Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dabbled in conversation about this issue in the past but never really had time to dive into the problem. More importantly I never had time to record the issue on video because words do not do it justice.

I took the above video while driving home from work one day last week. Other items I have noticed:

If the car shows the flat line for coolant temp when I go to start, the vehicle will not start.
When the gauges go haywire the aircon stops working.

Anything anyone can provide help wise would be huge. I already checked that pink ignition wire on the back of the BCM and jiggling it does not seem to effect the problem.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
So, what are your DTCs? Pending codes? History codes? Freeze frame data?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only DTC is an issue related to the VVT system. This is something BCM related. Almost like it loses power and comes back. Just trying to see if anyone else had this problem and what their fix was.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Mine was the thermostat. Had it replaced and all was good.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
With all that going on it's hard to believe that at least there are no pending codes.

·
Registered
281 Posts
With all that going on it's hard to believe that at least there are no pending codes.
I'm sure there are codes, but they are not ECM codes which is what 99.9% of code readers read. There are probably some U codes in the BCM/Cluster.

·
Super Moderator
16,399 Posts
This looks like a hardware problem. I have never seen the combination of toggling and erratic display indications that you are receiving.

It is either a hard, but intermittent failure in the BCM or something external. Since you have checked all the "easy" things start looking at the more unlikely problems. You are sadly into elimination mode.

Start with the power supply. Pull the battery terminals, inspect them and clean them. Even if they look prestine, clean them off, apply some good dielectric lubricant and reinstall them.

Check the grounds. Including the ground on the front of the engine block. There are posts in the dim past that described strange and intermittent issues that were found to be a result of a bad (intermittent) ground to the front of the engine block.

Check the connector on the bottom of the fuse / relay box in the engine bay near the battery. There are a few instances of assembly errors with these connectors that might cause intermittent problems.

If you read GS Stage-1 s thread on his odyssey you will find that he had an issue where the connectors to the ECM were never properly sealed at the factory and as a result he got water into his ECM and eventually had his engine replaced due to premature failure. This is an extreme case but you are in the mode of eliminating possibilities till you find the issue.
:grouphug:

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
In addition to those thing Rob listed, I've also seen a couple of reports of the under-hood fuse box circuit board being cracked and causing intermittent issues. Worth checking that as well when you check the connectors Rob mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
16,399 Posts
In addition to those thing Rob listed, I've also seen a couple of reports of the under-hood fuse box circuit board being cracked and causing intermittent issues. Worth checking that as well when you check the connectors Rob mentioned.
:agree::agree::agree:

Wondered where you were Soup. The pressure to perform in your absence was almost too much.:willy:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the information guys, sorry it has been so long since I was able to follow up on this. I should be able to get the car inside and disassembled now that we have 48 feet of snow on the ground, was hard to justify ripping her apart when it was still nice enough to drive.

It is interesting the information on the areas regarding the ECM and Fuse box, because sometimes when it acts up a good hard bang on the pass. A pillar will jostle whatevers loose back into true.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Thanks for the information guys, sorry it has been so long since I was able to follow up on this. I should be able to get the car inside and disassembled now that we have 48 feet of snow on the ground, was hard to justify ripping her apart when it was still nice enough to drive.

It is interesting the information on the areas regarding the ECM and Fuse box, because sometimes when it acts up a good hard bang on the pass. A pillar will jostle whatevers loose back into true.
With that info, I would start looking for a loose connector or ground. In my experience with "strange" car issues like gauges going crazy, 60-70% of the time the issue is with a loose or rusted ground. Also, do not assume that just because there is no surface rust or corrosion that a ground or connector is good. I take everyone apart and ensure that there is no hidden corrosion to deal with.

Your connectors are going to be the quickest to check. Make sure you have a good supply of dielectric grease on hand before starting and make liberal use of it when reassembling them!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts