Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken out the battery? And how? Looks like it is really stuck in the fender well with no way out. :cool:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
There was a thread about this before, and here's the link Battery Removal Procedure

Basicaly, you have to remove the right fender panel and inner fender well. :( Luckily, it's something you should only have to do once every 4 or 5 years.

·
Registered
46 Posts
AeroDave said:
There was a thread about this before, and here's the link Battery Removal Procedure

Basicaly, you have to remove the right fender panel and inner fender well. :( Luckily, it's something you should only have to do once every 4 or 5 years.
You got to be kidding......oh well thats one check mark against the Solstice....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im the manager at an Advance Auto. Lots of cars have batteries that are difficult to remove.

For instantance:

95 to 97 monte carlo very hard
98 to current monte carlo hard
97 to current grand prix hard
Various Caddys and buicks very hard (under back seat and very heavy)
Dodge stratus and its counterparts very hard (remove drivers side tire)

The list goes on, but I have these batteries all in the store. For a miata it is a little vented batt. that has to be special ordered. So I would say the Sol is designed much better than its rival. Got to love American cars. (Go GM and UAW)

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Like that just said, the battery in the Miata is expensive and difficult to change. It's in a lower corner of the trunk. Having driven one for four years I can tell you it's a real pain when you have to get to the battery or when you need to change it. The battery is a special vented battery for which I had to pay $125 to get (that's without installation). The install was easy but I had to wait 10 days for the battery to be delivered. Thank goodness it was during the summer. I'm certain the battery could not have made it through even a couple of winter starts.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
S2KAP2 said:
You got to be kidding......oh well thats one check mark against the Solstice....
Why? Do you plan to regularly take out the battery?

Sounds like a plus to me since they planned from the start to have a way to get the battery out of the car and still maintain the look. They also put in a place to connect jumper cables if necessary if I saw what I thought I did in someone's pictures.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Pterosaur said:
Hey here is a dumb but related question...does a Prius have a battery to start the car? Other hybrids?
And just how do you change a 2,000-lb battery :eek:

:glol:

suckers :leaving:

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Corvette uses the same principle you have to remove a battery panel to get to the battery.

hell even NASCAR does the same thing, but there you have to remove the left rear wheel and an inner panel.

You want a P.I.T.A battery removal try a Sebring!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Pterosaur said:
Hey here is a dumb but related question...does a Prius have a battery to start the car? Other hybrids?
Yes, in the Prius the entire battery bank starts the car. When the car is at a stop, the gas engine is off. When you step on the throttle, battery power is routed to the electric motor and it is the electric motor that propells the car. Once the electric motor is over whelmed by your need for speed, either because you want to go faster than 30mph or you just stomped on the "gas" pedal, the inertia of the car and the electric motor will engage the gas motor and start it.

So in sense, the Prius has such a big battery and starter motor, that you can actually drive the car around town on the starter motor! This is why hybrids get way better mileage in city driving than they do on the highway, because on the highway the gas motor is on all the time and doing most of the work, and in the city the electric motor does most of the work and the gas motor is off most of the time. New Prius drivers have the problem of trying to start the motor at stop sign because years of conditioning tell them that if you come to a stop and hear no sound, the motor died. So for a short time, new Prius drivers will reach for the ignition key and give it a twist for no reason! I have two friends with Priuses and they both experienced this at the beginning.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
AeroDave said:
Yes, in the Prius the entire battery bank starts the car. When the car is at a stop, the gas engine is off. When you step on the throttle, battery power is routed to the electric motor and it is the electric motor that propells the car. Once the electric motor is over whelmed by your need for speed, either because you want to go faster than 30mph or you just stomped on the "gas" pedal, the inertia of the car and the electric motor will engage the gas motor and start it.

So in sense, the Prius has such a big battery and starter motor, that you can actually drive the car around town on the starter motor! This is why hybrids get way better mileage in city driving than they do on the highway, because on the highway the gas motor is on all the time and doing most of the work, and in the city the electric motor does most of the work and the gas motor is off most of the time. New Prius drivers have the problem of trying to start the motor at stop sign because years of conditioning tell them that if you come to a stop and hear no sound, the motor died. So for a short time, new Prius drivers will reach for the ignition key and give it a twist for no reason! I have two friends with Priuses and they both experienced this at the beginning.
The same sort of thing happens with me. I have an old car that the shifter is on the steering column. When I drive my girlfriend's car the shifter in between the seats so I instinctively shift the air by the column. :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts