Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched high and low since I started this two days ago....but now the jobs half done. Getting the battery out was well documented but running into a badly corroded and tore like tissue paper terminal connector was unexpected....

So I started to replace the positive battery terminal. So far I've cut off the old broke one and am left with the two wires. Not sure why positive has 2 wires but anyway.....So my next step is to install the new terminal. The one I got is one of those cheap universal but I'm going to go and get a better one.
This is what I have and am not going to use.

Does anyone have experience with this? ANy gotchas before I blow myself up? Do you know the gauge of the battery cable?

ANy input would be great! I think I'm going the right direction but want to make sure.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I got one of these for my daughter's Accord (the clamp version like you show). Put it on about a year ago, clamped over the old copper clamp piece still left on the cable (again, just like you show in the other photos from your car). Been perfectly fine ever since.

I was going to use the clamp version temporarily, as I couldn't find a solder-on type locally. But it's been no trouble, so I haven't bothered trying to get a solder type online. (Yet, at least.)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts

I got these from Parts Express and have been very happy with them, they even have a place for the second wire, they are sold separately positive and negative, $10 for the pair

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, Well, I have cut the wire removing the copper and was just going to slap this puppy on after squishing the wires together but I've been reading that it doesn't conduct well.

But, I guess it's easy enough to remove if there is an issue....decisions decisions.. THanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Here is what is left

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I got these from Parts Express and have been very happy with them, they even have a place for the second wire, they are sold separately positive and negative, $10 for the pair

Hmm, I seen those too. I'm wondering if I should just replace them both....the negative isn't BAD but it's not great though. I'll have to see if there are any in the local parts stores here....thank ya

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
An old mechanics trick. When you are done putting the terminals back on the battery, coat them with Vaseline (or some such thing). This keeps the corrosion from attacking the terminals.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
You should always apply a light coating of grease to battery terminals to inhibit formation of deposits and corrosion.

Put some dielectric grease (conductive) on the post before you install the new clamps.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
If I was replacing my negative terminal, I would get one with an on/off green switch like the one I saw at Walmart. Handy if you need to reset your cars ECM for some reason.

·
Registered
292 Posts
TS,
Fuse.# please.
Thanks
LLLFLY

·
Registered
292 Posts
I don't know what RFM is Dude.
But Thank you for your time posting those
#.
I place them in my files. If someone needs them
I will pass it on.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I don't know what RFM is Dude.
But Thank you for your time posting those
#.
I place them in my files. If someone needs them
I will pass it on.
LLLFLY
RFM = Read (the) F. Manual ;) -- sorry I couldn't resist.

But they are clearly marked in the list of fuses inside the fusebox lid.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
How often would you be resetting the ECM?
Just one example of the need to pull the negative terminal of the battery. Various electrical mods require you pull the same terminal... winter storage. Quicker to turn a on/off switch beside the battery than pull fuses. $6.00 bucks at Walmart...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I went with a brass version of the terminal post from my original message. I did add grease and pads as well. It seemed as though everything went well, the terminal was a little tight and I couldn't get it down all the way but it's on pretty tight.
So, the next day I went to work drove home for lunch then went to the park for a break after stopping at the store.
Went to start the care and completely dead, same as it was before I replaced the battery and terminal. .....so dead that the key stuck in the ignition and had to hit the magic button under the steering wheel. I was parked for not even 15 minutes.
So, I called a friend and he hooked up the cables and I started it right away and it started without hesitation, not even a hiccup. Which is weird.

The only things that have changed in the car is I have some older HIDS and I had changed out the horn with nothing super interesting or unique.

These things have been in the car for ever though, maybe 2 years. However, the wiring for the HIDS is a mess...wasn't done very well.

Anyhoo, nothing was loose, nothing left plugged in....I think I'm going to replace the negative terminal as well but I doubt that's the issue.

Maybe it's the other side of the cable having the issue??

·
Registered
834 Posts
Didn't notice in the initial thread, but if there was really bad corrosion around the terminal, odds are, there was some kind of leak around the terminal. Could the terminal be physically damaged by any chance?

Put a volt/multimeter on it, and you should be getting 12.6V+. Then while someone is reading voltage, grab and push on the terminal. If the voltage suddenly cuts out, the terminal could be partially/tentatively connected.

That could explain the sudden on/off characteristic of the battery.

If it's more than 4 years old, change it out anyways. Lots of thee AC Delco batteries seem to fail without much warning, and with occasional weird behavior until it fully dies.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just placed a new battery and a new positive terminal. The negative terminal doesn't look horrible, just a little aged.
The strange thing is that it isn't acting like there is a problem with the battery. I placed in a Duracell gold. I'll have to test the voltage like you said but you have a feeling it's not going go show an issue.
I wish the solstice was a bit easier to work in, everything is so tight

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Did you put grease in the terminal and then clamped it?.
If you did please remove it and clean it.
Make sure you put the dielectric grease after you install the new terminal post.
Also make sure the bare wires were cleaned before you attached them to the new terminal.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts