Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Perhaps I'm speculating too much. A few observations made me think that they're one in the same:

• Pulling the OnStar fuse disables TPMS
  • Circuit routing seems to tie these together
  • OnStar can be remotely controlled to unlock/lock car doors, monitor car health and other signs of possible road hazards (low tire pressure), alarm, etc.
There was also some dialogue I recall a while back regarding the consequences of removing the OnStar equipment.

In my case, I couldn't use my fobs, TPMS, or alarm. Didn't test anything further, so it might just be one module able to talk to another.

-Jeff

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Ahhh, then no. OnStar does the remote functions and reporting status by 'talking' to the BCM over the GMLAN - not directly itself. The OnStar box does share a fuse (#58) with the Remote Keyless Entry receiver - probably because they are both located near each other on the back wall - but not TPMS. Maybe you were confused there?

EDIT: Unless of course the RKE receiver also receives the TPMS signals too. That could be - I've never thought about the TPMS receiver before.

EDIT2: Actually this makes sense. Probably why there was a TSB that covered failure of both TPMS and Remote Fob operation - because they were part of the same module. The mists are now clearing .... hmmm. :)

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Soup. Yes the rke module talks to the fobs and the tpms sensors.

Please note the complete lack of telling you to search first before posting despite my crass sense of humor screaming inside my brain to do so. :)

As for OnStar, think of it simply as a wireless modem between your car and you/your smartphone.
It gets the data from the car and sends it to OnStar and then sends you a report etc. or it gets a remote command to the appropriate module.

The only feature I would credit it with controlling is the voice recognition/ Bluetooth. That's in the OnStar box.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Soup. Yes the rke module talks to the fobs and the tpms sensors.

Please note the complete lack of telling you to search first before posting despite my crass sense of humor screaming inside my brain to do so. :)
Wel... actuallllllly.... (all knowing one) I did do a search and didn't find anything definitive. Please, please, I beg of you, point me to such a statement. I will be your slave forever (PPPpththtptptpththpt) :cryin:

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
116 Posts
The battery on my 2008 ran down after sitting for a week, not exactly sure why it did (less than 2 yrs old) but I found myself in this situation. Neither RKE fob worked and couldn't relearn the TPMS. The dealer did the TSB fix, but still charged me $99 for the fob programming. It was stated that a TSB is not the same as a factory recall, so it was not a free fix. Other people's results with dealerships may vary. I just know I'm happy to be able to lock, unlock, and open trunk again from the fobs.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
we're all guilty of taking the little things for granted. Glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My GXP batt went south due to winter hibernation and of course I "thought" about a trickle charger but due to my negligence, procrastination in realizing just how fragile CPU's, ECM's, EMS's, etc, etc REALLY are I am at the crossroads of (I hate this part)dealer intervention, (please excuse me while I barf) ....or.....living w/o RKE/TPM.
I sued GM about the noisy cams on my 2011 Equinox and won (got some $$ outta them but still noisy) but that was a legal warranty issue. If there is, in fact, a TSB on the RKE/TPM on low voltage I could sue and win.
If anybody has any info so I can trace liability back to the GM b..t..ds this US Paratrooper Vet would be quintessentially grateful. 82nd Airborne 1957/1960.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Mine did it too this year. Boooo

But.... Mines a 2007. So very interested in how I'm gonna resolve this matter

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
If there is, in fact, a TSB on the RKE/TPM on low voltage I could sue and win.
If anybody has any info so I can trace liability back to the GM b..t..ds this US Paratrooper Vet would be quintessentially grateful. 82nd Airborne 1957/1960.
The TSB info is listed in the very first post of this thread (by JeffGTX - who gets very upset if you don't give full 'attributation')

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Read the thread

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Here's a weird one, earlier in the year when I did my stereo upgrade, I disconnected the battery several times and even had if off over night. then while testing, my big amp drained the battery and I had to charge it over night. even after several days of no battery, low battery, I never lost FOB or TSB on my 08. then a few weeks ago, my son left the dome light on over night and the next day the battery das dead. Maybe since I had no lights at all when I got in but this time it knocked out the FOB and TSB and it's been like that ever since.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Battery Issue;
My battery died during the Winter months,I did not have a tender on it shame on me.I have since charged it and brought it back up to 100% charge,my charger has a battery tester on it and after charging it I tested it ,it read 100% the next day is is at 50% and a few days later it is still 50% or close to that.I decided I should remove the fuse for the radio seeing how I recently installed a Pioneer 940BT to make sure it was not a radio issue.Again charged and then watched to see the battery condition ,next day 50%,guess I need a new battery.
Hate like hell to have to remove fender to do the battery change,I have seen inn the past that there is a video on it,would appreciate it if some one would direct me to it.I did do a search but have not found it as of yet,the fender needed adjustment the day I bought it so I guess now is the time to do it.I have read to put tape by the bolts so you can mark the height but as I said it was wrong from the start.Thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thanks Tomato

·
Registered
1 Posts
thank you for posting. Your posts really helped me. Just got home from the dealer and battery was dead, same thing happened. They tried to tell me it was a more involved problem and that it would cost me a hundred dollars an hour to fix the tire gauge pressure. I told them what was on line they told me they had many years of experience. After 2&a half hours I watch the guy get on the computer and he fixed it within 20 minutes. they said what they were doing wrong was they didn't put the tire size in after the updates. I believe if I wouldn't have read this thread they would have overcharged me and not fixed my car. He at one point said I really didn't need the tire pressure readings.

·
Registered
564 Posts
all i want in life is to never have to go to a dealer.
Priceless.:agree:
But oh so true! I try to avoid the dealer to no end.Unfortunately, I had to jump start the sol ((at my wife's work)pointing the finger of blame:D) and now looks like I have to find a tech2. The problem is we don't really want the ignition recall done.We'll see what happens. Just bringing this thread back as it's good info to have, albeit easy to find.

Bert

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem after our 2008 Sky Redline sat dormant for almost a year. I took it to our mechanic. He has access to the GM firmware and applied the TSB: flashed the module and reprogrammed the fobs and TPMS for $120. It took about 35 minutes. A little pricey, but I did not want to go to the dealer, and our mechanic is excellent.

buzz

21 - 39 of 39 Posts