to be receiving data very sporadically. For example.. I'll get part of the song title, then part of the artist. Then perhaps the same part of the song title, or maybe the rest of the song title, or maybe the radio station "nickname". In GM cars I've rented this type of information often scrolled across the screen. In the Solstice, it seems to come up a line at a time. I'd be interested in anyone else's observations.

·
Registered
215 Posts
brentil said:
The two upgraded steroes have the preset EQ settings. I believe the base stereo only does bass/treble. The upgraded ones do bass, treble, and mid range.

The base stereo is severely limited. Only treble and bass adjustments which are very very weak. Will go aftermarket in a while.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Factory Sounds!.......

I prefer factory upgrades for my Solstice. I'll save the pimped out stuff for my other vehicles! :lol:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping to keep the head stock and go aftermarket for speakers and amps. But I am not sure now. I wanted the interior to look stock. The base is pretty, well ah base.

·
Registered
39 Posts
To all who have NOT ordered their Solstice yet!
DO NOT ORDER THE BASE STEREO...AS IT IS REALLY JUNK!
I order almost all the IMPORTANT options, well the polished wheels just had to be on the car, and I ordered the stock radio because GM USUALLY HAD a good base radio! You can't hear this radio, very good, with the top down and with the top up it's a very TINNY sound! The dealer told me to set the Bass/Treble all the way up, and that helped a little, but this radio is JUNK! I'm going to look for a better aftermarket radio/system in the spring.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
However if you would have order the Monsoon option the problem would not be there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am on my way to the dealer to upgrade to Monsoon. How much extra is it? Also, you guys spoke of 2 upgraded stereos, is the MP3 stereo one of them? That's what I have ordered right now.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
jerzkid said:
I am on my way to the dealer to upgrade to Monsoon. How much extra is it? Also, you guys spoke of 2 upgraded stereos, is the MP3 stereo one of them? That's what I have ordered right now.
It is about an additional $600.00 and includes the MP3.
$195.00 for the upgraded radio and MP3 and $495.00 for the Monsoon setup.
I just realized that Troy has not change the servers from DST, it is an hour ahead.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Same boat

Ron Brandich said:
To all who have NOT ordered their Solstice yet!
DO NOT ORDER THE BASE STEREO...AS IT IS REALLY JUNK!
I order almost all the IMPORTANT options, well the polished wheels just had to be on the car, and I ordered the stock radio because GM USUALLY HAD a good base radio! You can't hear this radio, very good, with the top down and with the top up it's a very TINNY sound! The dealer told me to set the Bass/Treble all the way up, and that helped a little, but this radio is JUNK! I'm going to look for a better aftermarket radio/system in the spring.
:agree:

I couldn't have said it better myself. I expected the base stereo to be at least passable, but it is DEPLORABLE! Good thing I don't care too much. Funny how things change. I installed professionally for a few years in a past life. At that time, stereo was more important to me than performance.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I saved the money and went with the base. It sounds like real junk. No problem though as I plan to go aftermarket. Quality aftermarket system for a comparable cost of the optional GM offerings. Many more choices and options available.

·
Registered
928 Posts
latin venom said:
However if you would have order the Monsoon option the problem would not be there.
SO can people with the monsoon validate that it is worth the 600 bucks? I wouldn't mind the 600 if it saved me the trouble of tearing up a brand new car. I don't even want to think about getting the tweeters out of the A frame.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
silversolstice said:
SO can people with the monsoon validate that it is worth the 600 bucks? I wouldn't mind the 600 if it saved me the trouble of tearing up a brand new car. I don't even want to think about getting the tweeters out of the A frame.
There are a few postings on this subject by those that have the Monsoon equipment. All the postings were positive, however if you are looking for a thumping sound, then go aftermarket, the Bass in the Monsoon is adequate but it also depends on what you are after.
Go to the General Tech section:
Then find the following thread: Sounds in the Solstice.
It is about the exhaust sound as well as the monsoon.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6189

·
Registered
670 Posts
GPS navigation

We have been told that the Pioneer AVIC-D1 will fit and work in the Solstice. They say that you need a special wire harness to adapt the steering wheel controls to the unit. Any one else looking at this? :cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
brian carpenter said:
We have been told that the Pioneer AVIC-D1 will fit and work in the Solstice. They say that you need a special wire harness to adapt the steering wheel controls to the unit. Any one else looking at this? :cool:
I have a Alpine 9851 in my S2000 our remote function are on the left side of the dash. You have to get a inerface controler to make the controls work.
There are generic controlers out there, now if they will work on the Solstice remains to be seen. go here ------> www.crutchfield.com. Most probably
there is. Does Bose still make GMs head units ? That might be a place to start.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anyone know what the wattage on the Base Radio?

I am not a fan of the base radio, especially when not playing a CD. Extensive googling (and checking the owner's manual) results in zero wattage details on the current equipment. My '97 Saturn stereo had considerably better stock sound.

I'm not concerned about more bass, just hoping to avoid an amp or a non-stock radio. I'm tempted to get some better 6" speakers in the door but am not sure if the weak head unit will negate any benefit.

Any audiophile thoughts?
:confused:

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
The speakers is not the problem, so if you do not want to add a non stock radio then upgrade to the better radio, but I would say an amp should solve the problem.

·
Registered
275 Posts
"To all who have NOT ordered their Solstice yet!
DO NOT ORDER THE BASE STEREO...AS IT IS REALLY JUNK!"
Well, at least you understand now why it's always better to test a car before you buy. However, several postings here have given very positive reviews of the base system w/ Monsoon speakers, so I won't pay any
attention to your claims - I'll listen for myself and make a decision.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts