Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just coming out of a rotary onto a two lane highway when I saw an early 70's nova with a kid a little older than me in the drivers seat. He revved what I am assuming was a 350 and took off. So I hit the gas. We stayed about neck and neck until a a**load of coolant shot out of his cowl and wheel wells around 70 (about 5 miles over the speed limit). He had to pull over and if I didn't know any better he either blew a headgasket or a coolant hose. I just find it funny because he revved at me like his big V8 was the almighty and it crapped out when he hit the gas. The truth is though, if that was an early 70's nova with just a 350 (it didn't sounds cammed), it probably only had about the slame to slightly more power than my base 2.4L and a lot more weight. Maybe he'll think next time before his hubris gets the best of him!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I have a similar story with a former muscle car.

The other night I was heading home from downtown OKC. Got on the highway to head South. Saw a convertible in my mirror. It was an early 70s Corvette. Looked pretty nice, sounded great. He passed me and his tag said something to the effect of BAD454. He had the top down with another guy in the passenger seat. I wasn't really looking for a race, but as I pulled up to get in the passing lane and get going, he floored it. Seeing as it was an open road ahead, I couldn't help it. I dropped into 4th and let Dave's S/C do its thing. In a matter of moments I was already right beside him, blower screaming away and watched as him and his friend looked over with disbelief as I kept pulling hard past them. Got about 8 car lengths ahead before I slowed (around 110). Eventually I got back down to safe highway speeds and was cruising. A few minutes later I saw his lights as he was speeding up to catch me again. I again dropped the hammer and by the time he got side by side to me, I pulled away again. lol... I could only imagine how frustrated he was that his big block kept getting monstered by a 2.4l inline 4. It was priceless. I had a hard time listening to my wife on the ride home as I kept high fiving myself on the win. :D

·
Registered
457 Posts
Shows you how the times have changed. I had a Nova SS from that time period and was thrilled with it....but now....

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is funny, I mean, don't get me wrong, there is an endless aftermarket for an engine like the chevy 350, but after emissions started to kick in in the 70's, not to mention the fact that engines were rated in gross hp, the fact is, they really werent that powerful. I just find it funny, because its always been in the back of my mind, if I was showing off and had something go seriously wrong with my car, I'd feel really foolish, so it was funny to see it happen to someone else

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

Every time I hear about Nova's I think of QT homage to bad 70s B movies.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Love that movie!!!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Beat Early 70's Nova. To me that would have to be a 1970 Nova SS with the 396 ci 375 hp engine,M22 trans with 4.88 gears in the rear and a set of DOTs for some bite.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts