Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on a good cost effective battery for my 2008 Solstice GXP? The battery that came with the car when I bought it 4 years ago has died.

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
My opinion is that all batteries are basically the same, and you are just as likely to get a bad one from anyone, since the reality is that the ones you can buy in North America are all made by a relatively few manufacturers. Buy the one that it will be easiest to exchange if something goes wrong and it dies under warranty.

I see no reason to go to an Optima. They are lighter, which means little in a street car, but are no more reliable that conventional batteries.

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
There are differences in battery construction. I have had good luck with AGM. I have used Optima which come in several varieties depending on use and Optima batteries which are built in their US factory

A good, standard battery can be had at several big box stores. For ease of service should the need arise, Autozone or any of the chain parts places can be a good option.

The GM factory batteries gave very good service lasting five, six or more years with few issues

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
The GM factory batteries gave very good service lasting five, six or more years with few issues
My original battery in the 06 lasted over 12 years.
Daily driver, 120k, Summer and Winter.
Let the dealer replace it just before winter last year.
Used their best battery and they installed it for a little less than $200.
Wonder how long this one will last?

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
My Optima is about five years old and still going strong. It probably wont last any longer than any other high end battery, and it probably is not cost effective, but that bright red battery sure is pretty sitting in there.

Bill.

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
I have seen the cheapest batteries outlast the most expensive, and I have occasionally seen even Optima batteries die a premature death. There are no absolutes.

If you never venture away from home, or don't rely solely on your car for basic transportation, it probably doesn't matter what you get. I like having a battery that, if it dies young, I can get warranty replacement without delay just about anywhere.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I went with original spec.

Mine was still going strong at 10 years old when I chickened and decided to change it - had it been on one of my old sports cars where you can change a battery in 5 minutes, I would have let it go until it failed.

I've seen a lot of people unhappy with the more expensive -- e.g. Optima- batteries when they fail to live up to their claims.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
That goof ball Mike that does the videos, where it appears he is a baby bird trying to fly has a video on Optima. Basically calls them out for what they are.

I have them in the Skpel and my FJ Cruiser. Both Redtops. Will never buy another one. They have replaced the one in Skpel, thru Autozone twice. And the FJ seems to do a little better, it dies at about 2 years.. When they stop replacing them I will with Autozone Diehard, and old Sears brand if I remember correctly. A friend manages the local Autozone and he swears that the Diehard is vastly superior. He says the Optima's were good until the original company was bought out and the batteries are no longer made in the US. Same thing that birdman says.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Menards. They warranty for 3 years, no proration.... Most have ACDelco or Interstate. And I paid $65 for mine.

So at 2 years, 11 months, pull it, take it in and say it died again....bingo, new battery.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
My battery on my ‘06 just died over last winter. Not a daily driver but still excellent. I had dealer do the install because it looked tight to me. They had to remove the side fender panel to install. I got the best battery they offered.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Spoiler: (Highlight this box to see the hidden message.)
My battery on my ‘06 just died over last winter. Not a daily driver but still excellent. I had dealer do the install because it looked tight to me. They had to remove the side fender panel to install. I got the best battery they offered.
And they charged you an hour and half labor, so about an extra $225?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts