Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my car 2007 Solstice for 4 years now. This battery issue has been going on the whole time. I’ve taken it to the dealership 3 times and they say they’ve tested the entire electrical system and find nothing draining my battery. I’ve replaced the battery numerous times and the dealership has just replaced it. Still having the same issue. Try to start my car it will start, next day, try to start it and nothing! I’m pulling my hair out! The transmission modulator valve was replaced prior to me purchasing this car. Please help!

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
Are you sure the not starting is caused by draining battery ?
Perhaps the draining only starts after a long time, for whatever reason?
Did you try removing a different fuse every day and locate which one(s) stop the drain ?
Also see this video . . .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All fuses have been checked! All good.. it could be only one day of not driving my car and dead the next day, or it could be a week and no start! There seems to be no consistent anything! It’s driving me nuts

·
Super Moderator
6,272 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I assume that you are removing the key and are not leaving anything plugged in to the accessory outlet.

What happens when the car won't start? Slow crank, no crank, lights turn on or not, radio works or not? (I frequently leave my GPS plugged in with no effect, but ....)

What do you have to do to get it to start?

Not knowing exactly what testing has been done makes diagnosis difficult, and from your description some of this has been done, but I am going to start at the beginning.
1) Check the voltage of the battery immediately after turning the ignition off.
2) Use a clamp-on ammeter to measure current from the battery.
3) Repeat these measurements periodically while the car is off.
4) After the car won't start, check the voltage at the battery terminals, from the battery positive to the engine ground tab, and from the fuse block lug to the ground tab.

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
So you are 100% sure the problem is battery drainage ?

All fuses have been checked! All good.. . . . .
Not sure what you mean by that. You could remove a fuse one by one and measure for drainage.

Of course in your case it might be all ok when measuring, so you could remove a fuse every day when you park the car. When eventually the car acts up again you know that circuit is not the culprit and you do the same with the next fuse.

Since it drains in minimum one day you could also do the full fuse trick and measure every day for a week or so till you find the drain circuit. Seems unlikely the battery drain problems pops up with out you measuring a drain during the day before acting up.

Whatever you do you do need patience , luck , or a great car mechanic :)

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
You need to put a meter on your battery and make sure it's voltage is truly low.

Is it a manual transmission? Might be the clutch pedal switch and not the battery at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,272 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts