Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my batter light came on today. I get a chime to alert me to the light, then it stays on. I did the normal checks, unhooked the batter while the car is running, car kept running. Checked voltage with batter disconnected. bounced between 12 and 14, normally stayed around 13.7-13.8. While the battery was disconnected the interior lights flickered a bit. I am guessing the alternator is going out. What are the conditions for the Battery light to come on? I assume there are several conditions that can set the light. There are no associated codes with the battery light.

After the light came on, I swear i hear a slight rattling/metallic rotating sound coming from the alternator area. Maybe thats just a placebo because I want to find the cause...

Any ideas? How hard is it to remove the alternator? I have never even really looked at it. Anyone done it before give me some hints or tricks?

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
How does it crank like normal? Maybe battery has a weak cell, the charging system is setting the light due to higher demand.

If you turn the high beams on and hit the brakes any change in RPM?

Take the drive belt off and spin it to see if it spins freely.

Maybe data log voltage with HPT see if it dips as load goes up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts