Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to share with you all. My daughter and I were running into town on the last weekend before she went off to college. She wanted to have one last ride in the "baby car" before she left. She initially named it the "baby car" when I brought it home about 5 years ago; "why, that's a little tiny baby car!".

On the way home, we drive through the very small Kentucky town we live just outside of, and on that day they were having a parade. Well, just as in a lot of small towns, people were already along the main drag waiting for the parade to begin, but the police had yet to close the road to normal traffic. But, because of a lot of folks trying to get into town in time for the parade, there were a lot of cars on the road and folks walking along or standing right next to the street, so you had to go really slow.

As we're driving along, I swear at least 2/3 of the people are just staring at the car - following it with their gaze as we slowly drove by. A couple of little kids actually waved - and my daughter waved back! It was almost painful being such a center of attention, but as I drove along I realized something. I turned to my daughter and said "it may just be a Pontiac, a little "baby car", but the eye and the heart knows a beautiful thing when it sees it - they can't help themselves!"

You can say what you like about the Solstice. Mine has never given me a lick of trouble in five years and 48k miles, it has been virtually perfect - and it has got to be one of the most timelessly beautiful cars I've ever seen. I'm blessed to own it.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Drive on, little doggie, drive on. The Sol demonstrates that beauty is something that exists apart from huge piles of money. Glad you and your daughter got to enjoy the experience.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The greatest story shared with your daughter. And one of your prized possession. What a lucky man you are. I have two daughters and love them dearly......oh yeaa and my Solstice!. Good for you.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I have admired the Solstice since its introduction, and have owned my "mean yellow roadster" for a month. I really love driving a piece of automotive sculpture. These cars are beautiful, they have great performance, and are affordable. It just doesn't get much better, in me humble opinion. I love my GXP !!!

·
Registered
643 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I whole heartedly agree. When the concept car was introduced I thought GM hit the marks with it.

Since I have worked for Ford in Manufacturing for over 35 years I had to give up the Pontiacs I owned as a teenager (65 GTO) / young adult (71 Firebrid) and show my allegience to Ford / Lincoln Mercury / Jaguar products.

Being in engineering management I have had my share of Mustang GTs (8), Probe GTs (1), Taurus SHOs (3), & Jags (an S Type R, an XJR, & a couple X Type Sports).

I fell in love with Solstice Coupe when I first laid eyes on it this past March and had to have one. I found a low mileage, manual, GXP coupe in "Cool" down in Florida and have driven it all summer up along the Lake Erie coast to and from work.

I love driving this car and plan to keep it in my family forever. Its a true keeper! It will soon be time to "put it to sleep" for the harsh winter ahead which will be depressing. As I said before Pontiac hit the mark with this vehicle. Thank you Bob Lutz!

Lar Bear
09 Cool GXP manual Coupe

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Indeed. Even on the rare occasions ours has acted a bit fussy, it's never enough to outweigh the fun.

And when somebody in a BMW looks over to check it out I just think "Yep. All the fun at a fraction of the price buddy!"

·
Registered
344 Posts
It is a beautiful car. I think the design will stand up well to age as well. Some cars age well (911, last gen rx7), some do not (Lamborghini ****ash - sorry about the spelling). This one will. I expect to be just as proud of it in 15 years as I am now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Oops, it didn't like the way I spelled Countash. I left out the o, ant it saw a word that isn't especially polite. Wasn't intentional on my part.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I agree with the love of for our cars!! Just 10minutes ago, yes 10, a older gentleman in a nice truck with halo lights pulled beside me to wave and point at my car and give me the nod of approval. I happily waved back, smiled and roared off in joy!

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Pulled into a parking space in front of a local pub Sunday for lunch. 70's-ish guy getting out of a a Grand Prix right behind us asked if we wanted to trade our "plain jane" Pontiac for his - even offered it as a "straight up" trade. Obviously he was joking so I ribbed him back and said "That's tempting but I don't think she'd go for it." and nodded toward my wife. He then said "That is a beautiful car." I thanked him as I held the door open for him (even though he was wearing a Packers shirt.)

·
Premium Member
2007 Solstice
699 Posts
I remember the first TV advertisement I saw for the Solstice for the first year model (2006). I swore at that time that I would own one - and I bought the next year's model. I have had my baby since March 17, 2007, and have never regretted a single second of owning her. I have owned 63 cars since I was 16 years old and my Sol is my favorite. I love the stares, waves and smiles of appreciation my baby gets every time we go for a ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts