Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

I have a 2007 Solstice and I need to replace the right front Bearing Hub Assembly. I can't seem to find any DIY tips on this site. I am hoping someone can give me a link on this job.

From what I could find elsewhere, it seems straight forward, but I would appreciate hearing from anybody who has done the job themselves.

I do have some specific questions:

1. What size is the front spindle ? (I will need to buy a socket.)
2. What is the torque spec for the spindle ?
3. I think the hub bearing assembly bolts torque to 85FtLbs. Confirm ?

Thanks to anyone who can offer some advice.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
PM rlhammon, I know he has done a hub replacement and can answer your questions.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Remove wheel, caliper, rotor. There is no spindle. 85ft/lb is right.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
This may help... hub (#19) held on by three bolts from the back (#12):

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a 2007 and had to have mine front right replaced two weeks ago. Have about 52,000 miles on the car. Does anybody know of a problem with the hubs?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow up - Job Completed

Since I started this string I decided I should post a message about the job I completed.

It was fairly straight forward, but I did run into a few minor issues.

First, I had a hard time getting the small torx screw out of the rotor. I tried using a small Allen Key, but it didn't budge, and I started to strip the inside of the screw head. I decided to make a quick run to Harbor Freight and pick up a set of Torx bits. That did the job.

Next, after I removed the screw, I couldn't get the rotor off the hub. The rotor was still in good shape so I didn't want to bang on it too hard. I tried to apply some rust-solvent, but it still did not budge. But then it hit me !! What was I doing ???

I decided to just take off the old hub assembly with the rotor still attached. Once I did that, I placed wood blocks (4x4) on the floor, and laid the rotor flat on them with the hub assembly towards the floor. Then I took a malet and gently tapped the lugs on the hub assembly until it at detached from the rotor. It worked great ! Reassembly with the new hub was no problem.

I would like to point out that I purchased a non-OEM hub assembly from Car Parts Warehouse for about $110. They claim it is equivalent to the OEM part, and it's about a third of the price. I know I am taking my chances, but so far, so good. With the new hub assembly, my vibration problem has been eliminated, and I probably saved about $500-$600 doing the job myself.

I hope this helps someone else.

Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Since I started this string I decided I should post a message about the job I completed.

It was fairly straight forward, but I did run into a few minor issues.

First, I had a hard time getting the small torx screw out of the rotor. I tried using a small Allen Key, but it didn't budge, and I started to strip the inside of the screw head. I decided to make a quick run to Harbor Freight and pick up a set of Torx bits. That did the job.

Next, after I removed the screw, I couldn't get the rotor off the hub. The rotor was still in good shape so I didn't want to bang on it too hard. I tried to apply some rust-solvent, but it still did not budge. But then it hit me !! What was I doing ???

I decided to just take off the old hub assembly with the rotor still attached. Once I did that, I placed wood blocks (4x4) on the floor, and laid the rotor flat on them with the hub assembly towards the floor. Then I took a malet and gently tapped the lugs on the hub assembly until it at detached from the rotor. It worked great ! Reassembly with the new hub was no problem.

I would like to point out that I purchased a non-OEM hub assembly from Car Parts Warehouse for about $110. They claim it is equivalent to the OEM part, and it's about a third of the price. I know I am taking my chances, but so far, so good. With the new hub assembly, my vibration problem has been eliminated, and I probably saved about $500-$600 doing the job myself.

I hope this helps someone else.

Thanks for all your input.
Well at least the "wheel bearing" part is contained in that hub that is bolted on by the 3 bolts. On many cars where the wheel bearing is pressed into the hub, you'd need a shop press, which most home mechanics do not have. I bought a small shop press with a few press cups when I started doing transmission rebuilds years ago, and haven't had to pay a shop to press in/out a bearing in a long time now. Was pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
listing here for a pair of hubs for $225

2009PontiacSolsticeWheel Hub Assembly Kit Parts from Buy Auto Parts

I called and they said that they are a "house brand" I still am curious who makes them, in that I am fairly certain that they don't make their own parts, and that carpartswarehouse.com has the exact same deal. I'm sure if I were to dig around some more, I could find more resellers with the same part, but whatever the case, it sounds like a good deal. or at least a good price.

update: I looked anyhow

http://www.carsteering.com/addtocart/2009_Pontiac/Solstice/Wheel_Hub_Assembly_Kit/92-90065.html

http://www.autopartspoint.com/autoparts/Pontiac/Solstice/Wheel_Hub_Assembly_Kit.html

http://www.carpartswarehouse.com/parts/92-90065_2H.html

·
Registered
155 Posts
Now I eed to replace left hub assembly

Was doing a brake job on my 2007 GXP and noticed that the left hub assmbly need to be replaced. The dealer replaced the right one two weeks ago and charged me $514.49 for the hub not including labor. Boy did I get ripped off:cryin:.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just got my hub assemblies today, I ordered them on tuesday or wednesday (thick headed can't remember).

got 'em from buyautoparts.com $225.00 for the pair not tax, free shipping.

as soon as my aching abdomen will allow, I'm gonna install them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what I remember the Torx bit was a T27 size. But do yourself a favor, just buy the full set. I got mine at Harbor Freight for around $10.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Let us know your assessment of the quality of the "house" brand parts please.
uh, they are heavy and shiny...

Seriously, not having used hub assemblies like this before, I can tell you that they feel solid, I am able to turn them, and they don't make any noise. and hopefully there are going to be some pictures with this post.

only took a few tries to get the pics on here, the last one has what could be a part # or something similar from the manufacturer, if someone has a timken or whatever laying around perhaps they could compare that, and when I take my old ones off I will certainly check.

If you'd like to see the assembly in some other alluring pose, just ask, I'm sure it would be willing. :yesnod:

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
uh, they are heavy and shiny...

Seriously, not having used hub assemblies like this before, I can tell you that they feel solid, I am able to turn them, and they don't make any noise. and hopefully there are going to be some pictures with this post.

only took a few tries to get the pics on here, the last one has what could be a part # or something similar from the manufacturer, if someone has a timken or whatever laying around perhaps they could compare that, and when I take my old ones off I will certainly check.

If you'd like to see the assembly in some other alluring pose, just ask, I'm sure it would be willing. :yesnod:
LOL

Thanks for the in depth review.

I was thinking more about after you get a couple thousand miles on them and the wheels dont fall off.:willy:

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Well at least the "wheel bearing" part is contained in that hub that is bolted on by the 3 bolts. On many cars where the wheel bearing is pressed into the hub, you'd need a shop press, which most home mechanics do not have. .
I hate unitized hubs!

Try finding them in 20 years if they weren't used on a lot of models. The hubs for the 88 Fieros are around $400 now and almost impossible to find (although Chinese replacements are easy - and inferior).

Hopefully the Kappa hubs are common to more than just the Kappas - anyone know for sure?

And you don't always need a press to replace separate bearings. There is normally a cut out in the seat to allow you to use a small drift to remove them, and a normal installation tool, not a press is sufficient for reassembly - done tons of them on all sorts of different cars.

Where you do need a BIG press is getting certain kinds of hubs off a splined shaft. Put 14 tons on one wire wheel axle once to break it free.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Hopefully the Kappa hubs are common to more than just the Kappas - anyone know for sure?
I'd answer that question WITH a question... How many different GM cars have the same bolt spacing as ours? Answer: bugger-all.

I did try Google and eBay searches on "FW280 bearing" all I got back were Kappa's :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
All my research says these are just for us.

Hopefully these don't suck, and then are still available when I make that decision so I can buy more and put them on a shelf.

after I get the old ones off I'm gonna see about getting them repacked also, if that is even doable, just because I like making my life difficult.

I am no stranger to having a car with hard to find parts being a former Subaru SVX owner, I seem to seek out cars that are destined to be a problem for me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts