Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an issue since last spring.

At that time the car would not know the door opened after the key was off giving no door chimes, and the radio would stay on. About half an hour later, the radio would finally shut off.

After taking the car out a few weeks ago, the radio would not turn on. No turn signals or door chimes, etc. The shop replaced the aftermarket radio harness/module... wasn't the main problem. May be the relay for the RAP, or the BCM. Hear random clicks a few times... and once in a while clicks and stays open allowing the radio to turn on. It then stays on after turning off the car and opening the door like it did in the spring.

The windows work before the radio turns on, and work still when the car is off, like the radio.

To solve the radio issue, we have connected the power to the ignition. So now it turns on and off immediately with the car.

I would like to get it back to normal... connected to the accessory.

As of now, the RAP stays powered until it times out... the the door open chime does not work. Meaning it appears that the issue is with the door latch.

Anyone have any ideas on the actual culprit?

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I've seen folks have problems with the BCM connector pin corrosion and bad contact. I'd suggest that as a first try, get to the BCM behind the passenger footwell and remove and replace all the big connectors you see - to clean the connector pins (do it at least a couple of times each). While all the top face connectors are off, pull the whole BCM and do the same thing for the main connector at the back.

Good luck.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen folks have problems with the BCM connector pin corrosion and bad contact. I'd suggest that as a first try, get to the BCM behind the passenger footwell and remove and replace all the big connectors you see - to clean the connector pins (do it at least a couple of times each). While all the top face connectors are off, pull the whole BCM and do the same thing for the main connector at the back.

Good luck.
That may be a good idea... I will try it after I have the door looked at.

I tried something real simple today to verify that it is in the door. When the car is on and the passenger door is opened, the Door Ajar wording appears in the DIC, and the map lights turn on. It does not occur when the driver side door is open.

Anyone have an idea on what I should have the audio shop look for in the door, or should I bring it to a tech that used to work at Saturn?

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Really, I'd try the BCM connectors FIRST. The door switch circuit goes there too. Not heard any issues reported with the door-open switches.

The top connectors are really easy to do. 5 minute job, max. But check the pins for visible corrosion or burning while they are off.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
For what it's worth, I second TS's input. I used to work in audio shops years ago. They're attacking the problem as if it may be their doing. It doesn't seem to be. So what they're actually doing is putting a band-aid on the problem without addressing the root cause.

Check out and clean up the BCM connectors before you take it back to your audio shop. Eventually when they figure out it wasn't anything to do with their install, they're going to want to be compensated for all of their "diagnostic" time. Meanwhile, they're hacking up your wire harness unnecessarily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts