Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With winter off in the not to distant future (yuk) I was wondering if anyone uses a battery Tender for the winter? I have used them for years on motorcycles and cant think of a reason not to, just wondering?

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Had a Craftsman that was a gift and I used it on my generator battery to keep it tended over the winter. Noticed this late winter that the lights on it indicated an error. Figured it puked. Tried charging the battery this spring and it wouldn't hold a charge - had a bad cell. I don't think the tender caused the problem as I wasn't thrilled with the "generic" battery that the dealer put on the generator when I bought it.

I've since bought a Schumacher charger/minder and will test it out this winter. It was economical (about $30) and is approved for mounting under-hood.

Schumacher 1.5 A Battery Charger, 12V - 0476942 | Tractor Supply Company

True-Value and other stores carry this brand and model. I don't know if I will mount it underhood, but it is an option.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Yep, use two. A Sears model and my old Harley one. The newer versions have sensors built into them to prevent them from constantly charging which can lead to sulphation build-up.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I have had just as much luck using a 1.5/2 amp charger (tender) and hooking it up once a month to refresh battery. I store 1 car all winter (the permagrin) and the other, all summer. The device lasts longer that way and no worry of a fault that could cause overcharging.

·
Registered
200 Posts
We head south for the winter leaving our second car home and alone for 6 months of the year. I hook up battery tender I got from Canadian Tire for about $20. We have had no problems in the years I have been using the tender. Before, the tender we used to arrive home to a dead battery even though I had disconnected it. One year I left the battery connected and had the neighbour start the car once a month. That didn't work either as he forgot to start the car and the battery died on him.

Cheers, Don from Nanaimo

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I always just disconnect the battery and don't use a tender of any kind. Never had an issue and the car always fires right up.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Use them for everything.
Motorcycle, 2 scooters, lawn tractor, Solstice, truck, and a deep cycle battery for emergency use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Battery Charger

Don't forget to check the water level in your battery every so often, but especially before hooking it up to the charger for a long period of time.
Also, use distilled water when adding water to battery as all minerals and other junk has been removed from it.
Jerry :cool:

·
Registered
702 Posts
With winter off in the not to distant future (yuk) I was wondering if anyone uses a battery Tender for the winter? I have used them for years on motorcycles and cant think of a reason not to, just wondering?
You are absolutely correct -- there is no reason not to use them.

A good reason for using one: Extends the life of your battery, a good thing, especially as the Kappa batteries are a bit difficult to change (as in remove the fender panel and wheel well liner).

A subtle difference in terms to be aware of...

Trickle charger -- runs continuously, have to keep an eye on the water level in the battery.

Battery "Tender" -- an 'intelligent' trickle charger that is much less likely to deplete the water; in simple terms, it charges on demand rather than continuously.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You are absolutely correct -- there is no reason not to use them.

A good reason for using one: Extends the life of your battery, a good thing, especially as the Kappa batteries are a bit difficult to change (as in remove the fender panel and wheel well liner).

A subtle difference in terms to be aware of...

Trickle charger -- runs continuously, have to keep an eye on the water level in the battery.

Battery "Tender" -- an 'intelligent' trickle charger that is much less likely to deplete the water; in simple terms, it charges on demand rather than continuously.

Boy, that is right! I store mine for about 5 months each year and didn't use a tender for the first three. The battery failed after the third winter, with only 9800 miles (and relatively few starts) on it. Since then I have used a tender and everything has been fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts