Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished purchasing a set of BC Racing Coilovers! Considering the price, these are excellent value. They offer adjustable compression/rebound, pillow-ball mounting and are rebuildable. The nearest Coilover available, which is the KW, does not offer these features unless you upgrade to there Variant 2 & 3 models which are twice the price.

I am currently running Eibach springs which gave me a lowered ride height. But at the expense of adjustability in ride height and more importantly reduce overall shock travel. With these fully adjustable blokes, I can set ride height exactly to where I want it, and I can also play with shock behavior. You can also purchase shock adjusting extensions for the rear!

Once they arrive I'll probobly start a thread on the install procedure.

If you're looking to lower your Kappa, take a look at these before buying lowering springs alone. I wish I knew these were out there before I spent money on springs alone. Below is a link to their website.

BC Racing BR Series Coilovers for Pontiac Solstice 2006-2009

·
Premium Member
18,492 Posts
DDM has been selling them for several years. I put them on Punisher in 08 or 09 and like them very much. Good choice.

You may need to clearance them on the rear. I cut an access hole in the trunk liner for clearance and access to the top adjustment knob.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100 (sold)
2,735 Posts
Wspohn has these installed on his coupe. Rob, I don't think it's quite as easy to create access holes in the trunk of a coupe.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Take a look at this thread - it already does a good job of describing installation. I like these units a lot.

BC Racing BR Coilovers With Custom Spring Rates

I managed to get clearance in the rear for my adjustment knobs without having to cut the floor. I expect it may vary from car to car.

Even on the convert it looks possible as it is just close to the floor level:

·
Premium Member
18,492 Posts
Take a look at this thread - it already does a good job of describing installation. I like these units a lot.

BC Racing BR Coilovers With Custom Spring Rates

I managed to get clearance in the rear for my adjustment knobs without having to cut the floor. I expect it may vary from car to car.

Even on the convert it looks possible as it is just close to the floor level:

That looks like my car. :thumbs:

I suppose that I could have used other methods to gain clearance, but then I would not have been able to observe the knob and make tuning very easy. I cover the access holes with carpeting and its worked out great for us.:grouphug:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I believe that they sell extensions to adjust the knob

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I suppose that I could have used other methods to gain clearance, but then I would not have been able to observe the knob
Yes, I suppose one always likes to keep one's knob in view......:dthumbs:

I do recall the remote adjust option but haven't seen anything about it lately.

Frankly, if you are like most people, you will set them and forget them. I talked to several slalom guys to get feedback, chose my initial settings and they turned out to be so good that I haven't needed to change them since.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Personally I am the exact opposite. On my last car I did the Eibach lowering springs and preferred the ride quality over the BC's I have on my solstice now. The BC's ride too hard even in the low settings. Also around turns with a bump in the road cause the car to become air born at high speeds, hopping and sliding sideways (very scary on a freeway offramp). While both lower the car to a better position I think Eibachs improve handling for the street. Maybe on a track the BC's would be the better option but for street the Eibachs ride like a sports car should, firm enough to eliminate body roll but not violent on bumps.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Personally I am the exact opposite. On my last car I did the Eibach lowering springs and preferred the ride quality over the BC's I have on my solstice now. The BC's ride too hard even in the low settings. Also around turns with a bump in the road cause the car to become air born at high speeds, hopping and sliding sideways (very scary on a freeway offramp). While both lower the car to a better position I think Eibachs improve handling for the street. Maybe on a track the BC's would be the better option but for street the Eibachs ride like a sports car should, firm enough to eliminate body roll but not violent on bumps.
I'll give you $400 for those coilovers, and order you a brand new set of Eibach Sportlines.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Personally I am the exact opposite. On my last car I did the Eibach lowering springs and preferred the ride quality over the BC's I have on my solstice now. The BC's ride too hard even in the low settings. Also around turns with a bump in the road cause the car to become air born at high speeds, hopping and sliding sideways (very scary on a freeway offramp). .
What did you do - lower the car nearly onto the bump stops? At normal ride height there is no hopping whatsoever. Your car sounds like it is dangerous the way you have it set up!

·
Registered
432 Posts
What did you do - lower the car nearly onto the bump stops? At normal ride height there is no hopping whatsoever. Your car sounds like it is dangerous the way you have it set up!
I will go out and measure tomorrow but it wasn't an extreme drop, just enough to reduce that nasty wheel gap that plagues the GXP. Road conditions in California suck and I drive it like I stole it. Racetracks are smooth and better prepped than the street so the BC's are a better match there in my opinion. Going sown the freeway I feel every bump HARD. Between the BC's and the crappy stock seats there are some bumps in the straights that cause my butt to lift off the seat, the seats are so crappy they act as a trampoline.

I think the car becoming slightly air born around freeway off ramps (not really an offramp but the ramps that swoop over the freeway connecting to another freeway) is caused by the shock not coming down fast enough when the car hits a bump that causes it to lift. So I essentially hit a bump and the car almost hops sideways if that makes sense. Also keep in mind this is taking the turn at about 100mph maybe more.

·
Registered
149 Posts
What is the rating on the springs? That is a big factor in how the car feels/handles.

I will outbid WillBeck, too. :lurk:

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I think the car becoming slightly air born around freeway off ramps (not really an offramp but the ramps that swoop over the freeway connecting to another freeway) is caused by the shock not coming down fast enough when the car hits a bump that causes it to lift. So I essentially hit a bump and the car almost hops sideways if that makes sense. Also keep in mind this is taking the turn at about 100mph maybe more.
So to sum up, you are driving at highly illegal and unsafe speeds on public highways that you have said are unduly bumpy, with a car that you have lowered, probably have a too stiff shock setting and also possibly too stiff springs.

Hmmm - wonder what the problem might be - anyone....? :crazy:

But seriously, look at your shock setting, height, springs. The answer is there somewhere. It isn't the shocks, I assure you, it must be the settings (or partly the driving?)

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Bill, do you happen to recall what settings you used. Perhaps you wrote them down somewhere? Sure would be nice to have and to use on my setup as a baseline. THANKS!

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, and yes. the extensions are still available and I ordered them with the coilovers. $32.00

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Hey Bill, do you happen to recall what settings you used. Perhaps you wrote them down somewhere? Sure would be nice to have and to use on my setup as a baseline. THANKS!
I used the same springs F and R and set the shocks up with 5 clicks off ths starting point on the front and 10 on the rear.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.